O'Reilly's War on Xmas = Owned

M

Max Power

oreillyholiday.jpg

Bill O'Reilly said:
Well, I'm not. Then the business community says we don't want to offend anybody, so we're not going to say "Merry Christmas." We're going to say "Happy Holidays, all right? That offends millions of Christians, see? Eighty-five percent of the country calls itself Christian. Fifteen percent of the country -- you figure these people could do the math if they're CEOs. Eighty-five percent Christian; they are into Christmas, OK? That's their big day. Fifteen percent aren't.

OOPS! Forgot to check your own website Bill!

:Owned:

Max Power said:
That offends millions of Christians, see? Eighty-five percent of the country calls itself Christian.
The problem with this statement is that Bill is suggesting that 100% of the Christians are offended enough by "Happy Holidays" to take their business elsewhere. I wonder what percentage of that 85% that call themselves Christians care more about their pocket books than what some retailer is calling December this year? I believe that as long as Wal-Mart is 5% cheaper than the stores around it, they could say "Happy Satan's Day" and most customers would be back the next week.

Max Power said:
oreillyholiday.jpg

First, who the freak cares? I care about as much for Orielly as I care about what kind of Christmas cookies I am eating. He could retire tomorrow and my life would be no more different than it is today.

Second, Your picture proves absolutely nothing. It's two easy to create mirror sites with differences or hack into a site or just photoshop it.

First, who the freak cares? I care about as much for Orielly as I care about what kind of Christmas cookies I am eating. He could retire tomorrow and my life would be no more different than it is today.

Second, Your picture proves absolutely nothing. It's two easy to create mirror sites with differences or hack into a site or just photoshop it.
While I don't know for sure, my opinion is that both captures are legit.

http://www.billoreilly.com/

I can't say that I went to O'Reilly's website on December 7, but if you go to it now, you will see that there isn't any recommended gifts option at all under "About Bill", or any where else on the site. He does have a Christmas store link to the left.

My opinion: Fake.

Jimmyeatworld said:

I can't say that I went to O'Reilly's website on December 7, but if you go to it now, you will see that there isn't any recommended gifts option at all under "About Bill", or any where else on the site. He does have a Christmas store link to the left.

exactly. this actually looks like it was photoshopped. something on it doesn't look 'right'.

this so-called screen shot is likely :bsflag:

I don't get it, even if it was changed from "Holidays" to "Christmas", how is that "PWND"? It says "Recommended Holiday Gifts" , not "Happy Holidays" as opposed to "Merry Christmas". There are other holidays during this time....Hannaka, New Years....

Jimmyeatworld said:

Yeah, umm, "Recommended Christmas gifts" is the first item on the "About Bill" menu. I don't know how you could possibly miss that.

And the rest of you can believe what you want to believe, but wanting something to be false won't make it so.

(But since you'd all probably say the same thing about me...)
Check this out
http://billoreilly.com/pg/jsp/general/buylist.jsp;jsessionid=B136D463329780BD9A10EEB95BBD8562

The web page says "Recommended Christmas Gifts," but if you look at the title of the page, it is still "BillOReilly.com Recommended Holiday Gifts."

OOPS!

Sometimes the coverup is worse than the crime.

Again I ask, how is the words "Recommended Holiday Gifts" in any way shape or form make him a hypocrit? The word changed from Holiday to Christmas (instead of Christmas to Holiday) so I don't see any 'hypocracy' here. And O'Reilly's rant was about using the term "Happy Holidays" versus "Merry Christmas", he never implied you shouldn't use the word "holiday" for anything. This is a pretty sad attempt to attack O'Reilly.

theHawk said:
Again I ask, how is the words "Recommended Holiday Gifts" in any way shape or form make him a hypocrit? The word changed from Holiday to Christmas (instead of Christmas to Holiday) so I don't see any 'hypocracy' here. And O'Reilly's rant was about using the term "Happy Holidays" versus "Merry Christmas", he never implied you shouldn't use the word "holiday" for anything. This is a pretty sad attempt to attack O'Reilly.

O'Reilly has been complaining about how people/companies are saying "Happy holidays," instead of "Merry Christmas."
His War on Christmas, is not limited to to that either, he complained about Sears and Kmart having "Wish Book Holiday 2005," on their website, as opposed to something that says Christmas in it. (link)

The hypocracy is that, while he was complaining about "holiday trees," and "holiday wish books," and all that jazz, his own website was participating in what he was complaining about.

Trying to cover it up, after the fact, does not clear him from being a hypocrite.

Just because you don't care doesn't mean that Max Power doesn't care. If Bill O'Reilly doesn't matter to you, then why does it matter to you what people have to say about him?

Here's the point Max can't get a handle on:

Bill O'Rielly feels upset retailers and other public establishments are 'afraid' to use Merry Christmas when they MEAN Merry Christmas...'holiday tree' instead of "Christmas Tree"...that sorta crap.

When Bill starts doing the job of Web Designer I'll fault him for mistakes on his website. I know there's some schmoe getting paid $75K a year to sit there handle that sorta stuff. Even still, on the context of the site, Holiday Gifts are appropriate if he's including gift ideas for more than one 'Holiday'. He's NOT hiding behind 'Holiday' when he really means 'Christmas' - despite how his website looks.

It's a case of one guy without a grasp of context looking for an 'Ah-HA!' Max is more concerned about finding fault than understanding the reason behind O'Reilly's attempts to motivate ppl to not be shy with their holiday greetings.

Max Power said:
Yeah, umm, "Recommended Christmas gifts" is the first item on the "About Bill" menu. I don't know how you could possibly miss that.

And the rest of you can believe what you want to believe, but wanting something to be false won't make it so.

(But since you'd all probably say the same thing about me...)
Check this out
http://billoreilly.com/pg/jsp/general/buylist.jsp;jsessionid=B136D463329780BD9A10EEB95BBD8562

The web page says "Recommended Christmas Gifts," but if you look at the title of the page, it is still "BillOReilly.com Recommended Holiday Gifts."

OOPS!

Sometimes the coverup is worse than the crime.

I've seen it now. My pop up blocker was screwing up the page.

O'Reilly has stuff for other holidays. I've heard him talking about gifts for Mother's Day, Valentines Day, etc. Most likely, rather than change the title of the entire page, they just change the holiday.

Oops! Don't realize there are holidays all througout the year?

By the way, I still think your screen capture is fake.

Max Power said:

Oppps, if your capture is real and accurate, then apparently he did check his own site, and thats why it was changed. OPPPSS

So, big deal, even if its true, they made a mistake and corrected it. Its not like he said, "well, I went with Happy holidays to not offend anyone", THEN he would be a hypocrite.

Besides, this is the best you got???

WEAK :crutch: :crutch: :crutch:

It seems to me that the ACLU demanding the removal of things like nativity scenes while ignoring symbols of other religions is a far better example of hypocrisy that anything O'Reilly has said.

Jimmyeatworld said:
It seems to me that the ACLU demanding the removal of things like nativity scenes while ignoring symbols of other religions is a far better example of hypocrisy that anything O'Reilly has said.

For example...?

Max Power said:
For example...?

Are you kidding? Name one time they have said anything about any other kind of symbol for any holiday other than a Christian based holiday. One.

The ACLU has been after symbols of Christmas left and right. They recently raised hell about a nativity scene being on display, but failed to mention that to get to the nativity scene someone would have to walk by a Menorah, as well as two or three other non-Christian symbols.

Jimmyeatworld said:
Are you kidding? Name one time they have said anything about any other kind of symbol for any holiday other than a Christian based holiday. One.

The ACLU has been after symbols of Christmas left and right. They recently raised hell about a nativity scene being on display, but failed to mention that to get to the nativity scene someone would have to walk by a Menorah, as well as two or three other non-Christian symbols.
Do you have a link to that story? Do you have links to stories about public buildings that have put up any non Christian religious symbols? The ACLU couldn't ask for other religious symbols to be taken down if none are being put up.

Forum List

Back