Orlando sacks TSA. TSA fights back with taxpayer funded PR "surge"

Revere

Rookie
Jan 23, 2010
Watching you in my profile page
Reminds me of Casss Sunstein, who says the government's best weapon against people who lie about government is to lie about them.

New York, Orlando join anti-TSA rebellion, TSA mounts PR effort

New York and Orlando aren't taking the TSA scanner/pat-down controversy lying down. Instead, officials in both places are fighting back. In Orlando, the Sanford airport is reportedly planning to take advantage of a little-known clause that allows airports to opt-out of TSA protection and instead use a federally approved private screening company.

"You're going to get better service at a better price and more accountability and better customer service," a Sanford Airport Authority official told a local Orlando news outlet. The airport is moving ahead with the opt-out, and says it will take about a year to complete.

Further north, in New York, Democratic city council officials are plotting to ban the TSA's nude scanners entirely, Wired reports. No airport or other facility would be allowed to operate a backscatter scanner inside New York city limits.

"We're not opting out of screening altogether," Greenfield told Wired's Threat Level blog. "We're simply banning one type of screening that hasn't proven effective."

Greenfeld and his fellow councilmembers are hoping to spark a chain reaction that leads to other cities banning the scanners. He invited the TSA to sue the city if they didn't like the ban.

The TSA's counteroffensive
The TSA, for its part, is countering the backlash with a PR offensive. The agency has a new blog post up that claims to rebut alleged myths about the backscatter scanners and pat-downs with facts. Some of the rebuttals work better than others. For instance, take the TSA's response to allegations that the pat-downs are invasive:

Reminds me of Casss Sunstein, who says the government's best weapon against people who lie about government is to lie about them.

New York and Orlando aren't taking the TSA scanner/pat-down controversy lying down. Instead, officials in both places are fighting back. In Orlando, the Sanford airport is reportedly planning to take advantage of a little-known clause that allows airports to opt-out of TSA protection and instead use a federally approved private screening company.

"You're going to get better service at a better price and more accountability and better customer service," a Sanford Airport Authority official told a local Orlando news outlet. The airport is moving ahead with the opt-out, and says it will take about a year to complete.

Further north, in New York, Democratic city council officials are plotting to ban the TSA's nude scanners entirely, Wired reports. No airport or other facility would be allowed to operate a backscatter scanner inside New York city limits.

"We're not opting out of screening altogether," Greenfield told Wired's Threat Level blog. "We're simply banning one type of screening that hasn't proven effective."

Greenfeld and his fellow councilmembers are hoping to spark a chain reaction that leads to other cities banning the scanners. He invited the TSA to sue the city if they didn't like the ban.

The TSA, for its part, is countering the backlash with a PR offensive. The agency has a new blog post up that claims to rebut alleged myths about the backscatter scanners and pat-downs with facts. Some of the rebuttals work better than others. For instance, take the TSA's response to allegations that the pat-downs are invasive:

I see the terrorist sympathers are coming out of the woodwork, and doing what they can to enable the enemy.

I see the terrorist sympathers are coming out of the woodwork, and doing what they can to enable the enemy.

and you think obama isn't giving support to terrorist by what he's doing and saying?

I think people are getting sick and tired of being punished for flying commercial airplanes.

I predict that this backscatter x-ray business isn't going to last.

And I see a dumbass that applauds when government goes too far.

How has government gone to far?

Crotch checks for starters. I think profiling is in order.

Simple question? Can terrorists sneak in bombs via their crotch? Can they hide materials on their bodies that only scanners might catch? Are you willing to allow planes to be blown up cause YOU are embarrassed by a pat down or a scan?

Simple question? Can terrorists sneak in bombs via their crotch? Can they hide materials on their bodies that only scanners might catch? Are you willing to allow planes to be blown up cause YOU are embarrassed by a pat down or a scan?

No embarassment about it. I think we need a system like the Israeli's have. Profiling.

Sorry but, it's YOU who are a terrorist sympathiser. Especially if you buy into the lies of these criminals!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VucstNtPy0Q&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

We've been had and YOU'RE not getting it!! Wake up!

No embarassment about it. I think we need a system like the Israeli's have. Profiling.

You are aware that WHITE Americans have joined the terrorists?

yes. yes.

and i have no doubt the nutters will answer yes to your last question.

Isn't it amazing that the Shoe Bomber and the Underpants Bomber BOTH were already on the planes before they were "discovered"?? So, that means that either the measures that were in place as far as security goes doesn't work OR they were intentionally let on the planes.

And what it looks like all this is for is so Michael Chertoff can fill his pockets while selling his scanners. (See the video above) Isn't i amazing how quickly those body scanners were made and put in place??

How much more of your American "freedoms" are you willing to give up before you all wake up??

Byrne said this means TSA workers will see any foreign objects close to the skin, including piercings, catheters, and colostomy bags.

Breast implants and prosthetic testicles will also be easily recognizable on the scanner screen.

Still not embarrassed? The X-ray technology has the ability to tell if a man is circumcised or not, although Byrne said the scanners are supposed to be designed to avoid that.

“Privacy algorithms software is used to create a blur effect that blurs out facial features and genital areas as they come up,” she said. “Although I don’t know if all the scanners are using them.”

Rumors have been floating around cyberspace about other potentially embarrassing objects that could be revealed in a scan, such as tampons, diaphragms, intrauterine devices and even penile implants. Byrne said this is all speculation.

Read more: Implants, Piercings and Prosthetics, Oh My! What You May Reveal to TSA Employees - FoxNews.com

For those that think touching things are the way to go. Why do the sexual offenders need to touch 3 years old children?
The AirSafe.com News: Is the TSA allowing convicted rapists to perform pat-down searches?

The ACLU has noted several types of common abuses:

•Unnecessary groping of passengers’ breast or genital areas

•Humiliating experiences including for disabled or transgendered passengers

•Lack of privacy during pat-downs

•Lack of respect for religious requirements.

Last edited:

Sure they can, but they can also hide bombs up their asses. Do you want to submit yourself to an anal search everytime you fly?

If people like yourself are so afraid you're wanting to subject everyone to these measures, perhaps its better if you drive where you want to go and the rest of us will assume the risk of being blown up by white business men and old ladies.

Why is I, a person who routinely calls on us to go recognize that Islam is a danger to freedom everywhere, who has said that no one has a right not to be offended, am suddenly a terrorist sympathizer because I think we should recognize that not everyone is a terrorist?

Forum List

Back