Oops: Child-support error costs Man nearly $21,000

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Local News | Child-support error costs nearly $21,000 | Seattle Times Newspaper

Last December, a state child-support enforcement officer in Vancouver made a startling discovery: The state of Washington had taken nearly $21,000 over 10 years from a father for child support he did not owe.

The worker alerted his supervisors, asking what to do. Then he waited. And waited. And waited.

The state Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) finally sent a letter to the father — an unemployed logger in Lewis County — two months later. It told him about the mistake and offered a $1.24 refund, but said too much time had passed for a full refund, according to DSHS records.

The $1.24 was the amount the state collected after it realized it had made an error.

Once an investigator from the state auditor's whistle-blower program questioned DSHS managers about the case, the agency quickly reversed its approach and sent a second letter, apologizing. It soon cut the father, a 41-year-old whom it did not name, a $20,754.26 check, according to DSHS records.

The error began in September 1999, when a state child-support officer misread a court order for child support that, until then, had required the father to pay about $85 a month for the medical care of his then-3-year-old daughter. The worker interpreted the order to require financial support and began garnishing more than $340 a month from the father's paychecks.

Over the next decade, the father paid regularly, even though his work as a logger was at times sporadic. The case passed among at least three other caseworkers who didn't notice the error.

The error was discovered last December when the father asked for a copy of the original court order. At the time, the father, described in court records as a "constitutionalist," was in jail for threatening to file a lien against a Lewis County judge, according to court records.

Discuss.

I'm actually kind of surprised that he got it back.

And did the mother of the child get and spend that extra money? I would presume that she did.

So he was only ordered to pay for medical costs for his daughter?
And I want to know how often he took the child?

So he was only ordered to pay for medical costs for his daughter?
And I want to know how often he took the child?

I wondered how often he took her as well.

My dad probably paid $340 per child a month in child support and covered their medical and dental. Children are expensive.
I want to know the whole story. If he does take his daughter enough where he should not have to pay that much than yes he should get a refund. If he never sees his child than I don't feel bad for the guy.

No. I'll decide what I want to discuss or not. You don't need to tell me, or anyone else.

Lordy.

Working a little hard at being a hardass aren't ya?

Well... a sissie like you may think so but no, I just think it's tacky to have to TELL people to "discuss."

I mean this IS a "message board" where people come to do just that... isn't it? Then why do they need to be told to "discuss?"

Tacky.

Last edited:
No. I'll decide what I want to discuss or not. You don't need to tell me, or anyone else.

Lordy.

Well... a sissie like you may think so but no, I just think it's tacky to have to TELL people to "discuss."

I mean this IS a "message board" where people come to do just that... isn't it? Then why do they need to be told to "discuss?"

Tacky.
I like you Pale but sometimes you are party pooper and I have a feeling you either need to get laid or choke the monkey.

I like you Pale but sometimes you are party pooper and I have a feeling you either need to get laid or choke the monkey.

He's pouting because I called him out on his batshit birther conspiracy. :lol:

Lordy.

Tacky.
I'm just not one to climb on the band wagon when I see something as tacky or stupid. Yes, I'm a more serious type. But honey, I won't go into how much sex I have, but the last thing you need to worry about it me getting pussy. That doesn't have a rats behind to do with how I present my here. I've been much the same all the years I've been here. Just ask Gunny, or Dis, or Annie, or dillo, or Dr Grump for that matter.

Sorry I think that if you feel as though your thread is so lame you have to TELL people to DISCUSS it... that's just... TACKY.

I'm just not one to climb on the band wagon when I see something as tacky or stupid. Yes, I'm a more serious type. But honey, I won't go into how much sex I have, but the last thing you need to worry about it me getting pussy. That doesn't have a rats behind to do with how I present my here. I've been much the same all the years I've been here. Just ask Gunny, or Dis, or Annie, or dillo, or Dr Grump for that matter.

Sorry I think that if you feel as though your thread is so lame you have to TELL people to DISCUSS it... that's just... TACKY.

I'm going with none for $200 Alex!

As for you being the same, this birther stuff has really brought out the real you. :D

But hey, let's discuss it like two people!

He's pouting because I called him out on his batshit birther conspiracy. :lol:

Yup, I want to see obama's real birth certificate... you don't.

Have a fucking orgasm over it... I don't give a flying fuck about you or what you think dogshit. You're just one more idiot on this board I love to tick off because you'd rather piss on the constitution than see it upheld. No problem man. You're a liberal piece of dogshit. What else is new?

Tacky.

but pale, if I ask a question in the title of the thread, it is required that I put a word in for the first post of the thread. What word would you suggest I use, if not discuss?

I'm going with none for $200 Alex!

As for you being the same, this birther stuff has really brought out the real you. :D

But hey, let's discuss it like two people!

Discuss this...
fingers-021.gif

Yup, I want to see obama's real birth certificate... you don't.

Have a fucking orgasm over it... I don't give a flying fuck about you or what you think dogshit. You're just one more idiot on this board I love to tick off because you'd rather piss on the constitution than see it upheld. No problem man. You're a liberal piece of dogshit. What else is new?

I found the birth certificate, it's with Waldo and Carmen Sandiego. Happy Hunting!

Also, you think you piss me off? I think not Grand Wizard. The only one who's going around yelling profanity and acting like someone pissed in his cereal is you. :D

Forum List

Back