Oral Roberts' son accused of misspending

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By JUSTIN JUOZAPAVICIUS, Associated Press Writer
Thu Nov 8, 2:25 PM ET

TULSA, Okla. - A Beverly Hills house and country club membership. Vacations in Palm Springs and the South Seas. A closet as big as an apartment, stuffed with hundreds of pairs of shoes, suits, dresses and golf shoes.

People with close ties to TV evangelist Oral Roberts and his son, Richard, say they witnessed such extravagances years before a recent lawsuit accusing them of lavish spending engulfed the ministers and their debt-ridden university in scandal.

Harry McNevin said in a recent interview that he quit the Board of Regents at Oral Roberts University in disgust in 1987 after it became clear that the Robertses were dipping into the school's endowment fund for their personal use.

more ...http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071108/ap_on_re_us/oral_roberts_spending

This pretty-much covers my distaste for organized religion.

Ah yes. I remember good old Oral Roberts.

http://atheism.about.com/library/glossary/western/bldef_robertsoral.htm

Roberts achieved widespread notoriety in 1987 when, during extreme financial difficulties, he proclaimed that God would "call him home" if he did not raise the $8 million necessary to keep his operations open. Fortunately for Roberts, just three hours before the announced deadline the goal was reached through the donation of $1.3 from a dog track owner. Despite this, his City of Faith Medical Center had to be closed just two years later.

I know. Don’t base the truthfulness of the message on the behavior of the messenger, but if people really believed in eternal salvation and happiness how could they even dare think of pulling this garbage!

Ah yes. I remember good old Oral Roberts.

http://atheism.about.com/library/glossary/western/bldef_robertsoral.htm

Roberts achieved widespread notoriety in 1987 when, during extreme financial difficulties, he proclaimed that God would "call him home" if he did not raise the $8 million necessary to keep his operations open. Fortunately for Roberts, just three hours before the announced deadline the goal was reached through the donation of $1.3 from a dog track owner. Despite this, his City of Faith Medical Center had to be closed just two years later.

I know. Don’t base the truthfulness of the message on the behavior of the messenger, but if people really believed in eternal salvation and happiness how could they even dare think of pulling this garbage!

Preachers who use God to amass personal wealth preying off the goodness of others SUCK.

yea.. TBN...

the spirit of jim baker lives!

Yep. TBN is not very forthcoming and transparent with its accounting practices either. I looked into information on it. It seems to be a little bit cleaner than the PTL was. Yet, there was an allegation of homosexual harassment. One can only hope that there is not crass adultery, hush money, and tax evasion as there was with the PTL Club.

I honestly believe, and this is coming from an athiest so take it for what it's worth, that the whole "not taking the lords name in yadda yadda" speaks more to what TBN is doing than someone who says Goddammit or Jesus Fucking Christ.

their entire premise weakens the message and plants seeds of distrust while, CLEARLY, being exactly what pissed ole jebus off about the moneychangers in the temple.

that's my take on it anyway. If you get the chance watch their specials on Christians and Jews for Zionism. They make no effort to hide the fact that they want Iran bombed. Ironic, considering the message of their messiah.

fred phelps is only a transmitter away from being what TBN is today. I like to give Christians more credit than what can be seen on that channel.