O'Reilly Called Racist for Remarks

Overt? I don't think he believes he's racist. My point was that anyone who is surprised that a group of black people acted "civilized" IS racist.

I don't think that was his reaction though. He was reacting to Juan Williams comment on what many white people think... and O'RLY was simply adding his schtick to it. I don't think he was surprised. He may WANT people to think he was surprised just to up his ratings... but I don't think he was surprised.

O'RLY is too much of an extremist ideologue to be a racist... he will side with anyone who is with him on social and political issues. He might be a racist by proxy in that he hates all liberals and most black Americans are liberals. But, I think he hates them for being liberal... not for being black.

I don't think that was his reaction though. He was reacting to Juan Williams comment on what many white people think... and O'RLY was simply adding his schtick to it. I don't think he was surprised. He may WANT people to think he was surprised just to up his ratings... but I don't think he was surprised.

I don't know if you heard his whole statement. He started out doing exactly what you're saying and then said how surprised he was that no one was yelling from the tables and that this black-owned restaurant is "just like" white owned restaurants.

It's like when you hear someone white speak who's articulate, it wouldn't be worth a comment. But when black people speak well, there's always someone saying "oooh... you speak so well"... like it's a surprise.

CNN's Roland Martin on O'Reilly comment: "[L]ast I checked, I didn't hand over my brain to Rev. Sharpton"

I have given a careful analysis of this Sharpton lunch affair and the subsequent creative comments rendered by O'RLY (thread standard).

O'rly has a keen sense of biting invective that passes for humor in the cerebral circuitry of a tiny minority of the English speaking world. I know that because I am one of them. My targets of opportunity are much different that o'rly's. Besides, I'm nice and he's a MFer.

I have broken bread in a lot of dinning establishments. I am an aficionado of conventional and out of the ordinary regional cuisine. I am particularly fond of "country" cooking that incorporates strange pork components, diverse cooked greens and cornbread. I am also fond of cobblers and pies that are scratch made. Some may call that "Soul" but it is in fact a soul that is shared across a broad swath of the human melanin factor that originated in the southern US.

As usual Bro' 'r has chosen to craft his comments in the style that endears his to those who share his regressive circuitry.

From my perspective - quantum, universal, humanist (a very pleasant and constructive perspective) - I find that bro o will not get my vote for mr congeniality this cycle.

Do you suppose my seeming affection for husky men of partial Afro decent and in possession of a killed conk is in any way pathological?

My thanks to Bill Buckley, to Bill Cosby and to Bill the Cat for their contributions to my method and style.

Did you know that Humble Pie is a dish composed of animal intestines? And, was an extraordinarily fine collection of musicians.

I AM

Overt? I don't think he believes he's racist. My point was that anyone who is surprised that a group of black people acted "civilized" IS racist.

I do believe, from my perspective, that "insulting moron" is the best descriptive component within the broader pathology that may have a different but more popular name that describes racial attitudes.

Insulting moronic race baiter may even be more applicable.

I AM

Just go ask people of color which one is a racist and you will have a real answer.

I do believe, from my perspective, that "insulting moron" is the best descriptive component within the broader pathology that may have a different but more popular name that describes racial attitudes.

Insulting moronic race baiter may even be more applicable.

I AM

"insulting moron", "insulting moronic race baiter"... heh... I'm not sure he actually intended to be a race baiter. So I'll go with the first. ;o)

Quite simply, black people are the most racist people on earth, period. There is no denying that. They feel that since they were slaves, that entitles them to a permanent status of entitlement and racism against whites. Can you say "reparations?"

The black on white war... http://www.heretical.com/miscella/sheehan.html

BS, it's as simple as that. Further,I don't beleive that is posted by Pale rider. If it were, he would be posting a great deal more.

Huh? Wanna back that up?

You read it, O'Reilly is as much a racist as Olbermann.

On the September 9 broadcast of NBC's "Football Night in America," Olbermann made a crack that could be taken to be, at the very least, racially insensitive, and at most blatantly racist.

He narrated over a highlight reel of the Buffalo Bills/Bronco game and threw in an little word-play using a black player's first name:

With the Denver drive having stalled, Roscoe Parrish on the punt return. Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles at its finest. He could go the entire distance and does and it's seven-zip Bills.

Here's a link to the audio:

Chicken & Waffles

I'm not fond of the source for the audio, but it was all I could find.

For those not in the know, Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles is a very popular soul food restaurant in Los Angeles (damn good food, BTW).

Now, I don't listen to or watch O'Reilly nor do I listen to or watch Olbermann, I can't stand either one of them. O'Reilly gets on my nerves and Olbermann is as big a partisan hack as any commentator I've seen, on the level of Hannity. Since this controversy hit the news cycle I went and listened to the discussion in question and, while I can see where an opportunist could mine some racist gold out of it, it was not, IMO, racist in content or intent. The discussion was based on the stereotypes we the public see on a daily basis.

It was based on the fact that what we see, more than anything else, are the rappers and comics,the ones who are fond of words like "ho" and "bitch" and "******" and "mother fucker." The point being made was that there is a need for better representation of the Black communtity because the image most people have is based on that. Gangsta rappers who rap about cop killing and violence against women and drugs. O'Reilly was simply pointing out that, contrary to what some may think based on the image they have of Black culture, the reality is much different. At best his choice of the word "surprised" was ill advised, but the conversation itself was harmless. He was addressing the fear many white people have of black people because of the images they see everyday. He was attempting to explain that mainstream black America is no different than mainstream white America.

Oh, and unless you've actually listened to the discussion in question, I would think twice before slapping the racist label on anyone. Especially if your source is Media Matters.

So, as I stated before, O'Reilly is as much a racist as Olbermann

You read it, O'Reilly is as much a racist as Olbermann.

On the September 9 broadcast of NBC's "Football Night in America," Olbermann made a crack that could be taken to be, at the very least, racially insensitive, and at most blatantly racist.

He narrated over a highlight reel of the Buffalo Bills/Bronco game and threw in an little word-play using a black player's first name:

Here's a link to the audio:

Chicken & Waffles

I'm not fond of the source for the audio, but it was all I could find.

For those not in the know, Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles is a very popular soul food restaurant in Los Angeles (damn good food, BTW).

Now, I don't listen to or watch O'Reilly nor do I listen to or watch Olbermann, I can't stand either one of them. O'Reilly gets on my nerves and Olbermann is as big a partisan hack as any commentator I've seen, on the level of Hannity. Since this controversy hit the news cycle I went and listened to the discussion in question and, while I can see where an opportunist could mine some racist gold out of it, it was not, IMO, racist in content or intent. The discussion was based on the stereotypes we the public see on a daily basis.

It was based on the fact that what we see, more than anything else, are the rappers and comics,the ones who are fond of words like "ho" and "bitch" and "******" and "mother fucker." The point being made was that there is a need for better representation of the Black communtity because the image most people have is based on that. Gangsta rappers who rap about cop killing and violence against women and drugs. O'Reilly was simply pointing out that, contrary to what some may think based on the image they have of Black culture, the reality is much different. At best his choice of the word "surprised" was ill advised, but the conversation itself was harmless. He was addressing the fear many white people have of black people because of the images they see everyday. He was attempting to explain that mainstream black America is no different than mainstream white America.

Oh, and unless you've actually listened to the discussion in question, I would think twice before slapping the racist label on anyone. Especially if your source is Media Matters.

So, as I stated before, O'Reilly is as much a racist as Olbermann

First, if you read the the thread, then you know I heard the entire comment. I have also said I didn't think O'Reilly INTENDED to be racist. I think he's just predisposed to seeing black people in terms of negative stereotypes. This surprised me, actually, from someone who lives in an urban environment and is surrounded with corporate-type people of all stripes.

As for Olbermann. I will listen to the link after Survivor China ;)

But, if (and mind you, I said IF) it seems like your link implies, then Olbermann's comment was pretty stupid. Do I know if it was racist, I don't. Like I said, will listen to your link. And thank you for the warning about the source.

FWIW, I love Keith Olbermann and HATE Bill O'Reilly. But my dislike for him wouldn't make me say he made racist comments if I didn't think he did. And, by the by, I also love Joe Scarborough. I disagree with him on most core issues, but I think he's straight up and he's not a hate-monger. (If that gives you an idea of where I'm coming from).

Park Slope? Well, at least it's not likely that I ever ran into you at Santa Fe. (I figure Mexican Food ain't your thing).

We all have bad experieces. Doesn't paint an entire race of people with the brush.

As for Asian kids never acting like that, depends on where the gangs are that attact the bad elements. In china town, you might see something a bit different than the stereotype in your head. Same for Russians in my part of the world.

What I find pathetic is that someone who is in a rich environment, with everything good and bad around him, can reduce the world to cultural stereotypes and refuse to view individuals.

I still so wouldn't want to be you. Inside your head must be a very ugly place.

Santa Fe... not sure where that is. I always liked Elora's, in Windsor Park, and Rancho Allegre on 7th Ave. Great food. Of course, for Thai, you cannot beat Thai Rice Kitchen, and for Indian, Bombay Grill is better than India House, which I think closed.

As for generalizations about blacks, Doug's post nails it pretty well. Generalities, though course, can indeed be true. I don't really need a "stereotype in my head" on Chinatown (lower Manhattan's) because I've spent time there. There are Asian gangs, but you'll never see them. They prey only on other Asians.

Here's one New York Jew who does not see things as you do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Levin

Doug: Yes, my screen name is the British spokesman for the Nazis, which is a little provocative, to be sure, but attenuated... he was British, after all, or a version thereof, and he came to captivate me when I lived in Brooklyn because he was born there. If you read his biography, you can't help but be impressed that he stuck by his principles from start to finish. He ended up dying simply for what he believed and spoke out for. He made not a dime from his convictions. I certainly don't endorse every jot and tittle of the Nazi regime, but WJ impressed me. He's also obscure enough that anyone who checks into who he is - or knows anyway - tips me off to someone who's also, even if not "on my side," looking at things more closely than your average Fox-watching Republican or close-minded NPR-listening liberal. And maybe we can agree that those sorts can get pretty damn tiresome.

First, if you read the the thread, then you know I heard the entire comment. I have also said I didn't think O'Reilly INTENDED to be racist. I think he's just predisposed to seeing black people in terms of negative stereotypes. This surprised me, actually, from someone who lives in an urban environment and is surrounded with corporate-type people of all stripes.

I was feeling facetious.

I don't think O'Reilly sees black people in terms of negative stereotypes. I think that, for the purposes of his discussion, he was addressing the fact that many white Americans do harbor these stereotypes because of the pop culture representation we all see.

As for Olbermann. I will listen to the link after Survivor China ;)

I've got another hour. I pulling for the grave digger.

But, if (and mind you, I said IF) it seems like your link implies, then Olbermann's comment was pretty stupid. Do I know if it was racist, I don't. Like I said, will listen to your link. And thank you for the warning about the source.

Keep in mind, I don't believe either one of them are racists. My only point is that what O'Reilly said is no worse than Olbermann's comment in his voice over and that if what O'Reilly said makes him a racist or racially insensitive, well, the same can be said of Olbie. As for the source, NewsBusters. The conservative equivalent of Media Matters. I am loathe to source any blog, especially those that are blatantly partisan.

FWIW, I love Keith Olbermann and HATE Bill O'Reilly. But my dislike for him wouldn't make me say he made racist comments if I didn't think he did. And, by the by, I also love Joe Scarborough. I disagree with him on most core issues, but I think he's straight up and he's not a hate-monger. (If that gives you an idea of where I'm coming from).

I haven't like Olbermann since his days as a local sportscaster in Los Angeles. I used to listen to O'Reilly, but his schtick grew old. Much like Hannity he plays the same tune over and over. Unlike Hannity, however, he seemed willing to take members of both parties to task when necessary. Of course that was a while back. I don't mind Scarborough, but I do have some questions about the dead girl, Lori Klausutis, who was found in his Florida office back in '01. I can't stand Hannity or Colmes but I can tolerate Glenn Beck in small doses.

Just to give you an idea where I'm comming from, LOL. ;)

While I don't believe those comments were PC, I don't think he is a racist. The Libs like to mark all conservatives as racist.

Shogun is a prefect example!

agreed 100%.

Here are 2 stories that tell of my experiences with blacks (make of this what you will)-
1. in summer camp, we all had lockers in a building near the entrance of the camp. One day a black kid came along and decided to dump my clothes out and make the locker his. I went to a counselor, they told me they couldn't do anything.
2. While on my way home from the city, a guy cut me off. I yelled "dickhead'.
He followed me half way home, got out of his car. I had stopped my car to see what he wanted. Well, about 2 weeks later we met again at a gas station and he backs me into a corner saying he wanted to kick my stupid honky ass because he thought i called him n***** (dickhead kinda sounds like that, suppose). I told him he better back the fuck off or he'll get a knee up in his crotch.

<b>William Joyce</b>: there are many people, from every possible political persuasion, who, when examined closely, have some admirable qualities. To choose as your screen name a particular one of these people, unless you are being entirely ironic, is a statement of general sympathy with their politics -- or at least will be seen that way -- unless it is quite obvious that you are not sympathetic with them.

Of course, even Hitler did not agree with "every jot and tittle" of the Nazi program, or at least not with its practice. He used to joke about the literal-mindedness with which lower-level Nazis carried out their orders.

What I don't like about your view of the world is that it is a primitive, tribalist view of the world, and in its implications literally genocidal.

It's not "evil" in some abstract sense -- it is in fact the world-view of most of our ancestors, and of a huge part of humanity today. Although today it is disguised somewhat by people who want to appeal to those who don't have this view, and/or by people who are too weak to implement it on behalf of their own race. (Thus, I am sure it is the view of most Black militants.) We see it also, very thinly disguised and sometimes not even disguised, with Zionist fanatics and Palestinian terrorists. The zoological view of the world.

And in the world as it actually is, with all the tribes mixing together more and more, it is a view that gets in the way of making life livable.

For example, whites and Blacks have got to live together in the USA, whether we like it or not, despite the fact that whole books can be written on either side full of entirely true grievances one against the other.

So we have to engage is some mutual hypocrisies, great enlargements of how I routinely act around a mother with an ugly or stupid child. The trick is to maintain friendship without lying too blatantly.

In the case of whites and Blacks, we saw some terrible atrocities committed against Blacks by whites not too long ago in history. And we see some terrible atrocities committed against whites by Blacks today. Apologists for either side can no doubt justify them or try to muddy the waters by recounting contrary evidence, but facts is facts.

We've got to work out a way of living together that can allow anyone who obeys the law to have a good shot at doing well in life. Tribalism diverts us from this task. How can we support and develop a current of opinion among Black people that will combat the self-destructive elements of their people, if we appear to have disdain for all of them. (I know you say you don't, but the logic of your arguments is against that.)

And there is something else I don't like about tribalism. I'm a Southern white from a fairly modest economic background. (My grandparents were farmers on both sides, and quite poor on my mother's side.) If I had to confine my friendships and intellectual interactions with white Anglo-Saxon Protestants, it would be boring as hell. I want to be able to talk to and even perhaps make friends with all kinds of people, so long as they are intelligent and generally benevolently-inclined.

And in particular, I like Jews. I didn't meet any to speak of until I went off to college on the East Coast, and realized what I had been missing by being brought up exclusively among Methodists and Baptists. Wow! The intelligence, the sense of humor, the committment to social justice ... it was wonderful.

And that's the real crime of the Nazis: when Vienna had Jews, it became, after the First World War, the world's intellectual capital, in music, in philosophy, in mathematics, in physics ... then the Austrians, gripped by tribalism, murdered all their Jews, and today Vienna is just a bunch of pretty buildings.

So it is surprising to me that a man of your evident intelligence can be a tribalist. I blame the liberals.

Santa Fe... not sure where that is. I always liked Elora's, in Windsor Park, and Rancho Allegre on 7th Ave. Great food. Of course, for Thai, you cannot beat Thai Rice Kitchen, and for Indian, Bombay Grill is better than India House, which I think closed.

As for generalizations about blacks, Doug's post nails it pretty well. Generalities, though course, can indeed be true. I don't really need a "stereotype in my head" on Chinatown (lower Manhattan's) because I've spent time there. There are Asian gangs, but you'll never see them. They prey only on other Asians.

Here's one New York Jew who does not see things as you do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Levin

Doug: Yes, my screen name is the British spokesman for the Nazis, which is a little provocative, to be sure, but attenuated... he was British, after all, or a version thereof, and he came to captivate me when I lived in Brooklyn because he was born there. If you read his biography, you can't help but be impressed that he stuck by his principles from start to finish. He ended up dying simply for what he believed and spoke out for. He made not a dime from his convictions. I certainly don't endorse every jot and tittle of the Nazi regime, but WJ impressed me. He's also obscure enough that anyone who checks into who he is - or knows anyway - tips me off to someone who's also, even if not "on my side," looking at things more closely than your average Fox-watching Republican or close-minded NPR-listening liberal. And maybe we can agree that those sorts can get pretty damn tiresome.

Spent last Cinco de mayo at Rancho Allegre, but usually end up for Thai or Indian food in the East village or in Queens. 35th Street in Manhattan is for Korean, though there's a good place in Bay Ridge called Kimchee, up on Third Ave.

I disagree with your premise and with Doug's post, which I'm sure comes as no surprise to you. I find that there are all kinds of really good reasons to hate people other than the fortunes of their birth.

As for Michael Levin, there really isn't much one can say about a white supremacist Jew. Stokholm Syndrome comes to mind. Certainly, at a bare minimum, a Jew would have to be so self-hating as to want to obliterate his own existence to support white supremacists. I'm sure you'd agree that such people do not exactly have our longevity in mind. So, you'll forgive me, I'm unimpressed with Mr. Levin.

Lord Haw Haw, didn't die for his convictions. He died because he was a traitor to his country. As for not endorsing every "jot and tittle" of the Nazi regime, which part would you have left out? Mengele's "experiments"? The gas chambers of Auschwitz? The Warsaw Ghetto? Destruction of the German intelligentsia? Or would you just not have Hitler try to take on the Russian winter?

It is indeed posted by Pale Rider.
perhaps the original???? if the later posts were really posted by him. he has certainly calmed down a great deal. I have gone round and round with four separate renditions of Pale Rider.--palerider, pale_rider, and another tag which I don't really recall

I

I've got another hour. I pulling for the grave digger.

I can't stand Hannity or Colmes but I can tolerate Glenn Beck in small doses.

QUOTE]

1. Perhaps Digby Odell, (your friendly undertaker of "Life of Riley" Fame)

2.As for Glenn Beck, I see too much of him ---by accident. I think he is an absolute Jackass.

Forum List

Back