"Opt Out" Scam Debunked

Oddball

Unobtanium Member
Jan 3, 2009
Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
Grubby Harry Reid's "opt out" provision works the same way you can "opt out" of sending your kids to gubmint schools.

You can send your kids to the private school all you want, but you don't get to opt out of the taxes to pay for everyone who opts into the gubmint schools.

How many states will fall for that?

Grubby Harry Reid's "opt out" provision works the same way you can "opt out" of sending your kids to gubmint schools.

You can send your kids to the private school all you want, but you don't get to opt out of the taxes to pay for everyone who opts into the gubmint schools.

Can you go into more detail about this Dude?

I thought it was pretty much self-exploratory.

The states will be able to opt out of the federal "option" but will still have to pay taxes into the program. Much the same way that parents, childless couples and singles alike are stuck with the bill to pay for gubmint schools, whether their kids attend them or not.

The whole thing is the latest puff of smoke in the smoke-and-mirrors campaign of a dying effort.

Indeed. Not that IL would 'opt out' of any programs, but if they did we wouldn't be able to 'opt out' of taxes. Reid has admitted as much.

So does the "Smarter Better Looking Children HealthCare and Saving More money than if you Switched to Geico Plan" now do what Harry Reid says it would do?

Wow, not like its a big deal in a $1 trillion bill or anything

The states will be able to opt out of the federal "option" but will still have to pay taxes into the program. Much the same way that parents, childless couples and singles alike are stuck with the bill to pay for gubmint schools, whether their kids attend them or not.

The whole thing is the latest puff of smoke in the smoke-and-mirrors campaign of a dying effort.

Maybe I wasn't clear. Where can I find this information? An article from the government maybe? I want to learn more about it, and wonder why the states can opt out of the federal option, but still have to pay taxes if they do.

Maybe I wasn't clear. Where can I find this information? An article from the government maybe? I want to learn more about it, and wonder why the states can opt out of the federal option, but still have to pay taxes if they do.

.....which means that all the states will have to stay in the bill until 2014 and then have the opportunity to opt out of it.

Haven't dug up the incident Annie mentioned yet, but it'll surface.

Harry Reid puts public option in the bill with 'opt out' provision for states. Kicks Republicans to the curb | Crooks and Liars

Last edited:
The Democrats remind me of my children when they were young. Constantly whinning and saying just about anything to get what they wanted at the time. Tomorrow there will be yet another "idea" surface in the effort to get this hunk of crap passed and sent to the President for his signature. Then the Democrats can say they "saved America" as they turn our country into a Third World banana republic because our money is no longer any good on the face of the earth BUT we will all have health care for whatever good that will do us. Half of the working population in the US will get up every morning and go to work while the other half stays at home and makes doctor's appointments because they don't have anything better to do with their time in the unemployed status they find themselves in.

Last edited:

Lieberman to vote against public option - TheHill.com

Most of them. Then the ones that do not offer the public option will shortly find themselves with a Democratic legislature and government. Lovely, eh?:lol:

Except that the public option isn't financed by tax dollars. Next.

Or, you know, how the people purchasing plans will be paying premiums. Novel idea, I know.

Right.

Those who are now paying private insurers will then be funneling that money to gubmint politicians and bureaucrats.

And all of those with no insurance will magically be covered for "free".

Nope....Can't see any train wreck coming there. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well the Post Office is supposed to survive on its profits too, but that doesn't seem to work out in the real world.

If the plan is supposed to be self sustaining then a) why couldn't private industry, which actually is self sustaining, do that, and b) why does the bill raise taxes on virtually everything in the economy?
Hello?
Taxpayer subsiidies will be funding this, giving the gov't entity an unfair advantage, leading to single payer (i.e. socialized medicine).
Is this really not obvious to everyone??

.....which means that all the states will have to stay in the bill until 2014 and then have the opportunity to opt out of it.
Haven't dug up the incident Annie mentioned yet, but it'll surface.

Harry Reid puts public option in the bill with 'opt out' provision for states. Kicks Republicans to the curb | Crooks and Liars
Except that isn't what he said.

He said:
QUESTION: (inaudible) or is there a period of time where they have to (inaudible)?
REID: They'll have until 2014.
What that means in my view is that states have until 2014 to decide if they want to opt out. Not that they must opt in until 2014.

Critical thinking, try it sometime...much better than relying on blogs to think for you.

Transcript of Reid's Presser Announcing Opt-Out Option | TPM LiveWire

Forum List

Back