Operation Iron Hammer

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
** I guess that's the name given to the new fight against the resistance. They are going to need to revert back to war tactics (before Bush declared an end) and stay on the offensive daily if they expect to make a dent. This will require a longer stay in Iraq and more soldiers. That obviously won't go over well with most of the public.

Or they could quickly turn over things to the new Iraqi's in charge, which in my opinion would be a fatal mistake. Even if you put in the UN instead of the US, I don't think the attacks will stop. If Saddam is in fact behind the attacks I don't think their will be a full cease of hostilities until all occupiers are gone. **

U.S. launches strikes in Baghdad

U.S. administrator to propose forming of interim Iraqi leadership

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- U.S. military forces have launched strikes aimed at cracking down on Iraqi insurgents following Wednesday's bombing that killed 26 people in Nasiriya and continuing guerrilla attacks against coalition forces.

U.S. troops attacked targets in western and southern Baghdad overnight in Operation Iron Hammer, said Capt. David Gercken, a spokesman for the U.S. Army's 1st Armored Division.

A strike in the western part of Baghdad targeted guerrillas who had launched mortars at U.S. troops. Those insurgents were trying to escape in a van when Apache attack helicopters struck, killing two people inside, Gercken said.

jejeje.

I thought it was a silly name too, but thanks for making that image more clear for me, jeff.

In all seriousness, jim, I'm as disheartened by the way things are going as you. I don't really understand "going on the offensive" against a completely hidden enemy, other than in terms brutally oppressive to the entire population of Iraq (constant searches, infiltration of groups, interrogations, etc.) and on the other hand, I agree that we shouldn't pull out with the way things are.

I don't know if the UN would even have any interest in entering at this point, but I sure wish this was an more broadly international project.

Forum List

Back