Ooh-Fukkin-Rah!

rips his earring out.

Just the whole scene. Classic. I hated that movie. I was a Sgt at the time and my CO immediately started calling me Sgt Highway.:evil:

can you imagine a platoon being that undisciplined?

Well, yes and no. Listen to what he says. The previous Gunny was a "Road agent" (Retired On Active Duty). As far as those guys were? No. But I've seen some sloppy shit when the leadership didn't care.

Troops are kids. They look up to their leaders and they emulate them. The movie itself is interesting. That platoon had no esprit de corps -- pride. They were the battalion whipping post. Gunny Highway had to prove to them they were worth a shit as Marines.

The sad truth is though, it requires bucking the deck like Highway does throughout the movie. When you do that, you are either appreciated, or hated by people like that REMF major. And you usually end up a retired Gunny, one step ahead of the lynch mob.:cool:

Just the whole scene. Classic. I hated that movie. I was a Sgt at the time and my CO immediately started calling me Sgt Highway.:evil:

Well, yes and no. Listen to what he says. The previous Gunny was a "Road agent" (Retired On Active Duty). As far as those guys were? No. But I've seen some sloppy shit when the leadership didn't care.

Troops are kids. They look up to their leaders and they emulate them. The movie itself is interesting. That platoon had no esprit de corps -- pride. They were the battalion whipping post. Gunny Highway had to prove to them they were worth a shit as Marines.

The sad truth is though, it requires bucking the deck like Highway does throughout the movie. When you do that, you are either appreciated, or hated by people like that REMF major. And you usually end up a retired Gunny, one step ahead of the lynch mob.:cool:

And to think I contemplated being a D.I. in the Air Force. I was an E-4 Senior Airman, and if I'd have become a D.I., they'd have given me a field promotion to Staff Sergeant. I think I may have enjoyed it. As it was though I made SSgt first time I tested anyway.

Got an interesting "funny" story for ya, Gunny. One of my cousins' sons is a former Marine, who, after a two year "retirement", re-upped, but in the Navy Natl Guard. Saluted the commanding officer upon reporting for duty, and got a very strange look. A clerk (I think it was) said to the commander, "A marine, sir."

Being a retired Chief Hospital Corpsman, I understand Marines to a certain degree... Nobody ever completely understands them! If they aren't actively killing something they can sometimes be a bit rowdy. However, if you have to be involved in any kind of a fighting circumstance you are in good hands with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children... Clint Eastwood? I think there must be a special place in heaven for him! He's the greatest.

Being a retired Chief Hospital Corpsman, I understand Marines to a certain degree... Nobody ever completely understands them! If they aren't actively killing something they can sometimes be a bit rowdy. However, if you have to be involved in any kind of a fighting circumstance you are in good hands with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children... Clint Eastwood? I think there must be a special place in heaven for him! He's the greatest.

Look Doc, why on Earth would you expect to understand people you routinely violated in one manner or another? Y'all's answer to everything was: "Hmmm ... seems your shots aren't up to date.":eusa_eh:

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Look Doc, why on Earth would you expect to understand people you routinely violated in one manner or another? Y'all's answer to everything was: "Hmmm ... seems your shots aren't up to date.":eusa_eh:

Ah yes, with the five inch long SQUARE NEEDLE... :lol:

Gunny - Can't help it. It's what they taught us in school. That and take a couple of these pills and shut up! I think it's so funny to see a guy who can rip your throat out with one swift motion pass out from getting a little routine shot!

Last edited:
Gunny - Can't help it. It's what they taught us in school. That and take a couple of these pills and shut up! I think it's so funny to see a guy who can rip your throat out with one swift motion pass out from getting a little routine shot!

You have a point? I'd rather be skewered with a bayonet.:eusa_eh:

Besides, I think y'all just made up shots. Let's see what we can tell teh dumb jarhead we're injecting into him today. Got blisters from a hump? Oh, you need a typhoid shot.:evil:

You know what happens when you get a typhoid shot on Thursday? You ain't going any-damned-where Friday night. You fuckers did that shit on purpose and you know it.:evil:

And to think I contemplated being a D.I. in the Air Force. I was an E-4 Senior Airman, and if I'd have become a D.I., they'd have given me a field promotion to Staff Sergeant. I think I may have enjoyed it. As it was though I made SSgt first time I tested anyway.
Since when did Air Force BMTS instructors become called "D.I.s"?? :eusa_eh:

I'm not sure if you fellas really know what MARINE really stands for. Let me help you figure it out:

M - arines
A - lways
R - ide
I - n
N - avy
E - quipment

Hope that straightens it out for you.

My theory is that if you're going to maybe get killed you should have all of your shots up to date because you never know what things are going to be like when ever you get to either heaven or hell... It would be a bitch to get killed in action and go to heaven only to catch cholera or something!

I'm not sure if you fellas really know what MARINE really stands for. Let me help you figure it out:

M - arines
A - lways
R - ide
I - n
N - avy
E - quipment

My theory is that if you're going to maybe get killed you should have all of your shots up to date because you never know what things are going to be like when ever you get to either heaven or hell... It would be a bitch to get killed in action and go to heaven only to catch cholera or something!

Incorrect. Gator freighters are paid for and owned by Marines. We just let people with nothing else to do drive.:lol:

Cholera. Now THERE's a wonderful shot. Knock you flat on your ass for 2 days. The "king" tho is STILL the typhoid shot. Nothing like spending the weekend with typhus because your idea of a cure is to shoot me up with the disease. :evil:

Evil bastards.:lol:

M - arines
A - lways
R - ide
I - n
N - avy
E - quipment

Incorrect. Gator freighters are paid for and owned by Marines. We just let people with nothing else to do drive.:lol:

Cholera. Now THERE's a wonderful shot. Knock you flat on your ass for 2 days. The "king" tho is STILL the typhoid shot. Nothing like spending the weekend with typhus because your idea of a cure is to shoot me up with the disease. :evil:

Evil bastards.:lol:

Amen to that---had to get em when I went to Okinawa---the whole damn family was sicker that a dog---imediately.

Since when did Air Force BMTS instructors become called "D.I.s"?? :eusa_eh:

'Scuse me... I do recall in 1979 when I took basic, they were called "Training Instructors."

Forum List

Back