O'Reilly slanders American WWII heroes and then FOX washes it's transcripts...

GunnyL said:
Unless you know something I don't, My Lai was an escalation of events, not a premeditated thing.

You've just taken a position.

There is a huge difference between acting out of rage, and methodically lining people up in a ditch an shooting them in cold blood.

If what the reports say about Haditha is true, the Marines should answer for it. But it was no new My Lai.

nt250 said:
You've just taken a position.

There is a huge difference between acting out of rage, and methodically lining people up in a ditch an shooting them in cold blood.

If what the reports say about Haditha is true, the Marines should answer for it. But it was no new My Lai.

Hardly. I made a statement of fact. IF the allegations concerning Haditha are true, I see absolutely NO difference between what happened there and in My Lai.

I have only equated the two as a crime and a possible crime. I am not comparing the scale of the two, nor calling Haditha "another My Lai."

However, executing noncombatants is executing noncombatants is murder. It doesn't matter if they're lined up in a ditch or running around like chickens with their heads chopped off. The end result is the same, is it not?

GunnyL said:
Hardly. I made a statement of fact. IF the allegations concerning Haditha are true, I see absolutely NO difference between what happened there and in My Lai.

I have only equated the two as a crime and a possible crime. I am not comparing the scale of the two, nor calling Haditha "another My Lai."

However, executing noncombatants is executing noncombatants is murder. It doesn't matter if they're lined up in a ditch or running around like chickens with their heads chopped off. The end result is the same, is it not?

I don't think it is the same. Remember that incident last year with the soldier who shot the wounded prisoner? It was all over the news but I can't remember reading anything more about it, or what happened to the man.

I don't know. I've never been in that position and I'll never be in that position. But I have some sense of empathy for those who are.

I guess my problem is that I've never understood what was so bad about Abu Ghraib. I wish to hell someone would explain to me why our soldiers are doing jail time for that. Does the military routinely send the stupid to prison? All they were guilty of were taking pictures, for cryin' out loud.

nt250 said:
I don't think it is the same. Remember that incident last year with the soldier who shot the wounded prisoner? It was all over the news but I can't remember reading anything more about it, or what happened to the man.

The Marine's actions were considered justified and he was acquitted. Making a "better safe than sorry" judgement call involving a combatant in the heat of the moment is a LOT different, IMO, than intentionally targetting and executing noncombatants.

I don't know. I've never been in that position and I'll never be in that position. But I have some sense of empathy for those who are.

I personally have not been in a position where I had to choose who was and was not a combatant. I have a WHOLE LOT of empathy for those in that position, and it is why I have reserved personal judgement. I could easily have been put in that position, and I cannot say with 100% surety how exactly I would react.

I guess my problem is that I've never understood what was so bad about Abu Ghraib. I wish to hell someone would explain to me why our soldiers are doing jail time for that. Does the military routinely send the stupid to prison? All they were guilty of were taking pictures, for cryin' out loud.

The soldiers who violated the law in regard to the treatment of prisoners of war are serving time for just that. The severity of their sentences in no way are reflected by their juvenile actions, IMO. The left, in their self-righteous indignation, over-hyped the incident and demanded a pound of flesh, and their demands were caved to.

I was a member of differnt message board at the time, but if this one was like that one, the top three threads at any given time for over a year were "Abu Ghraib this or that." The left an dthe media are like sharks around wounded swimmer, and if there is no blood, they'll even draw it just to keep some BS stirred up.

GunnyL said:
The soldiers who violated the law in regard to the treatment of prisoners of war are serving time for just that. The severity of their sentences in no way are reflected by their juvenile actions, IMO. The left, in their self-righteous indignation, over-hyped the incident and demanded a pound of flesh, and their demands were caved to.

I was a member of differnt message board at the time, but if this one was like that one, the top three threads at any given time for over a year were "Abu Ghraib this or that." The left an dthe media are like sharks around wounded swimmer, and if there is no blood, they'll even draw it just to keep some BS stirred up.

Yeah. I was on a board then, too, and my reaction was "so what". The thing is that people are SO fucking sensitive to insulting Islam that it's comical. I mean, come on! I don't get it. Humiliating a prisoner is something someone should do jail time for?

These are people that kill at the slighest provocation and our service members are doing serious jail time because they took pictures of themselves laughing at them.

Unreal.

Is anyone still taking O'Reilly seriously? I mean really? The man is an idiot. Falaefel Bill being taken seriously? Come one, you're having a lend of me right? He's a pervert for crying out loud. Jeez.

nt250 said:
Yeah. I was on a board then, too, and my reaction was "so what". The thing is that people are SO fucking sensitive to insulting Islam that it's comical. I mean, come on! I don't get it. Humiliating a prisoner is something someone should do jail time for?

These are people that kill at the slighest provocation and our service members are doing serious jail time because they took pictures of themselves laughing at them.

Unreal.

The point is, it IS a violation of the law. Those soldiers knew better. The treatment of POWs is drummed into our heads from Day One. They violated the law, and were nto smart enough to consider the possible ramifications of their actions; which, we now see the result of.

While their crime does not merit the sentences they received, IMO, neither were the power trip "jollies" they got from humiliating other human beings worth what it cost them, and the US military as a whole.

Diuretic said:
Is anyone still taking O'Reilly seriously? I mean really? The man is an idiot. Falaefel Bill being taken seriously? Come one, you're having a lend of me right? He's a pervert for crying out loud. Jeez.

Do you really take people like O'Reilly that seriously? He's paid for his opinion. SOmetimes I agree, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I don't like his tactics.

But he IS entertaining at times, and some of the things he pushes (Jessica's Law) are good things.

"jasendorf," by starting this thread, does not mean to uphold the honor of the U.S. military. He means to bait conservatives by pointing to an instance in which a conservative commentator made a factual, though unflattering, statement about U.S. soliders.

In short, he's hoping for a "Coulter" effect.

William Joyce said:
"jasendorf," by starting this thread, does not mean to uphold the honor of the U.S. military. He means to bait conservatives by pointing to an instance in which a conservative commentator made a factual, though unflattering, statement about U.S. soliders.

In short, he's hoping for a "Coulter" effect.

I point out facts and let them sort themselves out. Just like every other poster on the site. Nothing more, nothing less. At least my posts have video to go with them! ;)

Forum List

Back