Operating system preferences?

N

NewGuy

Just curious what are everyones operating system preferences?

Example: Windows 98, Windows 2000, etc.....

Any thoughts?

Just trying to get some software talk going......

At work, I have to use 2k as well.

At home, I use slackware on the 2 machines and a redhat kernel on the server.

Originally posted by jimnyc
DOS :D

Atari made the better DOS. -Microsoft just won because Atari was holding out. :p:

(I had an atari 800 and used to program in basic)

A 12 year old with nothing better to do at night. :rolleyes:

My preference is XP, although I think the security features are better with 2000. Of course the best security appears to be with Linux (Redhat is my fav). I want to setup another PC with Linux again but I can't afford it. Anyone like to donate to my pc fund?

I remember there was a version of Linux that would run on top of Windows, anyone remember what that was, or know of any newer versions out?

*sorta off topic* - anyone use Vmware? We used to use that a lot at my last job. Great program that allows you to have virtual machines running within windows. I know it supported at least 95,98,2000,NT,XP,Linux,DOS...

Originally posted by jimnyc
My preference is XP, although I think the security features are better with 2000. Of course the best security appears to be with Linux (Redhat is my fav). I want to setup another PC with Linux again but I can't afford it. Anyone like to donate to my pc fund?

I remember there was a version of Linux that would run on top of Windows, anyone remember what that was, or know of any newer versions out?

*sorta off topic* - anyone use Vmware? We used to use that a lot at my last job. Great program that allows you to have virtual machines running within windows. I know it supported at least 95,98,2000,NT,XP,Linux,DOS...

Actually, peanut and a few others all do that by creating a virtual drive from when you are running windows. Unless you want limited functionality, the best way to go is still a standard install and then throwing VMWare on top. I don't use vmware, I haven't needed to.

If you are looking to run windows apps, there is always WINE which may work for some.

Forum List

Back