Opposition to Gay Marriage - Any Basis Other Than Intolerance and Bigotry?

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
Well, New York has done the right thing. Which brings to mind a question.

Can any person here who is "opposed to gay marriage" come forward and justify their position on the basis of anything other than intolerance and bigotry? Seriously.

Please don't start with "the Bible does not condone same sex marriage." Perhaps it doesn't. So WHAT? Let's say the Bible contained a passage which said: "Marriage is only between a man and a woman. If thou shalt marry one of the same sex as yourself, thou shalt burn in the fiery pits of HELL!" So what? Isn't invoking the Bible just another way of shoving religion down the throats of other people? Yup. In other words, intolerance and bigotry.

No, my friends - we all know what is really involved here, don't we? I am wondering if there is anyone here who has the stones to come right out and tell it like it is: "I am opposed to same sex marriage because I hate gays everything they stand for. No other reason."

Intolerance and bigotry. There really does not seem to be any other reason.

Just like so many things that are embarrasing in our history, this one will be right there. The ones who opposed equal rights for blacks and women are the same idiots who are against this.

Once again, intolerance and ignorance shows its ugly face. Oh and speaking of the bible...didnt it say something about divorce? Why is that ignored by these same idiots. Divorce, fidelity etc.

Last edited:
>

Easy...

.........Everyone knows...

.................................Its the first step...

.......................................................In dogs wanting to ...

................................................................................Adopt human children.

>>>>

Last edited:

Can any person here who is "opposed to gay marriage" come forward and justify their position on the basis of anything other than intolerance and bigotry? Seriously.

Please don't start with "the Bible does not condone same sex marriage." Perhaps it doesn't. So WHAT? Let's say the Bible contained a passage which said: "Marriage is only between a man and a woman. If thou shalt marry one of the same sex as yourself, thou shalt burn in the fiery pits of HELL!" So what? Isn't invoking the Bible just another way of shoving religion down the throats of other people? Yup. In other words, intolerance and bigotry.

No, my friends - we all know what is really involved here, don't we? I am wondering if there is anyone here who has the stones to come right out and tell it like it is: "I am opposed to same sex marriage because I hate gays everything they stand for. No other reason."

This should prove interesting. Can't wait.

Just like so many things that are embarrasing in our history, this one will be right there. The ones who opposed equal rights for blacks and women are the same idiots who are against this.

Once again, intolerance and ignorance shows its ugly face. Oh and speaking of the bible...didnt it say something about divorce? Why is that ignored by these same idiots. Divorce, fidelity etc.

Geeze Zona, your post made me smile and chuckle. There are people who are still against equal rights. Embarrassed? not one whit. So it really isn't surprising that so many folks are still against equal rights for our gay citizens. They might like the idea of America being the land of the free but they think they get to choose who will be free.

Unfortunately there is a minority conservative opinion that incorrectly infers the 14th Amendment does not apply to gender:

In 1996, Scalia was the only justice to dissent in the Supreme Court decision that ended the 157-year tradition of state-supported, all-male education at Virginia Military Institute. In his dissent in the case United States v. Virginia, Scalia wrote:

...the tradition of having government funded military schools for men is as well rooted in the traditions of this country as the tradition of sending only men into military combat. The people may decide to change the one tradition, like the other, through democratic processes; but the assertion that either tradition has been unconstitutional through the centuries is not law, but politics smuggled into law.

44 - Scalia: Constitution does not protect women against discrimination

What Scalia refuses to accept is that the rights of Americans are not subject to popular vote. See: West Virginia Board of Education vs. Barnette (1943). State lawmaking bodies are not the appropriate venue to determine whether one’s rights are acknowledged or not. And how long must a given minority wait before the people of a given state ‘decide’ to acknowledge the rights of that minority? A year? Ten years? Indeed, a Constitutional right delayed is a right denied.

Hence, Scalia’s opinion is the minority in the legal community:
Marcia Greenberger, founder and co-president of the National Women's Law Center, told the Huffington Post that Scalia's most recent remarks were "shocking in light of the decades of precedents and the numbers of justices who have agreed that there is protection in the 14th Amendment against sex discrimination, and struck down many, many laws in many, many areas on the basis of that protection."

Scalia: Constitution Doesn't Protect Women or Gays from Discrimination - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Should a given same-sex marriage case make it to the Supreme Court, fortunately, a 5-4 ruling is likely in favor of same-sex marriage, given Justice Kennedy’s majority opinion in Lawrence v Texas (2003).

The gay lifestyle is disgusting. I do not like being around buttfvckers. They are just as vile as a pedophile is to me, but there is no law against their perversion because it does not hurt another human.

To be consistent in my views on FREEDOM for all. The faggots need to be able to get married.

The faggots do not need to impose their beliefs on me or my children. If they continue to campaign gay lifestyles be taught to our children in schools, I must insist, we also teach all children about Sodom and Gomorrah and how risky, unhealthy and filthy anal sex is.

The gay lifestyle is disgusting. I do not like being around buttfvckers. They are just as vile as a pedophile is to me, but there is no law against their perversion because it does not hurt another human.

To be consistent in my views on FREEDOM for all. The faggots need to be able to get married.

The faggots do not need to impose their beliefs on me or my children. If they continue to campaign gay lifestyles be taught to our children in schools, I must insist, we also teach all children about Sodom and Gomorrah and how risky, unhealthy and filthy anal sex is.

Thank you. Thank you for your honesty and thank you for your views on freedom for all.

While I have no issue with gays, I have to agree. The constitution does not discriminate race, gender nor sexuality.

Covert bigotry is defined as opposition to programs which benefit objects of prejudice. People who would not come right out and admit open prejudice against gays, get the job done by opposition to programs which would benefit gays, such as same sex marriage.

Not too long ago gays were making fun of marriage because of the divorce rate but now they want it. Why?

Wanna' know why Prop 8 passed in California? Because Blacks and Hispanics voted for it in droves. Ask THEM why they oppose gay marriage.

Actually an analysis of voter Demographics for Prop 8 shows that Blacks and Hispanics were 7% and 14% respectively of the voting population for Prop 8 voting 58 & 59% respectively.

Interesting though is that the second largest demographic (behind white) was Weekly Religious Attendance (45%), and that demographic voted 70% in favor of the initiative.

So which had a bigger impact - 7 & 14% voting 58% OR 45% voting 70%?

http://www.ncsu.edu/stud_affairs/glbt/pdfs/Prop 8 Report.pdf

>>>>

Can you first walk me through the difference between marriage and civil union?

I have been asking conservatives this question for years. Never got a straight answer.

Marriage is seen by most as in the eyes of God. Civil Unions is seen by most as in the eyes of the court.

Fags getting married to me is a little like them spitting in the eye of God. But they can do what ever they want. God will take it up with them at a later date.

How about this one.

I can imagine a way out… a truce. In the end, the truce would look like this:

1. That same-sex marriage be legalized and recognized federally and
  2. Every one of us remains free to raise our children in the way that we choose, including the ability to express a preference for opposite-sex relationships, without the name-calling, business boycotts, demonization, and social condemnation that have become the tools of the pro-gay-marriage zealots.

Unfortunately, I don’t believe the left is capable of agreeing to #2, and if they are, I don’t believe they will do it sincerely and, eventually, they will return to calling families that choose a preference for opposite-sex marriage bigots. Since I have no confidence that #2 will ever come to pass, I remain on the side of traditional marriage and civil unions. My position is not taken out of ideology, but is taken as a consequence of the politicized tactics of the left.

The Heathen Republican: Politicizing Gay Marriage

Some of the proponents of same sex marriage do more to make the case against it than any opponent could by insisting that the only argument against it comes from intolerance and bigotry.

That does not mean thee is not a case that revolves around other things though.

The Heathen Republican: The Non-Faith-Based Case Against Same-Sex Marriage

Change for the sake of change is not always a good thing.

Unfortunately there is a minority conservative opinion that incorrectly infers the 14th Amendment does not apply to gender:

In 1996, Scalia was the only justice to dissent in the Supreme Court decision that ended the 157-year tradition of state-supported, all-male education at Virginia Military Institute. In his dissent in the case United States v. Virginia, Scalia wrote:

...the tradition of having government funded military schools for men is as well rooted in the traditions of this country as the tradition of sending only men into military combat. The people may decide to change the one tradition, like the other, through democratic processes; but the assertion that either tradition has been unconstitutional through the centuries is not law, but politics smuggled into law.

44 - Scalia: Constitution does not protect women against discrimination
What Scalia refuses to accept is that the rights of Americans are not subject to popular vote. See: West Virginia Board of Education vs. Barnette (1943). State lawmaking bodies are not the appropriate venue to determine whether one’s rights are acknowledged or not. And how long must a given minority wait before the people of a given state ‘decide’ to acknowledge the rights of that minority? A year? Ten years? Indeed, a Constitutional right delayed is a right denied.

Hence, Scalia’s opinion is the minority in the legal community:
Marcia Greenberger, founder and co-president of the National Women's Law Center, told the Huffington Post that Scalia's most recent remarks were "shocking in light of the decades of precedents and the numbers of justices who have agreed that there is protection in the 14th Amendment against sex discrimination, and struck down many, many laws in many, many areas on the basis of that protection."

Scalia: Constitution Doesn't Protect Women or Gays from Discrimination - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
Should a given same-sex marriage case make it to the Supreme Court, fortunately, a 5-4 ruling is likely in favor of same-sex marriage, given Justice Kennedy’s majority opinion in Lawrence v Texas (2003).

Strange that a person that insists that rights are not subject to a popular vote wants to base rights on popularity.

What about the right of association? Shouldn't people not have to associate with racists assholes if they don't want to?

Not too long ago gays were making fun of marriage because of the divorce rate but now they want it. Why?

Wanna' know why Prop 8 passed in California? Because Blacks and Hispanics voted for it in droves. Ask THEM why they oppose gay marriage.

Actually an analysis of voter Demographics for Prop 8 shows that Blacks and Hispanics were 7% and 14% respectively of the voting population for Prop 8 voting 58 & 59% respectively.

Interesting though is that the second largest demographic (behind white) was Weekly Religious Attendance (45%), and that demographic voted 70% in favor of the initiative.

So which had a bigger impact - 7 & 14% voting 58% OR 45% voting 70%?

http://www.ncsu.edu/stud_affairs/glbt/pdfs/Prop 8 Report.pdf

>>>>

How much of that weekly attendance demographic is black?

Rev. Al Rips Black Mega-Churches on LGBT, Prop 8 | Young Black Professional Guide

Forum List

Back