Opposition to Gay Marriage - Any Basis Other Than Intolerance and Bigotry?

Can you first walk me through the difference between marriage and civil union?

I have been asking conservatives this question for years. Never got a straight answer.

Marriage is seen by most as in the eyes of God. Civil Unions is seen by most as in the eyes of the court.

Fags getting married to me is a little like them spitting in the eye of God. But they can do what ever they want. God will take it up with them at a later date.
When a heterosexual couple files for divorce, it the state that dissolves the contract. Nobody petitions God for a divorce. The state issues a marriage license, not God.

Marriages are a contract with protections and benefits from the state. Churches sanctify marriage, each in their own way.

The argument is whether it's fitting and proper for the state to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples. How churches handle the ecclesiastical business is up to them.

im anti-government involvement in all kinds of marriage. does that count?

I gotta agree. Those fvcking Mormons gotta be able to marry their 10 wives too. It will be a never ending freak show I guess. Who knows where it will go. Some towel head bastard will want to marry his goat, sheep or donkey. etc etc.

Hell Obama married RuPaul. I don't think anyone even noticed.

Just keep the freaks away from me and my family. Thank God for the 2nd amendment.

Unfortunately there is a minority conservative opinion that incorrectly infers the 14th Amendment does not apply to gender:

In 1996, Scalia was the only justice to dissent in the Supreme Court decision that ended the 157-year tradition of state-supported, all-male education at Virginia Military Institute. In his dissent in the case United States v. Virginia, Scalia wrote:

...the tradition of having government funded military schools for men is as well rooted in the traditions of this country as the tradition of sending only men into military combat. The people may decide to change the one tradition, like the other, through democratic processes; but the assertion that either tradition has been unconstitutional through the centuries is not law, but politics smuggled into law.

44 - Scalia: Constitution does not protect women against discrimination
What Scalia refuses to accept is that the rights of Americans are not subject to popular vote. See: West Virginia Board of Education vs. Barnette (1943). State lawmaking bodies are not the appropriate venue to determine whether one’s rights are acknowledged or not. And how long must a given minority wait before the people of a given state ‘decide’ to acknowledge the rights of that minority? A year? Ten years? Indeed, a Constitutional right delayed is a right denied.

Hence, Scalia’s opinion is the minority in the legal community:
Marcia Greenberger, founder and co-president of the National Women's Law Center, told the Huffington Post that Scalia's most recent remarks were "shocking in light of the decades of precedents and the numbers of justices who have agreed that there is protection in the 14th Amendment against sex discrimination, and struck down many, many laws in many, many areas on the basis of that protection."

Scalia: Constitution Doesn't Protect Women or Gays from Discrimination - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
Should a given same-sex marriage case make it to the Supreme Court, fortunately, a 5-4 ruling is likely in favor of same-sex marriage, given Justice Kennedy’s majority opinion in Lawrence v Texas (2003).

Strange that a person that insists that rights are not subject to a popular vote wants to base rights on popularity.

What about the right of association? Shouldn't people not have to associate with racists assholes if they don't want to?
Right up to the point of conspiracy. If that racist asshole packed a truck with fertilizer and diesel fuel and parked it next to an A.M.E. Methodist church one Easter morning.

Well, New York has done the right thing. Which brings to mind a question.

Can any person here who is "opposed to gay marriage" come forward and justify their position on the basis of anything other than intolerance and bigotry? Seriously.

Please don't start with "the Bible does not condone same sex marriage." Perhaps it doesn't. So WHAT? Let's say the Bible contained a passage which said: "Marriage is only between a man and a woman. If thou shalt marry one of the same sex as yourself, thou shalt burn in the fiery pits of HELL!" So what? Isn't invoking the Bible just another way of shoving religion down the throats of other people? Yup. In other words, intolerance and bigotry.

No, my friends - we all know what is really involved here, don't we? I am wondering if there is anyone here who has the stones to come right out and tell it like it is: "I am opposed to same sex marriage because I hate gays everything they stand for. No other reason."

Intolerance and bigotry. There really does not seem to be any other reason.

Because all conservatives are narrow minded bigots. Opposition to Obama was based solely on his being black. Opposition to gay marriage is solely because of bigotry. Opposition to increasing the debt ceiling is based solely on racism.
Haven't you heard?

im in a polygamist relationship with my toaster and a pop tart, dont tell anyone. Damn government...why do they hate my lifestyle???

I have been asking conservatives this question for years. Never got a straight answer.

Marriage is seen by most as in the eyes of God. Civil Unions is seen by most as in the eyes of the court.

Fags getting married to me is a little like them spitting in the eye of God. But they can do what ever they want. God will take it up with them at a later date.
When a heterosexual couple files for divorce, it the state that dissolves the contract. Nobody petitions God for a divorce. The state issues a marriage license, not God.

Marriages are a contract with protections and benefits from the state. Churches sanctify marriage, each in their own way.

The argument is whether it's fitting and proper for the state to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples. How churches handle the ecclesiastical business is up to them.

I see it defferently. I say it is the Government that honors the churches marriage and give the benifits accordingly. Otherwise they would all just be civil unions.

I gotta agree. Those fvcking Mormons gotta be able to marry their 10 wives too. It will be a never ending freak show I guess. Who knows where it will go. Some towel head bastard will want to marry his goat, sheep or donkey. etc etc.

Just keep the freaks away from me and my family. Thank God for the 2nd amendment.
No one is asking for polygamy or bestiality. Those are dried up old arguments the Social Conservatives tried thinking America would be just dumb enough to follow them down that primrose path. Marriage is still two committed, loving, sober taxpaying adult citizens. Not a gaggle of Mormons nor a man and his goat.

I see it defferently. I say it is the Government that honors the churches marriage and give the benifits accordingly. Otherwise they would all just be civil unions.
So only marriages performed in churches are valid? Getting married in a mosque or synagogue less legitimate? How about a little storefront chapel in Vegas? Or on the prow of an ocean liner? Or city hall before a Justice of the Peace?

What do all those different types of marriage ceremonies have in common? A Marriage Licenses issued by a state, not God.

No one is asking for polygamy or bestiality. Those are dried up old arguments the Social Conservatives tried thinking America would be just dumb enough to follow them down that primrose path. Marriage is still two committed, loving, sober taxpaying adult citizens. Not a gaggle of Mormons nor a man and his goat.

thats bullshit! Why can't I marry my toaster in the church of my lord????

Not too long ago gays were making fun of marriage because of the divorce rate but now they want it. Why?

Wanna' know why Prop 8 passed in California? Because Blacks and Hispanics voted for it in droves. Ask THEM why they oppose gay marriage.

Actually an analysis of voter Demographics for Prop 8 shows that Blacks and Hispanics were 7% and 14% respectively of the voting population for Prop 8 voting 58 & 59% respectively.

Interesting though is that the second largest demographic (behind white) was Weekly Religious Attendance (45%), and that demographic voted 70% in favor of the initiative.

So which had a bigger impact - 7 & 14% voting 58% OR 45% voting 70%?

http://www.ncsu.edu/stud_affairs/glbt/pdfs/Prop 8 Report.pdf

>>>>

How much of that weekly attendance demographic is black?

Rev. Al Rips Black Mega-Churches on LGBT, Prop 8 | Young Black Professional Guide

Statistically speaking a much greater impact on the outcome would have been made by a 45% demographic voting 70% to approve Prop 8.

Since they were only 7% of the voters, who cares? Well unless the race card is trying to be played.

>>>>>

Go right ahead. But you can't get a divorce settlement out of your toaster in Divorce Court. No legal protections provided in the Marriage Contract unless you have a Marriage License. And you have to petition the state for those contract rights.

Go right ahead. But you can't get a divorce settlement out of your toaster in Divorce Court. No legal protections provided in the Marriage Contract unless you have a Marriage License. And you have to petition the state for those contract rights.

what about a general contract motorized by the state?

You'd have to ask your Chuch as your question is a religious one and has no bearing on secular Civil Marriage.

Now why can't you go down to the Court House and get a Civil Marriage License, that is a different question. First of all you would have to have your Toaster certified in a competent court of law that it was a sentient being able to enter into a civil contract. Then we could talk.

>>>>

what about a general contract motorized by the state?

Hmmmm - you would have to check with the DMV on that one.

:eusa_whistle:

>>>>

So only marriages performed in churches are valid? Getting married in a mosque or synagogue less legitimate? How about a little storefront chapel in Vegas? Or on the prow of an ocean liner? Or city hall before a Justice of the Peace?

What do all those different types of marriage ceremonies have in common? A Marriage Licenses issued by a state, not God.

That is how it is done, but marriage has been around longer than your local goverment.

Historically, marriage has been more of a religous and cultural ceremony than to provide tax breaks and health coverage. Just FYI

It is not a dried up old argument. It is a valid comparison.

IF marriage is a right
IF that right extends to whomever you wish to marry and is not subject to scrutiny
Then you must allow polygamists and inter familial marriages.

Personally, I would allow all of them AFTER marriage was removed as a tax benefit. For the time being, I have no issues with gays marrying as what one does on their own time is their own business. I believe that the crux of the argument lies in benefits to society. If there is a negative benefit then it could be argued that the state has no business condoning the relationship. There is no law against marrying for gays, just that the marriage will not be recognized by the state. For me, the verdict is in, it is BENEFICIAL to sanction gay marriage as gay is not a choice and all benefit from a stable relationship. There is also the adoption angle. I am POSITIVE that I do not want children in foster care. Whatever your view on gay behavior, a child is better off in a stable gay family than they are in a fluid and possible abusive foster care.

The most significant difference between marriage and civil unions (or domestic partnerships) is that only marriage offers federal benefits and protections.

According to the federal government's General Accounting Office (GAO), more than 1,100 rights and protections are conferred to U.S. citizens upon marriage. Areas affected include Social Security benefits, veterans' benefits, health insurance, Medicaid, hospital visitation, estate taxes, retirement savings, pensions, family leave, and immigration law.

Because same-sex marriages in Massachusetts and California, civil unions, and domestic partnerships are not federally recognized, any benefits available at the state or local level are subject to federal taxation. For example, a woman whose health insurance covers her female partner must pay federal taxes on the total employer cost for that insurance.

A Primer on Same-Sex Marriage, Civil Unions, Domestic Partnerships, and Defense of Marriage Acts — Infoplease.com

Hence denying same-sex couples access to actual marriage is a violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment.

That is how it is done, but marriage has been around longer than your local goverment.

Historically, marriage has been more of a religous and cultural ceremony than to provide tax breaks and health coverage. Just FYI
Solomon had thousands of wives.

Oh, God - I LOVE IT! Once again, AC, thank you. I mean that.

Not too long ago gays were making fun of marriage because of the divorce rate but now they want it. Why?

Wanna' know why Prop 8 passed in California? Because Blacks and Hispanics voted for it in droves. Ask THEM why they oppose gay marriage.

I don't know...why do straights want legal marriage? Answer that question and you have the answer to yours.

Forum List

Back