Operetta... does anyone even know what it is?

Operetta is a lighter form of opera and distinguishes itself from opera in three ways:

1.) spoken dialogue (which usually does not happen in Opera at all)
2.) ballet/dance numbers - practically required in the 3rd act.
3.) Generally sung by the lighter voice "Fächer". More use of character voices in Operetta than in the Opera.

Some Operetta's, however, are very difficult and sometimes, massive, like FLEDERMAUS, LES CONTES D'HOFFMANN, LAND DES LÄCHELNS.

The forerunner to Operetta is an in-between form, called SINGSPIEL in German. ZAUBERFLÖTE, though it is called an Opera, is actually a SINGSPIEL.

I have had intimate contact with Operetta as a genre for 28 years now.

Is there is a specific work that interests you, FJO?

I also had an intimate contact with operetta.

I was born and lived the first seventeen years of my life in Hungary, the country that produced THE operetta composers, Franz Lehar and Emerich Kalman, the country where kids grow up singing and doodling and whistling melodies dreamed up by these two musical geniuses, and I say that with no disrespect to Strauss, Zeller, Offenbach, Stoltz, Millocker and many others who are probably unknown to you.

Also unknown to you the operetta that is spoken and sung in that mysterious and wonderful language, Hungarian. You have no idea what you are missing.

I agree with you about musicals of today not measuring up to the musicals of years past.

Only, you have no idea in the world whether or not I have already sung roles in Mudyar, or not.....

:D

What is "Madyar"?

Operetta is a lighter form of opera and distinguishes itself from opera in three ways:

3.) Generally sung by the lighter voice "Fächer". More use of character voices in Operetta than in the Opera.

Some Operetta's, however, are very difficult and sometimes, massive, like FLEDERMAUS, LES CONTES D'HOFFMANN, LAND DES LÄCHELNS.

The forerunner to Operetta is an in-between form, called SINGSPIEL in German. ZAUBERFLÖTE, though it is called an Opera, is actually a SINGSPIEL.

I was born and lived the first seventeen years of my life in Hungary, the country that produced THE operetta composers, Franz Lehar and Emerich Kalman, the country where kids grow up singing and doodling and whistling melodies dreamed up by these two musical geniuses, and I say that with no disrespect to Strauss, Zeller, Offenbach, Stoltz, Millocker and many others who are probably unknown to you.

Also unknown to you the operetta that is spoken and sung in that mysterious and wonderful language, Hungarian. You have no idea what you are missing.

I agree with you about musicals of today not measuring up to the musicals of years past.

Only, you have no idea in the world whether or not I have already sung roles in Mudyar, or not.....

What is "Madyar"?

Better known as "Magyar", which means, of course, "Hungarian".

What is "Madyar"?

So, have you ever heard any Hungarian operetta?

What is "Madyar"?

So, have you ever heard any Hungarian operetta?

Yepp.

Forum List

Back