Options

Comrade

Jan 9, 2004
Seattle, WA.
What options exists with respect to North Korea?

1. Cut off all aid and witness a breakdown in their society.

#1 Ensures a complete collapse of NK society. Mass starvation and suffering and eventual anarchy outside of Pyongyang. But the leaders will remain in power and their army will continue to be favorably supplied, above all else. Before that goes, the only option left would be war, or the credible threat of it. More likely, they'll find a backdoor and stay afloat long enough to drive home the fact it's our actions that punish their subjects while they remain in power and suffer no pain. That's a really bad idea but not insane. It's reversable.

2. Declare war and attempt to quickly depose the regime.

#2 Guarantees a massive loss of life in both countries, and among their eight nukes some will likely kill millions in S.K., US, or Japan. UNLESS we bring the missle defense program online this is a bad option. Seoul will be a smoldering ash heap in any case. And being the aggressor, China panics and maybe comes in against the attack to protect their borders and this buffer state. South Korea would never agree to Seoul being destroyed, under immediate fire from tens of thousands of artillery shells. The WORST option of all is this one.

3. Assasinate "dear leader" and other key government officials.

#3 Assumes the next piece of shit who rises in his place is going to throw away his life goal and let his family and future die on the vine for some reform. Or he tries to do so and is killed by others who are just happy to be elite in the party structure. And if we try and fail to kill Kim Il the little pissant will probably retaliate. So that plan doesn't offer much possibility either way. This option is not too risky but offers no reward.

4. Nuke the whole site from orbit.

#4 This is a nasty and murderous kind of thing to do. China will react, and Seoul is toasted, and the world is pissed off.

And even then a few nukes may get through to us and millions die in the US or Japan.

Still, in my opinion, a surpise attack, knowing in advance the locations of the launch sites, and hitting the leadership alongside in tandem, that's probably our best shot at some kind of "win" in the following years. We wait longer than that, and more nukes and longer ranged missiles end this option.

But if it succeed, were still left with some toxic nationa full of dead and dying North Koreans. That's wrong.

And of course, Seoul is a heap of smoldering ash.

5. Wait and see.

#5 Is the status-quo now, of course.

We give them enough oil and subsidy so that Kim has enough to stay in power and maintain his army, without getting nervous about how he can still keep his regime going.

He's also looking at options 1-4 as well, and notes that every one leave him dead.

Kim prefers #5 but talks alot about 1-4 so we can get back to #5 and more money for his regime.

And some day, he'll pop off and up goes the third portrait on the walls of every home and office. We'll probably fund that as well.

And several hundred Mirved ICBM's can reach the continents and we'll have to basically fold to more demands and perhaps even face their nukes at the hands of those terrorist groups they sponsor. Unless the missle defence tech kicks into high gear and outpaces their own missile tech we need to nuke them right now, to get out from under this losing battle.

BUT....

6. Be a creative genuis

All the conventional options suck, so brainstorm.

I like the idea of loading up a high altitude aircraft service with stacks of literature, small and cheap two-way radios ($10 each now!), and dishes for tv. Sure, many will go to waste but many will fall into the hands of those who dare to discover the outside world.

Anyone have more ideas?

Military strategy not one of my strengths, but sometimes the best way to figure something out, is to start with where the enemy seems to be going. I think this might be a good place to start:

http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usawc/parameters/03spring/hodge.htm

I found a few more interesting reads, (well if you're interested in this kind of thing):

http://www.army.mil/professionalwriting/volumes/volume2/july_2004/7_04_1.html

for a bit of sabre rattling:

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article3099.htm

and somewhat the same type of questions:

http://cns.miis.edu/research/korea/rethink.htm

start feeding and supplying a young group. get them a taste of what real freedom is. help them start a rebellion. supply a coup. provide enough political instability to rally the people. Not leave them hanging like bush sr did to the iraqis.

DKSuddeth said:
start feeding and supplying a young group. get them a taste of what real freedom is. help them start a rebellion. supply a coup. provide enough political instability to rally the people. Not leave them hanging like bush sr did to the iraqis.

Dk, doesn't seem the people have enough food to stage a rebellion. This country makes Iran look like a first world nation.

Kathianne said:
Dk, doesn't seem the people have enough food to stage a rebellion. This country makes Iran look like a first world nation.

they will if we supply them. Don't supply the country, supply the people. thats where it begins and ends.

DKSuddeth said:
they will if we supply them. Don't supply the country, supply the people. thats where it begins and ends.

How? Seriously! The country is as close to walled off as possible, though I suppose the massive flights with literature would help. However, the people are totally dependent on Kim and seem completely brainwashed about US attacking them.

Kathianne said:
Damn, why didn't I think of that? :dunno: :D

Seriously--the democrats have been sitting back and criticizing everything Bush has done in terms of foriegn policy. Since this is an issue that the democrats have been pointing to as a priority (more dangereous than Iraq), I'm sure they have devised ways of dealing with the situations. If I were Bush I would ask for input immediately !!!!!! Win Win situation.

dilloduck said:
Seriously--the democrats have been sitting back and criticizing everything Bush has done in terms of foriegn policy. Since this is an issue that the democrats have been pointing to as a priority (more dangereous than Iraq), I'm sure they have devised ways of dealing with the situations. If I were Bush I would ask for input immediately !!!!!! Win Win situation.

There may be a place for you in politics!

dilloduck said:
Hell lets make our own and charge big time for our "brilliance" ! :dance: :dance:

Now there's a plan! Hey those two guys together remind me of the Blues Brothers, all they need are the fedoras!

Has anyone bothered to condemn them in the UN for human right's violations? I know that's basically useless, but it's the proper first step.

Demand better conditions and more politcal freedom for the North Korean people.

Insist on inspections of suspected WMD installations.

Demand they relinquish or dismantle any WMD they have.

Threaten to forcibly cut off all aid.

Get China on our side, or else good-bye 'Favored Nation Status'.

Conduct massive naval exercises around Japan.

Conduct beach invasion exercises in South Korea.

Speed up, if possible, ABM technology development.

Publically deploy our latest ABM efforts in South Korea, Japan, and the western U.S.

Build nuclear bunker busters, and make it public.

Task additional satellites to monitor North Korea to create the most exhaustive list of likely targets possible.

If North Korea is found to be actively conspiring with terrorists, attack them, whatever the consequences.

Zhukov said:
Has anyone bothered to condemn them in the UN for human right's violations? I know that's basically useless, but it's the proper first step.

Demand better conditions and more politcal freedom for the North Korean people.

Insist on inspections of suspected WMD installations.

Demand they relinquish or dismantle any WMD they have.

Threaten to forcibly cut off all aid.

Get China on our side, or else good-bye 'Favored Nation Status'.(Should already be done IMO until they come around on other issues; whole other thread however)

Conduct massive naval exercises around Japan.

Conduct beach invasion exercises in South Korea. (Already done annualy in an exercise called TEAM SPIRIT)

Speed up, if possible, ABM technology development.

Publically deploy our latest ABM efforts in South Korea, Japan, and the western U.S.

Build nuclear bunker busters, and make it public.

Task additional satellites to monitor North Korea to create the most exhaustive list of likely targets possible.

If North Korea is found to be actively conspiring with terrorists, attack them, whatever the consequences.

Here is the deal - It is an integrated approach of #1 in Comrade's post, in concert with DK's supply and foster a resistence based on their tasting freedom/democracy (remember, allot of them have relatives still in the south), and a good majority of what Zhukov proposed above (comment and emphasis added). There is no ONE strategy - but a well orchestrated SET of strategies.

DKSuddeth said:

I like the idea of a sponsored rebellion. I wanted to think about two way radios just for this intent.

There's a streak of fear and innate propaganda and I know what Kathianne is talking about from the travelogue we both read. A great link of what to expect in the coutryside is based on collected stories of refugees here.

http://nkhumanrights.or.kr/NKHR_new/index_eng_new.htm

It does sound like they'll risk much just for food.

The question is, would Kim fight us for feeding a rebellion, or could they overcome their own fear and repressive government with words alone???

Comrade said:
I like the idea of a sponsored rebellion. I wanted to think about two way radios just for this intent.

There's a streak of fear and innate propaganda and I know what Kathianne is talking about from the travelogue we both read. A great link of what to expect in the coutryside is based on collected stories of refugees here.

http://nkhumanrights.or.kr/NKHR_new/index_eng_new.htm

It does sound like they'll risk much just for food.

The question is, would Kim fight us for feeding a rebellion, or could they overcome their own fear and repressive government with words alone???

So are we speaking towards something like a Berlin airlift? Think Kim would allow such? CIA operatives smuggling in food? Perhaps I don't understand the logistics? :confused: :dunno:

Kathianne said:
So are we speaking towards something like a Berlin airlift? Think Kim would allow such? CIA operatives smuggling in food? Perhaps I don't understand the logistics? :confused: :dunno:

I was thinking high altitidue drops with select regions in the country side targeted for two way radios, at first. They'd be stashed and hidden and very rarely used at first. I'm still thinking through the food issue.

Comrade said:
I was thinking high altitidue drops with select regions in the country side targeted for two way radios, at first. They'd be stashed and hidden and very rarely used at first. I'm still thinking through the food issue.

I got it... hydrogen balloons. Undetectale if rigged up correctly, and capable of altitude and loads of some significance.

Electromagnetic cannons will be ready in 2010 from the new destroyer class to be fielded. Range reaches most of N.K. from international waters, and radar invisibility and accuracy would be acceptable. The only hard part is ensuring the package stays together on final approach. Very doable, I think.

Forum List

Back