Oprah pays a real cost for supporting Barack Obama

A scandal, with a side of pie

May 16, 2012|John Kass

The last thing President Barack Obama needs is a domestic crisis of gargantuan proportions, one that threatens to swallow up the NATO Chicago summit:

Michelle vs. Oprah: The catfight.

Does Michelle Obama really think Oprah Winfrey is too heavy to help in America's fight against obesity? Does Oprah really think Michelle doesn't want her "waddling around the White House"?

And did Michelle really sit with Oprah and talk endlessly about the delicious pies baked in the White House kitchen, teasing Oprah about the scrumptious flaky crusts, and then refuse to offer Oprah a slice?

I, for one, can't believe Michelle would be so cruel as to tease someone with thoughts of pie. But it's out there now. And the president has to deal with it.

The alleged feud between first lady Michelle Obama and talk show diva Oprah Winfrey is contained in Edward Klein's biography of the president, "The Amateur: Barack Obama in the White House," excerpted in the pages of the New York Post.

If it's in the Post, it must be true. No?

Michelle? Oprah? Sit down and have some pie. - Chicago Tribune

"I ate all da blueberry pie"​

Let them eat pie.

you people are sad....have any of you ever watched 'own'.....i have...its massive amounts of reruns....you can catch dr. phil shows from way back...the failure of 'own' has nothing to do with politics....its was a sorry idea to begin with and she has lost a ton of money from dancing to the music of her ego

you people are sad....have any of you ever watched 'own'.....i have...its massive amounts of reruns....you can catch dr. phil shows from way back...the failure of 'own' has nothing to do with politics....its was a sorry idea to begin with and she has lost a ton of money from dancing to the music of her ego

I don't watch all that much of today's TV programming.

Every time I tune in the subject-matter shocks the shit out of me.

30 Rock had a couple of women talking to each other like folks do on this board do during Prime-time.....or whenever they're on. It's not fit for kids......and that's who watches TV most of the time.

MTV sometimes features a kid who wants to be a woman and is struggling for acceptance while projectile vomiting at a party where they're taking the latest fad drug. The commercials in between episodes are geared towards herpes protection and various birth control products.

I especially don't want to watch Oprah's latest idea of social engineering so OWN isn't exactly my thing.

Do I sound angry? I don't mean to. I just don't enjoy watching programs that make me want to put my hand through my television.

Okay you're kidding, right? I'm not familiar with your leanings (sorry) so please tell me this is sarcasm.

There is some tongue in cheek, but given the recent fabrication of the Romney bully story, there is also a large dose of truth.

In reality, Newsmax IS more reliable than the Washington Post. Bear with me a moment.

Newsmax is a known quantity. It is a right wing web portal that links to news stories favorable to the right and editorials that promote right wing politics. I don't expect balance, though I do expect honesty. Newsmax delivers on exactly what it promises. I can rely on them to be who they are. Ditto their leftist counterpart, the Huffington Post.

The Washington Post is supposed to be the legitimate media. They aren't. The Washington Post is nothing more than the propaganda wing of the democratic party. Already this makes them a fraud. Add to this the tendency to fabricate stories to smear opposition candidates and WaPo has a net of zero reliability. Outside of the classifieds, there is NOTHING that the WaPo prints that I would rely on. They have no credibility due to the fact that they have proven to have no journalistic integrity.

You do know Oprah made $165 million in 2011, down from $265 million in 2010, due to her ending her talk show and was #2 on Forbe's Celebrity 100 list, even though she earned 3 times the amount of the #1 J-Lo.

Oprah owns the Dr. Phil, Rachael Ray, Dr. OZ and Nate Bergis shows, along with OWN and the O magazine.

Well, she doesn't look like she's starving; that's for sure...

Oprah Winfrey and OWN on the Ropes

By Susan Chandler

TOO BIG TO FAIL? Chicago's former media queen is struggling to save the network that bears her name. How things went so wrong—and how Oprah is handling the career challenge of her life

It was an uncharacteristically humble Oprah Winfrey who appeared on CBS This Morning in early April, looking tired, even a little frumpy, in a pearl-gray dress. Her pose was tense, her expression uneasy. While the 58-year-old has spent God knows how many hours on a TV talk show set over her long broadcasting career, she looked like a familiar species in the wrong habitat.

:eusa_boohoo:

Oprah Winfrey and OWN on the Ropes - Chicago magazine - June 2012 - Chicago

I completely avoid anything on OWN on purpose. I can't stand Oprah anymore, it had nothing to do with Obama. She got very arrogant and uppity. She lost her touch about 10 years ago. But she did help catapult Obama into the white house with all that free campaign time.

Oprah is failing for a number of reasons. Not only her support of obama or, the way the obama's have ignored her since. Oprah was all about Oprah. She was the monthly cover girl on her own magazine, got her own network, has her own book club. No celebrity maintains that level of popularity for very long. Her star is fading. Since she has not diversified outside of herself, all of her enterprises are fading too.

That seems to make more sense than anything posted. You can't name a single star who stayed popular forever. Oprah was more popular than any talk show host in history - even my favorite, Johnny Carson. She had her time but like you say, every star eventually fades.

Carson was way better. He was a true classic star and left with his fans wanting more. Oprah didn't know when to quit. Nor did she know when to stay neutral.

Politics are polarizing. Always have been and always will be. Celebrities who stay politically neutral maintain their fanbases much longer.

Forum List

Back