Operetta... does anyone even know what it is?

You do not give too much credit to people in general, do you?

Operetta is a lighter form of opera and distinguishes itself from opera in three ways:

1.) spoken dialogue (which usually does not happen in Opera at all)
2.) ballet/dance numbers - practically required in the 3rd act.
3.) Generally sung by the lighter voice "Fächer". More use of character voices in Operetta than in the Opera.

Some Operetta's, however, are very difficult and sometimes, massive, like FLEDERMAUS, LES CONTES D'HOFFMANN, LAND DES LÄCHELNS.

The forerunner to Operetta is an in-between form, called SINGSPIEL in German. ZAUBERFLÖTE, though it is called an Opera, is actually a SINGSPIEL.

I have had intimate contact with Operetta as a genre for 28 years now.

Is there is a specific work that interests you, FJO?

Hi. all!

Last operetta I have heared was "Marica" ;) Instead of opera, operetta usually more entertaining, with many light and pretty melodies, simple story and dances..

Operetta usually a good place to visit with girl :) After it - a cafe, and so on :))

I doubt it.

I work for a symphony orchestra 8 months per year.
:)))))))))

"...Mr. FJO, sitting on the coal tender, unwittingly made a wrong lead by giving an imitation of a target, and the Rotagilla trumped him. With a ball exactly between his shoulder blades the Creek chevalier of industry rolled off to the ground, thus increasing the share of his comrades in the loot by one-sixth each..."

I doubt it.

"...Mr. FJO, sitting on the coal tender, unwittingly made a wrong lead by giving an imitation of a target, and the Rotagilla trumped him. With a ball exactly between his shoulder blades the Creek chevalier of industry rolled off to the ground, thus increasing the share of his comrades in the loot by one-sixth each..."

Thanks..I wasn't trying to "one up" him, but it's a fact.

I doubt it.

Thanks..I wasn't trying to "one up" him, but it's a fact.

Which instrument do you play, if it not a secret?

The perception of operetta changes greatly when one is on the stage, actually doing it.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

Wow! I didnt' know, author of Marica, Kalman, also wrote "Fial of Monmartr"... There are no operetta without Kalman! :)

I don't think you quite understand where I am coming from...

Mod Edit: no altering quotes within the quote box or snipping in such a way as to change the meaning.

Last edited by a moderator:
The perception of operetta changes greatly when one is on the stage, actually doing it.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9515 mit Tapatalk

Wow! I didnt' know, author of Marica, Kalman, also wrote "Fial of Monmartr"... There are no operetta without Kalman! :)

I don't think you quite understand where I am coming from...

You mean, operetta is not so popular deep inside statistical brain? :)

No, actually, quite the opposite.

It's not Glinka and it's not Mussorgsky, but it's still wonderful.

Forum List

Back