Opposition to Obamacare at Record High

Sinatra

Feb 5, 2009
This week saw opposition to Obamacare reach a record high. It appears Obama's media blitz attempt to stir up support for his desire for healthcare overhaul is creating a backlash among American voters.

56% now dissaprove the healthcare reform proposal - 10% higher than last week.

Date
Approve
Disapprove

Sep 16-17
43%
56%

Health Care Reform - Rasmussen Reports™

Meanwhile Obama's overall approval record is holding steady at 55%. How's that 2012 election thing looking for the leaderless GOP?

Meanwhile Obama's overall approval record is holding steady at 55%. How's that 2012 election thing looking for the leaderless GOP?

For now let's focus on 2010...

By the way - 51% dissaprove of the president's job approval - only 48% say they somewhat approve - that is down 2% from just a couple days ago...

Overall, 48% of voters say they at least somewhat approve of the President's performance. Fifty-one percent (51%) now disapprove. Over the past week, the President’s ratings bounced to their highest level in two months but have now retreated to earlier levels.

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™

I think the debacle offered up by Baucus earlier in the week really hurt the President on this one. Then the President announces that we should just make Illegals Legal and then give them the free health care. That one really angered many in this country and they weren't all Republicans either. Personally,as soon as i heard Baucus say that the Government was going to "Require" all Americans to have health care,he lost me. Fining citizens for not having health care? Not in the America i know and love. What happens when some of these citizens refuse to pay these fines? Will they have created a "Health Care Gestapo" force with the authority to storm citizens' homes to arrest and imprison them for not paying these fines? Any health care bill that includes "Requiring" all citizens to have health care should be immediately dismissed. Lets not take away Americans' Freedoms & Liberties in the name of possibly better health care. Not a wise trade-off in my opinion. The Baucus plan definitely hurt the whole health care dabate in my opinion.

I think the debacle offered up by Baucus earlier in the week really hurt the President on this one. Then the President announces that we should just make Illegals Legal and then give them the free health care. That one really angered many in this country and they weren't all Republicans either. Personally,as soon as i heard Baucus say that the Government was going to "Require" all Americans to have health care,he lost me. Fining citizens for not having health care? Not in the America i know and love. What happens when some of these citizens refuse to pay these fines? Will they have created a "Health Care Gestapo" force with the authority to storm citizens' homes to arrest and imprison them for not paying these fines? Any health care bill that includes "Requiring" all citizens to have health care should be immediately dismissed. Lets not take away Americans' Freedoms & Liberties in the name of possibly better health care. Not a wise trade-off in my opinion. The Baucus plan definitely hurt the whole health care dabate in my opinion.

The making illegals legal and giving them healthcare is just starting to circulate - and you are correct - almost anyone who hears about what he said is upset - except for Joe Wilson perhaps, who can now simply say, "Told you so."

Yes this President simply pulled a "Slick Willy" on us. He may not have been lying on this particular bill specifically but when he announced that Illegals should be made Legal and then receive the free health care,he certainly was caught trying to pull a fast one on us. Kudos to you Mr. Wilson!

Once again, using Rasmussen Reports poll results, excluding all the others that differ from it soo much.

Rasmussen uses flawed methodology.

An interesting note from Rasmussen's site concerning methodology:

Rasmussen Reports determines its partisan weighting targets through a dynamic weighting system that takes into account the state’s voting history, national trends, and recent polling in a particular state or geographic area.

And

Rasmussen Reports uses an automated polling methodology while some firms use operator-assisted techniques. Generally, these different methodologies generate about the same level of approval for different political figures, but the automated technology generally registers a higher level of disapproval...

...Rasmussen Reports surveys tend to have lower levels of no opinions and higher levels of unfavorable opinions for political figures.

In addition, Rasmussen uses "Likely Voter" categorization, which does not reflect the actual opinion of the general population.

Yes this President simply pulled a "Slick Willy" on us. He may not have been lying on this particular bill specifically but when he announced that Illegals should be made Legal and then receive the free health care,he certainly was caught trying to pull a fast one on us. Kudos to you Mr. Wilson!

Yes, Joe Wilson is quickly gaining hero status across the country...

For instance:

By the way - 51% dissaprove of the president's job approval - only 48% say they somewhat approve - that is down 2% from just a couple days ago...

Overall, 48% of voters say they at least somewhat approve of the President's performance. Fifty-one percent (51%) now disapprove. Over the past week, the President’s ratings bounced to their highest level in two months but have now retreated to earlier levels.

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports™

Actual average approval ratingn from all polls?

RCP Average Approval: 53.2 / Dissapproval: 41.8 / Spread: +11.4

Source: RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Obama Job Approval

Of course, I guess you can just keep posting new threads when you lose the same argument in the other threads on the subject, like this one:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/81668-daily-presidential-tracking-poll.html

Yes, Joe Wilson is quickly gaining hero status across the country...

Or I guess you could ignore what other people say in your thread and just keep on posting fallacious comments.

Gallup shows Obama's overall approval number at 51% - down 3 points from just two weeks ago...

Gallup Daily: Obama Job Approval

And back to Obamacare - the trending is now negative again for the President...

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/

After the president’s much anticipated speech on health care reform to a joint session of congress, the support for his bill skyrocketed. 51-percent of American voters, according to Rasmussen poll results, approved of the heath care reform bill. However, today the polls show that America’s hope in government run heath care has plummeted.

45-percent of all voters nationwide approve of the bill; where as, 52-percent disapprove. The most recent poll shows that 23-percent strongly favor the plan, and 41-percent are strongly opposed. These findings show that the support for heath care reform has fallen to pre-speech levels.

Michael Barone, Washington Examiner, stated in his column, “These poll numbers, and pollster Scott Rasmussen’s numbers on strong Obama approval and disapproval suggest strongly that Obama did get one benefit from the speech: it increased the intensity of his support from self-identified Democrats. But it does not seem to have decreased the intensity of opposition from Republicans and Independents.”

Last edited:
Gallup shows Obama's overall approval number at 51% - down 3 points from just two weeks ago...

Gallup Daily: Obama Job Approval

Yet the average shows him trending up, currently at 53.4 percent.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Obama Job Approval

And back to Obamacare - the trending is now negative again for the President...

Washington Examiner

After the president’s much anticipated speech on health care reform to a joint session of congress, the support for his bill skyrocketed. 51-percent of American voters, according to Rasmussen poll results, approved of the heath care reform bill. However, today the polls show that America’s hope in government run heath care has plummeted.

45-percent of all voters nationwide approve of the bill; where as, 52-percent disapprove. The most recent poll shows that 23-percent strongly favor the plan, and 41-percent are strongly opposed. These findings show that the support for heath care reform has fallen to pre-speech levels.

Michael Barone, Washington Examiner, stated in his column, “These poll numbers, and pollster Scott Rasmussen’s numbers on strong Obama approval and disapproval suggest strongly that Obama did get one benefit from the speech: it increased the intensity of his support from self-identified Democrats. But it does not seem to have decreased the intensity of opposition from Republicans and Independents.”

Except that CBSNews just posted an increase in approval to 52%, with a 35% dissapproval mainly due to his speech.

Poll: Obama's Speech Buoyed Public Support - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Actually, you know what, that was a week ago, I'll go with your figures.

Yep, the public is unhappy about the way the president is handling one issue, by a small margin, but still approves of his job performance.

I'll accept that.

Actually, you know what, that was a week ago, I'll go with your figures.

I'll accept that.

I accept your apology...

When you looks at RCP, you have to realize the averaging takes in polls that are rather dated from polling agencies that do not update frequently. Your best bet is to take the two most recent polls, in this case Rasmussen and Gallup, for a more accurate snap shot of trending.

Both Rasmussen and Gallup show a downward trend for Obama in recent days - the other polls will reflect that when updated.

Obama's healthcare proposal saw an uptick in support, followed by another fall. His overall approval will follow that trend as well, but general approval almost always lags policy specific polling...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back