Opioid Crisis?? Well that didnt take long

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Manonthestreet, Jan 30, 2018.

1. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,367
    You're not understanding what I'm saying.

I'm not doubting the reality of chronic pain. But if you take 60-100 mg of Oxycontin every day for years, you will become addicted to it. It's a physical response of the human body - and will happen, whether or not you're actually in pain.

2. Lewdog

Lewdog Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,272
    I don't know who you hang out with, but I haven't heard of anyone, short of those with terminal cancer, that get 60-100 mg Oxycontin anymore. Of course that's not counting the pill mills in states like Florida that aren't legit and keep getting busted and shut down. The way things are set up now, with the new drug tracking system (KASPER in Kentucky), people just don't get powerful opioids anymore. When I broke my leg, they gave me 5 mg Oxycodone three times per day, and when I left the hospital they gave me a week supply.

Now for comparison sake, when I first messed up my back in an accident back in 2003, I was given 30 mg morphine ER 2 times per day. Now my back is worse than it was back then, and I get 7.5 mg Oxycodone 3 times per day.

3. theDoctorisIn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,367
    Perhaps things have changed significantly in the last decade or so, but such high doses of Oxycontin used to be given out on a fairly consistent basis. Hell, I knew I guy who was prescribed 3 50s a day for back pain.

In general, my point is two-fold. The first part of it is that opiates are physically addictive. It's an undeniable fact - the longer you take an opiate, the less it will work, and the more your body will rely on it. For it to be effective, you'll have to keep upping the dose.

The second part is that being addicted to opiates - or anything else - isn't a moral failing. It's biology - even an addiction to gambling, or sex is about brain chemistry. Addiction isn't about low moral fiber, or a failure of "self-control".

4. Lewdog

Lewdog Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,272
    Well that's why most doctors will tell you to only take the meds when you feel pain, so that it actually works. Now my current doctor hasn't done it, but doctors in the past have switched up what pain meds they gave me, because they said it not only helped with avoiding addiction issues, but it helped confuse the body, so that the level of the meds would still work and not need to be raised.

5. Votto

Votto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,658
    And what if you need the pain medication long term? Would you rather him suffer?

Sometimes people need the medication even though they become addicted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. theDoctorisIn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,367
    I don't disagree with you.

But I think every effort should be made to find alternative treatments for the pain - to reduce the need for people to have to choose between chronic pain and chronic opiate addiction.

7. TNHarley

TNHarley Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59,082
    My friend takes the liquid. She loves it. Tastes terrible but helps

8. theDoctorisIn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,367
    Switching between different opiates can help mitigate the addictive effects - but only to an extent. All opiates essentially use the same mechanism, chemically, to alleviate pain. Switching between the nearly endless list of synthetic opiates will only delay the inevitable, if you're on a long-term pain maintenance program.

9. Manonthestreet

Manonthestreet Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,186
    Thats malpractice......I'd have talked to a lawyer or gone after his license ..

10. JustAnotherNut

JustAnotherNut Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,589
    Actually it's not a physical addiction at all, but it is about brain chemistry.

Dr's told me that all pain meds don't actually fix the pain, but they block the neurotransmitters to the brain that the pain is happening. The pain is still there, but your brain isn't getting the signals to react.