Opinions about the Death Penalty

StarchaseR

still plays with trucks
Jan 1, 2010
Suppose you had a teen-aged child you loved very much and one day, she wanted to borrow your car. She was driving to the mall, stopped at a light and suddenly a man smashed the drivers side window, put a gun in her face and ordered her out. He was screaming at her, and grabbing her around the throat. She tried to open the door and couldn't. He shot her in the face.

Later, when you looked at her to identify her, you couldn't tell it was her because half her face was shot off.

They found the killer. The jury recommended the death sentence, and the state condemned him to die from a lethal injection.

Six years passed and he finally ran out of appeals. You had six years to live with what he had done.

He had two days to live and asked to see you.

My first question is: What would you say to him?

My second question is: In this case, do you agree or disagree with the death penalty and why?

My third question is: Are you opposed to the death penalty under any circumstances?

Suppose you had a teen-aged child you loved very much and one day, she wanted to borrow your car. She was driving to the mall, stopped at a light and suddenly a man smashed the drivers side window, put a gun in her face and ordered her out. He was screaming at her, and grabbing her around the throat. She tried to open the door and couldn't. He shot her in the face.

Later, when you looked at her to identify her, you couldn't tell it was her because half her face was shot off.

They found the killer. The jury recommended the death sentence, and the state condemned him to die from a lethal injection.

Six years passed and he finally ran out of appeals. You had six years to live with what he had done.

My second question is: In this case, do you agree or disagree with the death penalty and why?

My third question is: Are you opposed to the death penalty under any circumstances?

What an odd story.. Just sayin'

1: I'd tell him to burn in hell for killing my Daughter.

2: I agree with the Death Penalty when that person has Taken another life willingly and the Victim was innocent.

3: Depends on the Situation.

Fuck you.

I don't agree or disagree with the death penalty. It's on the books as a form of punishment, it should be used. Otherwise, take it off. Makes no difference to me.

See my answer to question two.

Why did you kill my child?

If he said he was sorry.. if he hung his head, and felt bad.. I would then say "I forgive you."

I do not agree with state sanctioned murder, for the most part. The moral side of me says it is wrong to let one's anger determine their actions, even if the person has done something that is really really terrible.. Even if it was my child. Even if it was a thousand people.. I also believe that with death comes NOT HELL, not that fire and brimstone shit that the false teachers talk about- but just the ceasing to have any knowledge or consciousness.
I believe that if someone did something wrong, like first degree murder, even of one person, then they should be imprisoned for no less than the remainder of their life. This punishment should be no different based on my personal relationship with the person who was killed, or how many were killed. I want to follow the commandment and not allow my anger to justify an action of killing, instead of the other way around.

Yes.. I get angry and my body gets filled with hate, just like anyone else.. When I think about ANY person being killed. My son's best friend's mom was murdered. I have seen people on the edge of life, from vicious attacks. I myself have faced death caused by a vicious attack (and a couple of stupid decisions- got caught in an undercurrent out around these jetties one time, with my sister and dad, because my dad forgot to throw the anchor in the water.. I actually saved their lives, even though I was the smallest. I had on a life jacket!.. Another time, I fell off of a raft in my aunt's pool. Dad saved me, that time)..
I think it is counterproductive for me to allow the hate and anger (of a killing, or even towards the attacker I mentioned before) to take over my body so much that it clouds my objectivity. People may be terrible, horrible, evil things, but it is not any living being's place to decide that their life is worth only as much as the worth that the killer assessed the victim of having.. none. I think that the death penalty is just as sick (in the head) as any street criminal murdering an innocent passerby.

PS-

I would probably allow myself to give him a good ass kicking, though.. Just not to the point of killing him.

I think that all of the members of a victim's surviving family should have the right to do this, in lieu of the death penalty.

Would I see him? Yes, probably.

What would I say? Depends on what he said. If he was genuinely sorry and asked for my forgiveness, I hope I would be courageous enough to forgive him. I don't know that I would but I hope I would.

Do I agree with the DP? Yes, in certain circumstances. Certainly - without doubt or plea bargain - anyone who willfully kills a LEO or a child deserves to die. Other than that, I believe that the circumstances should dictate. There are other circumstances where a more suitable punishment would be life without parole.

Am I opposed in certain circumstances? Yes, I believe that some people on death row lack the mental capacity to understand what they did. Some of those people (Charlie Mason) should be executed. Some should not.

I disagree with the DP being used as a bargaining chip.

Dunno how anyone can consider themself to be "Pro Life" but still support the death penalty..

Yeah, whatever. Get back to me in 15 or 20 years. Preferably after you've raised three daughters. You'll have a different perspective on the death penalty.

Dunno how anyone can consider themself to be "Pro Life" but still support the death penalty..

Dunno how anyone can consider themself to be "Pro-Choice" but be against the Death Penalty and Still Support Abortion.

Except in case's of rape or life of the mother I am opposed to Abortion and am also opposed to the death penalty but they are both allowed by the law and should stay that way

I am against the death penalty in any and all cases. Too many innocent people have been put to death, and are still on death row. It's just not possible to be 100% sure in all cases. Secondly, I don't think any government can or should have the authority to kill anyone. Third, it's more expensive to kill them. I know this is because of the appeal process and it being so long, but the shorter you make that process the more chance there is that an innocent person is going to die and that's simply unacceptable in my opinion. I think the only solution is to do away with it completely.

I would prefer life in solitary confinement. Death is a mercy they do not deserve...

That's because you're 15 and life is black and white. When you grow up, you will discover the gray areas.

I am personally pro life. But, because I am a believer in individual freedom, I don't believe that I have the right to dictate someone else's choice.

The DP is nothing like abortion. Abortion is killing an innocent child. The DP is the ultimate punishment for the ultimate crime. Not hard to understand.

I wouldn't meet him.

I'd want to personally put the needle in his veins and plunge.

This. (Now addressing the questions)

I think about if one day If I have any kids and what would be my reaction if they were killed. And that's why I can't find it in me to oppose the Death Penalty.

The golden rule, "treat others as you would want to be treated." Well, I would treat the bastard and give him the same chance he gave my child, which was none.

Which is why I am a supporter of the Death Penalty today. It shouldn't be used if the person truly did not have the mental capacity to fully understand what they did. Otherwise, let them die.

I would prefer life in solitary confinement. Death is a mercy they do not deserve...

The DP is about justice, not revenge.

Solitary Confinement? So they can have free food, free clothing, and free shelter with my tax dollars? Fuck that.

Prisoners (especially ones on Death Row) have it better than those out on the streets including children.

Forum List

Back