[Opinion] Going to War Too Easy

Dr.Traveler

Mathematician
Aug 31, 2009
It's too easy for presidents to go to war
By Julian Zelizer, Special to CNN
March 28, 2011 7:37 a.m. EDT

Editor's note: Julian E. Zelizer is a professor of history and public affairs at Princeton University. He is the author of "Jimmy Carter," published by Times Books, and "Arsenal of Democracy."

Princeton, New Jersey (CNN) -- Many people across the political spectrum have been unhappy with President Barack Obama's decision to send American fighting forces to attack Libya. They argue that Obama failed to provide an adequate explanation for making this choice.

"Lots of confusion," said Sarah Palin, "What is the mission here in Libya?" A number of prominent Democrats have likewise wondered why the president entered this fight and said they felt Congress was not sufficiently consulted.

Sen. James Webb, D-Virginia, and a Vietnam veteran, warned that "this isn't the way our system is supposed to work." Rep. Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio, called the attack an "impeachable offense" (though he later said that impeachment was not on the table).

With all the attention that is being paid to Obama's inconsistent rationales, there has been less concern about the ease with which the White House sent U.S. forces into combat. Indeed, the country seems so accustomed to presidents employing military force at their own will that there are few voices demanding democratic consent.
----------------------------------------------------------

More at the link:

It's an interesting article, and before folks claim "It's the lefty outlet, CNN!" they should read it. It even exposes an Obama flip flop on this issue.

The main focus is on how the American Congress has delagated away much of their oversight/war powers to the President, and thanks to the Fed's unwillingness to tax to pay for wars and the reliance on a professional volunteer military, War is an issue far removed from the every day American. Toss in a media trying to appeal to the ADD attitude of people, and War is just too damn easy.

I agree with it. I think that we agree so quickly with going to war because the good men and women that volunteer to fight it just aren't appreciated by the average folk. I agree that because we think we can pay for war on the credit card, we don't think about the monetary cost either.

The war powers act is unconstitutional. Period.

The US has not made a declaration of war since WWII and how many wars(military engagements, police actions etc) have we participated in since then?

Last edited:
The war powers act is unconstitutional. Period.

The US has not made a declaration of war since WWII and how many wars(military engagements, police actions etc) have we participated in since then?

Short answer: Too many.

I understand why Presidents don't pursue a formal declaration of War, but I don't understand why we let them get away with it. We've gone from Presidents being able to fight emergency defensive actions to being able to actively take overt action. There's a lot of folks that will argue its the natural evolution of trying to defend against threats to the USA, but at some point it has to stop.

Forum List

Back