Ooh-Fukkin-Rah!

Hey, stop stealin' bob's war stories! :lol:

To Bob's credit, I haven't seen him say anything bad actually happened to him. (Other than rail about being abused generally). I've called him out for being a REMF directly and he hasn't denied it. So, until he does, whining Bobby was in the rear with the gear as far as I'm concerned.

He hasn't voted himself into the army in the poll. I know at least Crimson White and CSM are army vets. Thought there were a few more.

Army vet here too. Sergeant, E-5 Infantry. 11B20/11M20

I love the diminishing of a semi-humorous thread by some female that wants to come in and play the relativist, putting down bitching about the marquis de corpsmen by comparing it to childbirth.

Why does everything on this board have to turn into "mine was better" or "mine was worse" even if doesn't have a damned thing to do with the topic being discussed?
us females just ruin it every time for you don't we? It must really suck to be you, and I am sorry if I took that away from you.:eusa_shhh:

I didn't say a damned thing about females. My comment was in regard to anyone that has to barge into a thread, go off topic, just to try and one-up with "mine was better/worse."

So really, it sucks to be YOU that you have to attention whore like that. You took nothing away from me. I find gnats annoying too.
you said "some female"! And way to take a joke, did they stick that shot up your ass instead.:eek:

So, since titles like 'sgt' are not the same across the branches, is an e-5 in one branch of equal rank to an e-5 in another (and so forth)?

In battle, do you have to follow orders from a higher grade officer from another branch if you're together and you're not in contact with your own superiors? Can a high-ranking officer override the orders of a lower officer of another branch, or does each branch act entirely independently of the others (save for potus)?

Last edited:

To Bob's credit, I haven't seen him say anything bad actually happened to him. (Other than rail about being abused generally). I've called him out for being a REMF directly and he hasn't denied it. So, until he does, whining Bobby was in the rear with the gear as far as I'm concerned.

Didn't he say something about getting rapes in the barracs or something?

He's misusing the word for some sensationalism. His definition is being forced to do something against his will. In his case, go to Vietnam.

This guy protests too much. Most vets I know DON'T talk about shit, except maybe to another vet. If they're THAT messed up, they want to forget ... not talk about it all day long.

Can't say as I have seen it.

I haven't either, but I'd like to see it. I wait until all that stuff comes out on Blu-Ray then buy it.
It just came out on blue ray. I have heard Clint has owned the script for awhile but was not old enough to play the part until now, but that could be a rumor. Just imagine his character as the Gunny but older. The movie just shows that you can't be too old to be changed by someone.

And killed for it in the end. Great.:lol:

I used to know an old cat who went to Korea. He made a comment once about all the people walking around talking about 'nam and how most were probably never there. He pointed out that noone ever sits around and tells stories about Korea. They just don't talk about it.

That was pretty m,much all he ever said about Korea, actually other than that it was 'a bad war'- which confused me, since I didn't know there was such a thing as a 'good war'

dude was like 70-somethin' at the time. I think he might be dead now.

So, since titles like 'sgt' are not the same across the branches, is an e-5 in one branch of equal rank to an e-6 in another (and so forth)?

In battle, do you have to follow orders from a higher grade officer from another branch if you're together and you're not in contact with your own superiors? Can a high-ranking officer override the orders of a lower officer of another branch, or does each branch act entirely independently of the others (save for potus)?

All ranks are the same across the board. Enlisted and officer alike, although different branches my have a different name for each rank, the rank as far as E-4, E-5, O-4, O-5, etc., is the same. And yes, you have to follow orders if that person outranks you, even if they're in a different branch of the service.

I was a MSgt when I got out with a line number for SMSgt in the Air Force, but if I had walked past an Army officer and didn't salute, my ass would be grass, and he'd be the lawn mower.

Last edited:

He hasn't voted himself into the army in the poll. I know at least Crimson White and CSM are army vets. Thought there were a few more.

As a side note to the movie clip, if that movie had been real, we would have trained with those Marines in real life. We were designated the amphibious assault division for the Army and sent to Coronado to train with the Marines there. Turned out they hit Grenada a month later.

I haven't either, but I'd like to see it. I wait until all that stuff comes out on Blu-Ray then buy it.
It just came out on blue ray. I have heard Clint has owned the script for awhile but was not old enough to play the part until now, but that could be a rumor. Just imagine his character as the Gunny but older. The movie just shows that you can't be too old to be changed by someone.

but he wouldn't have died for them in the beginning.

Didn't he say something about getting rapes in the barracs or something?

He's misusing the word for some sensationalism. His definition is being forced to do something against his will. In his case, go to Vietnam.

This guy protests too much. Most vets I know DON'T talk about shit, except maybe to another vet. If they're THAT messed up, they want to forget ... not talk about it all day long.

That's exactly right! I joined in 1982. Everyone from Vietnam that was a lifer was still getting their 20 in. I knew all stripes of combat veteran. I was privileged to serve with the most decorated enlisted man in Vietnam. He was my Brigade CSM in 3rd ID. CSM Pat Tadina. His stories are so amazing Hollywood would never make the movie. And, guys who retired as E-5 Sergeants after 20 years. They were pretty colorful too. Heroes and the not so heroic, but they didn't talk about it. Maybe late at night, out in the field when you get reflective, but not usually.

My First Sergeant flashed back when we were in Coronado. That little mock village live fire range they had out there was just a little too real. Top took the M-60 from one of the gunners and tried to take the whole village himself. Kept screaming "feed me, feed me." Luckily some crept up and broke the belt at the feed tray. Took ole top to 7th West and we never saw him again. Don't know why I typed that....I just remembered it.

I used to know an old cat who went to Korea. He made a comment once about all the people walking around talking about 'nam and how most were probably never there. He pointed out that noone ever sits around and tells stories about Korea. They just don't talk about it.

That was pretty m,much all he ever said about Korea, actually other than that it was 'a bad war'- which confused me, since I didn't know there was such a thing as a 'good war'

dude was like 70-somethin' at the time. I think he might be dead now.

We had a guy in the 3rd Infantry Division when I was there that was walking around with a 3rd ID combat patch (worn on the right shoulder). The Division Sergeant Major saw him and went over to tune him up. (Because the 3rd ID hadn't been in combat since the Korean war). Well he goes over there and asks the guy (all set to light a red rocket up his ass) if he was in the Korean war. The guy said, "Yes, Sergeant Major, I was." The sergeant major takes a step back, looks at the guy, grabs him by the arm and says, "Come with me." Next thing you know, he's running the 3rd Infantry Division museum.

How do you know you're an old soldier? -- When they put you in a museum. :lol:

Though I just got here from page one and I'm dying to know how a discussion about Clint and Marines turned into a discussion about childbirth and babies.

Gunny and all other marines.....please tell me you've watched Gran Torino. It is flipping fabulous. Particularly watch for the "manning up" scene. It's fucking hilarious.

Can't say as I have seen it.

I grabbed it as soon as it came out, I'm die-hard for Clint. I loved Heartbreak Ridge and pretty much every other movie he's ever done except that incredibly idiotic one with what's her name...Oh god, the Bridges of Madison County. What a turd of a movie. For Clint, anyway.

Look at that 72 Gran Torino fastback boys, that's what my dad (82nd Airborn AND special forces before they were called Green Berets).....which I didn't know until his funeral) had when I was in high school.

'cept my dad's was a kind of sparkly brown color.

Your entire comment is based on assumption from ignorance. Your presumption that I need to be changed by someone is arrogant. You know nothing about me except what you see on a message board. You have no idea what I would be willing to do under like circumstances.

Being willing to die for something, and making a martyr of yourself are two different things.

us females just ruin it every time for you don't we? It must really suck to be you, and I am sorry if I took that away from you.:eusa_shhh:

I didn't say a damned thing about females. My comment was in regard to anyone that has to barge into a thread, go off topic, just to try and one-up with "mine was better/worse."

So really, it sucks to be YOU that you have to attention whore like that. You took nothing away from me. I find gnats annoying too.
you said "some female"! And way to take a joke, did they stick that shot up your ass instead.:eek:

The only joke here was before you decided to play the "I'm tougher than you guys" crap. "Some female" would be you specifically, not females in general, so try again. If you want to talk about how tough you are because you gave birth to a child, click the "new thread" button top left of your page. Works like a charm.

Your entire comment is based on assumption from ignorance. Your presumption that I need to be changed by someone is arrogant. You know nothing about me except what you see on a message board. You have no idea what I would be willing to do under like circumstances.

Being willing to die for something, and making a martyr of yourself are two different things.
Dude you need to take a chill pill, I wasn't even refering to you at all. I was talking about Clint Eastwood and no where did I saying anything relating to you. Maybe you should go have a beer or something.

The only joke here was before you decided to play the "I'm tougher than you guys" crap. "Some female" would be you specifically, not females in general, so try again. If you want to talk about how tough you are because you gave birth to a child, click the "new thread" button top left of your page. Works like a charm.
You are the only one who is still talking about it so maybe you should start the new thread.:slap:

So, since titles like 'sgt' are not the same across the branches, is an e-5 in one branch of equal rank to an e-5 in another (and so forth)?

A rather complicated bunch of answers.

1. In the situation where a group of people are cut off from their superiors, the senior person is in charge. It is that person's responsibility to take charge and it is the subordinates' duty to follow their orders, regardless branch of service. In a combat environment, if that officer has any brains, he's going to grab the highest ranking grunts in the group and ask their advice if the officer is not one.

Military personnel are assigned billets -- positions. Those positions make up a pyramid from bottom to top with each service assigned its role -- in the case of joint operations. Only those at the top will be intermingled operationally with the other services. Going down the pyramid, each unit and person answers to their unit.

At the top of the pyramid is one person. Under him he will have a staff made up of all the services that fall under his command. Those people will speak for and direct their respective branches of service to the Commander.

So, for the most part, each service carries out the orders of the commander independently. It's not a gagglefuck. The Army has its job and they are trained a certain way as are the Marines. We probably couldn't understand each other's lingo if we tried.

It's highly unlikely that military personnel will operationally fall outside their own commands though, and the odds of some senior officer from one branch countermanding the orders of a junior officer are slim. The senior officer would first off have to fill a billet with operational control over the junior officer.

Junior officers don't give orders. Their seniors tell them what they are going to do and they in turn tell their subordinates what they are going to do, but it is rare that a junior officer is in operational command of anything but carrying out a senior's order. So if someone comes along and tries to countermand it, he just calls his CO and explains why he isn't carrying out the mission and lets his seniors resolve the problem.

Forum List

Back