OPINION Video: Debunking The Most Common Myths White People Tell About Race

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by NewsVine_Mariyam, Oct 9, 2018.

1. NewsVine_Mariyam

NewsVine_Mariyam Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,052
    I do my best to try to understand as much as humanly possible the things that interest or affect me. I understand that the resistance is a defense mechanism but the perspective that there is nothing of value that a white person would learn from a person of color is baffling. Surprisingly, when it comes to the topic of race, the information doesn't seem to be any more well received when coming from another white person.

Author Robin DiAngelo: Debunking the most common myths white people tell about race

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,346
    None of those seemed to be myths really.

To go point by point: Do only white parents teach their children that they are unique and special?

Obviously people don't literally mean that they don't see color. It's not a phrase I care for, but I believe the idea behind it is that a person does not judge based on color. Some people may be refusing to acknowledge another's racial reality, but I think making such a broad generalization about it is wrong.

The woman conflates friendship with proximity, which is clearly false. Having friends who are black is different from being willing to be around people who are black. Now, someone may be able to be racist and yet have friendships with people of the race they consider inferior, but the argument made in the video starts from friendship and ends with proximity, which implies to me that the argument doesn't not stand up if the person is actually friends with rather than simply around the race in question.

Another broad generalization I don't care for. There are certainly issues that can be discussed without adding how race informs the issue. While there is nothing wrong with discussing how different racial perspectives may make an issue seem different, I don't agree with the blanket statement.

I don't think there is a blanket answer for this one. Focusing on race does sometimes divide. Ignoring how race affects an issue does sometimes divide. I don't think this is a point for which there is a single answer. Whether race should be focused on depends on context and the individual issues or situations.

The video obviously underwent editing, so I can't say if the points made were quite how this woman meant to express them. It's also just a short clip, so a more detailed discussion might change some of the broad generalizations made; they may have been put forth that way in the interests of saving time.

I don't know where the perspective that a white person can't learn anything from a person of color comment is directed. It's certainly a ridiculous idea and one I would think only the most ardent white supremacist types might believe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,954
    You know, that is one of the things that kept me from being a bigoted idiot, or possibly even a racist.

If I automatically assume that someone has nothing to teach me based on the color of their skin, or their background, there is a lot of valuable information that I might miss because of my bias. A black dude was my roomie in "A" school in the Navy, and he's the one that helped me pass the course. If I had been biased against blacks (I'm white), Spence would have never been able to help me get through school.

Same thing when I went overseas. I would look at the visits to other countries as an opportunity that I would never get again, and so took full advantage where I could by using a phrase book to speak the local language and get the information as to where the best places to eat were, what some of the local history was, stuff like that. Meanwhile, a lot of my shipmates were using the big eyes (large binoculars on the bridge wings) to find KFC, Pizza Hut, and Burger King, and missed out on some really fantastic local chow.

The more biased you are against others on their appearance, the less knowledge and useful information you are able to learn from others.

• Thank You! x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Carolinia Agresticia; the Forest Primeval
    Ratings:
    +46,663
    Eloquently said. The building block of bigotry is Ignorance.

To quote Ellen McIlwaine when somebody says
    "ya caaaaan't trust 'em"
    what they mean is:
    "I dooooon't know any".

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Lumpy 1

Lumpy 1 Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,621
    Eh, it's just plain ole blah blah blah as far as I'm concerned, I figure if you employ the, "golden rule" and your rejected you're not the one that's an asshole, they are, no matter the race. On the other hand if you employ the rule and it's well received an understanding with equivalent respect has the seed of growth.

The real problems relate to herd mentality and the corruptions, motivations of the herd leadership.

• Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  6. Billy_Kinetta

Billy_Kinetta Paladin of the Lost Hour Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40,957
    All I know is that when summer rolls around, white people rush to the nearest beach in order to become as dark as possible.

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. NewsVine_Mariyam

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,052
    It's based on my observation of the responses here on US Message Board of the more hateful members who post here and cannot comment without a plethora of demeaning and denigrating insults quite often of a racist nature.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Shrimpbox

Shrimpbox Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Carrabelle, fl. 60 miles s of tallahassee
    Ratings:
    +2,731
    Exactly. So when our colleges and schools fail to,educate, they are promoting bigotry and ignorance, and it is on display in spades today by the left.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. NewsVine_Mariyam

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,052
    Also if the information that you were taught or picked up on as you were growing up is incorrect, it's not easy to overcome and correct this misinformation, at least for some. When I was younger I wanted to be a better person when I discovered what white societ thought of me and to satisfy my own need to be good at the things I chose to pursue in life. When I got to college and was generally the only female and the only African American in a class which was 99% white males I discovered I was not only equal to but in some cases performed better than my white male counterparts at least on an academic level but I never socialized with or dated them. The thought never crossed my mind.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  10. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +41,707
    And sexist nature.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1