Orange Alert!...Yawn

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
Now that we're back to condition "Yellow" (<i>Come to think of it, I have been a bit jaundiced lately</i>) I really can't tell the difference.

I mean, Iwould have felt a whole lot safer during condition "Orange" it the Air Traffic Safety Administration hadn't laid off some 6,000 baggage screeners at air ports around the country because they didn't have the money to pay them. Funny, the administration was able to pass an $87 billion dollar taz-cut, but couldn't find the money to pay for baggage screeners.

I would also have felt a whole lot safer if Congress hadn't scuttled a bill , at the behest of the petro/chem industry, requiring much tighter security at petro-chemical facilities around the country. There are scores of sites where a one-eyed monkey with a hand grenade could walk up to a chemical storage tank and cause hundreds, if not thousands, of deaths from the deliberate release of those chemicals. Petro-chem lobbyists did their best poor-mouthing act, "It would be too expensive!", they whined. And Congress agreed. Apparently non-campaign contributing U.S. citizens don't even get on the Congressional radar screen.

Forum List

Back