Ontario Union Calls for Ban on Israeli Professors

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
Ontario union calls for ban on Israeli professors

Vanessa Kortekaas, National Post Published: Monday, January 05, 2009

Ontario's largest university workers' union is proposing a ban on Israeli academics teaching in the province's universities, in a move that echoes previous attempts to boycott goods and services from the Jewish state.

The resolution, proposed by CUPE's Ontario University Workers Coordinating Committee, is in protest against a Dec. 29 bombing that damaged the Islamic University in Gaza.

"In response to an appeal from the Palestinian Federation of Unions of University Professors and Employees, we are ready to say Israeli academics should not be on our campuses unless they explicitly condemn the university bombing and the assault on Gaza in general," said Sid Ryan, president of CUPE Ontario.

The resolution is still being drafted but the union said it will seek to prohibit Israeli academics from speaking, teaching or researching at Ontario universities. The CUPE committee will distribute the resolution to its members at the end of the month.

It will be put to a vote at the committee's annual conference in February.

Janice Folk-Dawson, chairwoman of the university workers committte, said: "Clearly international pressure on Israel must increase to stop the massacre that is going on daily. We are proud to add CUPE voices to others from around the world saying enough is enough."

Ms. Folk-Dawson said the committee felt it was crucial to do something.

How very sad that a union of university workers has proposed outright banning individuals based on nationality.

So much for academic scholarship. What a disgrace.

Firstly, let me say this is bloody stupid.

Secondly, I'm sorry but this has got me laughing out loud:

Ms. Folk-Dawson said the committee felt it was crucial to do something.

I have this ridiculous personal theory that nearly anything in public life can be referenced to something from Monty Python. This one just had me reaching for "The Life of Brian" (again).

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5P2jJdrz9bY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5P2jJdrz9bY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

How very sad that a union of university workers has proposed outright banning individuals based on nationality.

So much for academic scholarship. What a disgrace.

It is a disgrace. What's worse is that it's apparently ok for Hamas terrorists to teach there, but not Israeli's. Typical jew-hating.... amazing that it still exists with such virulence.

I am curious as to why this same "union" didn't ban Hamasniks for lobbing 3,000 missiles into Israel.

Ah well.

Discrimination and public policy is not what Unions are created for. It is this exact type of crap going on throughout that is killing Unions everywhere.

"Approximately 100 committee members will vote on the resolution at the conference on Feb. 19 in Windsor. If the resolution receives majority support, it will be on the agenda at CUPE Ontario's conference in May, when more than 1,000 would be expected to vote. Should it pass that point, the union would then ask the province's schools to respect the prohibition."

I agree this is not a good idea. Unless this is attached to a VERY long list of other academics from other nations who break the law. Then it could be fair, of course one might include Canadian academics as well, then there would be precious few teachers left.

Jillian - what Hamas Terrorists teach in Ontario? That sounds surprising enough to ask for some factual support...

It is a disgrace. What's worse is that it's apparently ok for Hamas terrorists to teach there, but not Israeli's. Typical jew-hating.... amazing that it still exists with such virulence.

I am curious as to why this same "union" didn't ban Hamasniks for lobbing 3,000 missiles into Israel.

Ah well.

I don't know why you're so surprised. This is liberalism at it's best. I'm curious why you still subscribe to an ideology that will always land you in this situation. Liberalism is the scion of euthanasia, population control, the demolition of religion, church and freedom of speech.

These are your peeps, Jillie! You might not be that far left yourself, but this is what the party represents.

I concur.

Holding individual citzens responsible for what their national governments are doing is just plain old wrong.
Did all of you miss this part?
Israeli academics should not be on our campuses unless they explicitly condemn the university bombing and the assault on Gaza in general

Anyone who doesn't condemn this shouldn't be teaching in a University, not in a Canadian one.

Did all of you miss this part?

Anyone who doesn't condemn this shouldn't be teaching in a University, not in a Canadian one.

Anyone who thinks that one has to pass a political litmus test to teach at a University probably shouldn't be at a University in the first place.

Universities are supposed to be bastions of free thought, not citadels of political correctness.

Anyone who thinks that one has to pass a political litmus test to teach at a University probably shouldn't be at a University in the first place.

Universities are supposed to be bastions of free thought, not citadels of political correctness.

Try living in reality. :eusa_whistle:

Well... he didn't say ban them, he said:

"In response to an appeal from the Palestinian Federation of Unions of University Professors and Employees, we are ready to say Israeli academics should not be on our campuses unless they explicitly condemn the university bombing and the assault on Gaza in general," said Sid Ryan, president of CUPE Ontario.

Which is dumb, he isn't asking US academics condemn their nation, or Chinese academics condemn theirs, or Russians... you get the point.

Ontario is a province of Canada. Just like a state is part of the USA. It has its own capital (Toronto) and is home to the nation's capital (Ottawa).

As for generously donating a 'fuk' as you put it, it really shouldn't matter WHERE one is, it matters what one SAYS or DOES.

Of course, I am living in Ontario - so feel free to disregard my Ontarianistic message.

Ontario is a province of Canada. Just like a state is part of the USA. It has its own capital (Toronto) and is home to the nation's capital (Ottawa).

As for generously donating a 'fuk' as you put it, it really shouldn't matter WHERE one is, it matters what one SAYS or DOES.

Of course, I am living in Ontario - so feel free to disregard my Ontarianistic message.

Why does your location say 'west'?

Forum List

Back