OPTOMETRY: 3 Puffs in Each Eye?

GLASNOST

Gold Member
Aug 1, 2016
Ouma se rondovel
I went for an eye examination last week in order to be fitted with a new prescription in my eye glasses. This time they put my head into a new machine that shot a puff of air straight into my eyeball. Painful! I asked for an explanation but all she gave me was an obscure story about how it's important to measure the eye's ability to “take pressure”. It sounds like BS to me. Is everyone expected to so this crazy “test” now? If so, what explanation have they given you?
smiley_eyes.gif

These machines have been around for over 20 years.

Surprised that your backwoods doc has finally got one this late.

It's been a few years since I was last at the optometrist .... but it hasn't been as long as 20 years. Anyway, I will refuse taking that test next time, and as you haven't provided an adequate explanation for its purpose I see no reason to do so. I'll be 70 years old next birthday and I've got along very nicely without it.

It's been a few years since I was last at the optometrist .... but it hasn't been as long as 20 years. Anyway, I will refuse taking that test next time, and as you haven't provided an adequate explanation for its purpose I see no reason to do so. I'll be 70 years old next birthday and I've got along very nicely without it.

VERY IMPORTANT TEST----it measures the pressure in the
EYEBALL--------Increased pressure in the EYEBALL_---damages the retina and slowly-----slowly so you do not notice---leads to blindness-----EVERY YEAR-----expecially as you get
into ----uhm "elderly"----(think 55 as "elderly"). ---oh gee----70---EVERY YEAR!!!!!!!

Granny says...

... so what do dey espect blowin' smoke up yer butt...

... will measure?

the machine supplies an accurate measure of the pressure INTENAL to your eye by puffing an external PRESSUE onto
the outside of the BALL. You want an explanation of how the
damn machine works? IT WORKS!!!!!! ----very important. The retina consists of nerve fibers that under prolonged increased pressue----DROP DEAD------slowly-----starting at the periphery-----you end up with arcuate scotomas-----(don't ask---you just DO)----the peripheral vision is affected first

My understanding is the air puff machine measures the pressure the eye can handle but is not adequate all by itself. The eye needs to be dilated so the doctor can look into the eye and see if there is damage/change inside.
eye-problems-diseases - Glaucoma

My understanding is the air puff machine measures the pressure the eye can handle but is not adequate all by itself. The eye needs to be dilated so the doctor can look into the eye and see if there is damage/change inside.
eye-problems-diseases - Glaucoma

it measures the PRESSURE within the eyeball----dilation of the pupil and
examination of the retina---REVEALS other things---it is true that prolonged
increased pressure in the eye DOES cause visible changes in the retina---
specifically enlargement of the cup of the optic nerve and pallor of the retina---
these are late changes------ALSO the retina can show other things-----like stuff related to diabetes and-------evidence of increased INTRACRANIAL pressue and macular degeneration-----and other stuff

i dont care for the puff test lol nor do i care to have my eyes dilated....the list of things i dont care for go on and on.....yet they are must do things...the eye puff is nothing in the grand scheme of things and a 70 yr old should know that...

i dont care for the puff test lol nor do i care to have my eyes dilated....the list of things i dont care for go on and on.....yet they are must do things...the eye puff is nothing in the grand scheme of things and a 70 yr old should know that...

GOOD BOY!!! <or girl---or thing of no specific gender>

Those are machines are one of the ways to test for glaucoma. It isn't really painful just very discomforting for me, I hate anything touching my eyeballs, contacts were never an option for me. I believe they have been replaced in better offices with laser type machines here though.

Those are machines are one of the ways to test for glaucoma. It isn't really painful just very discomforting for me, I hate anything touching my eyeballs, contacts were never an option for me. I believe they have been replaced in better offices with laser type machines here though.

calm yourself----the OLD FASHIONED machines for glaucoma
(intraocular pressure) did touch the eyeball----but the "SWISH"---blast of air DOES NOT------ Laser has nothing to do with it----
BE HAPPY with the "SWISH" thing and stop being a wuss. There is a reason why God decided that pregnancy must
be confined to women.---------sheeeeeesh---MEN!!!

boys could never tolerate so much as the menses cycle

VERY IMPORTANT TEST----it measures the pressure in the
EYEBALL--------Increased pressure in the EYEBALL_---damages the retina and slowly-----slowly so you do not notice---leads to blindness-----EVERY YEAR-----expecially as you get
into ----uhm "elderly"----(think 55 as "elderly"). ---oh gee----70---EVERY YEAR!!!!!!!
The VA starts testing every year after 50...

Then you must hate opening your eyes and letting oxygen touch your eyeballs..

calm yourself----the OLD FASHIONED machines for glaucoma
(intraocular pressure) did touch the eyeball----but the "SWISH"---blast of air DOES NOT------ Laser has nothing to do with it----
BE HAPPY with the "SWISH" thing and stop being a wuss. There is a reason why God decided that pregnancy must
be confined to women.---------sheeeeeesh---MEN!!!

boys could never tolerate so much as the menses cycle
We have to put up with females during their visit from aunt flow, that is no easy task..

At 70 things definitely start to fall apart.

The original warranty is only good to about 45 or so.

After that you need to start to have old worn out parts removed, like appendix, gall bladder, uterus, ovaries, prostate, mammaries, bits of colon here and there, tumors, abnormal growths.

If your eyes need surgery then the sooner you find out the better your chances.

Forum List

Back