Open Borders and WOT

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I must say that most of us were aware of illegal immigration prior to 9/11. I can't say I'd given it much thought, though I remember being disappointed with what was coming out of the administration regarding working with Fox to normalize, I believe was the word, some of these workers.

Since 9/11 most Americans seem to have figured out that this border in particular, though not alone, poses a very serious threat to our security. After millions, (? billions) spent on the creation and expansion of Homeland Security, the logical first step has never been taken to any substantial degree.

So while the MSM helped report the 'disaster' of 'Bush's' Immigration Reform Bill, they've been strangely quiet on follow ups to a story the American people certainly would have wanted to hear more about:

http://www.jsharf.com/view/2007/07/interview_with_todd_bensman.html

Interview With Todd Bensman

On Backbone Radio last week, John Andrews, Matt Dunn, and I had the pleasure of interviewing Todd Bensman of the San Antonion Express-News about his four-part series, "Breaching America," that ran earlier in the year. The series followed an illegal immigrant and asylum-seeker from his homeland across the US-Mexican border, to his release by US authorities to join his family in the States.

His homeland: Iraq.

It turns out that there's a pipeline of illegals from "Countries of Special Interest" - mostly in the Middle East, almost all Muslim - that runs through Latin American into the United States.

The original series can be found here, here, here, and here.

After the interview, Todd graciously agreed to take follow-up questions for this blog by email. It took place in two parts, an initial round of questions and then a follow-up round. Except where noted below, the questions and answers are presented in order below.

Living in Southern California, illegal immigration has been on my radar for better than two decades. And for better than two decades I have been continuously disappointed with how our elected officials have handled the issue.

Anyone who believes that the issue concerns only Mexicans and Central Americans is sadly misinformed. Though they make up the highest percentage of illegal border crossings, they are not the only people who recognize that our borders are porous and the enforcement of said borders and our immigration laws are lax at best. People of many different nationalities use this to their advantage.

When the next terrorist attack comes to our shores, and it will happen, I will be the one yelling, "I TOLD YOU!!" when it is discovered that the people who carried out the attack entered the U.S. by illegally crossing the border of one of our neighbors.

After millions, (? billions) spent on the creation and expansion of Homeland Security, the logical first step has never been taken to any substantial degree.

Thank you. This is the bankruptcy of the Bush Administration in a nutshell. For all the good he has tried to do, it is the cynical arrogance of his vision of America, in the New World Order, for which he will be remembered - by me, at least. What a waste.

Good riddance - and, may conservatism prosper for the exercise.

Living in Southern California, illegal immigration has been on my radar for better than two decades. And for better than two decades I have been continuously disappointed with how our elected officials have handled the issue.

Anyone who believes that the issue concerns only Mexicans and Central Americans is sadly misinformed. Though they make up the highest percentage of illegal border crossings, they are not the only people who recognize that our borders are porous and the enforcement of said borders and our immigration laws are lax at best. People of many different nationalities use this to their advantage.

When the next terrorist attack comes to our shores, and it will happen, I will be the one yelling, "I TOLD YOU!!" when it is discovered that the people who carried out the attack entered the U.S. by illegally crossing the border of one of our neighbors.

I have no doubts that both parties have their talking points all written out in preparation for blaming each other for the next and inevitable attack.

Forum List

Back