Only one Senate Democrat supports Obama’s recess claim

Senate Democrats | Obama Recess Appointments | The Daily Caller
Only one Senate Democrat, out of 51 asked, told The Daily Caller that President Barack Obama was correct when he claimed the Senate was in recess Jan. 3. That’s the day Obama announced that he had exercised his executive authority to fill four top posts during a Senate recess.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid endorsed Obama’s decision as a way around GOP opposition, but pointedly refused to say whether he thought the Senate was in recess.

Looks like the Senate is not entirely behind Obama on this. Could get interesting.

Could Obama have just shot his re-election chances in the foot with this one?

If he was not the Media Darling Liberal Democrat yeah he might have. But the Media is ignoring this story, they don't give a fuck. Obama can do anything he wants as far as they are concerned.

I personally have lost all faith in our Government. The Constitution is meaningless. Has been for a long time, but Obama sure has a way of Highlighting the fact.

I hear you...but my loss of faith is in the media. its very very simple- republicans are held accountable in the public domain, the media enures it is so, thats something I can never ever get a just about any liberal to comprehend when we discuss media bias, this lack of objectivity is a huge imbalance and its by sheer weight of numbers and repetitiveness this does in the end cost elections and influence.....

the democrats are barely held to a standard, it takes something cosmic to get the networks, times, wapo etc. off their asses, and then, it dies a quick death in any case....

example; I seem to remember the 'imperial presidency' mantra being trotted out monthly over some such awful Bush supposedly perpetrated to shred the constitution....and yet as you say, here? *yawn*

If they wouldn't have blocked his confirmation origionally, they wouldn't have to worry about it. Suck it up.

If they wouldn't have blocked his confirmation origionally, they wouldn't have to worry about it. Suck it up.

ok then, but, bookmark this post.

when a rep. president decides to appoint someone during a sessioon, no tears, no rants........ payback is a bitch. *shrugs*

I do not believe this story.

I don't believe it either, you go to that wingnut site and the first thing you see is a big fat Rush ad.

I actually do believe it, because even MSNBC admits that the Senate was technically not in recess at the time. However, that is because Republicans made sure the senate never would be totally out of recess. This was to ensure that Obama would never be able to appoint anyone to this position.

Like I said, just because the democrats never agreed that it was a recess, it doesn't mean they didn't support Obama's decision.

ok then, but, bookmark this post.

when a rep. president decides to appoint someone during a sessioon, no tears, no rants........ payback is a bitch. *shrugs*

Now, flip that. If/when that happens there's a whole mess of USMB rightwingers who are now obligated to stamp their feet in a fit of butthurt, and some will be obligated to make calls for impeachment.

Exactly what is it you don't believe? That the Constitution got pissed on or that the Big 0 did the pissing?

That they got an answer from all 51 democratic senators over the Xmas recess. Ludicrous.

provide evidence they are wrong then.

It's my opinion that it seems unlikely they got in touch with 51 senators who are on vacation and nothing else. I may be wrong but I am probably right. If you want some proof you might as well wait until the senate is back in session. Do I need to post a disclaimer that my opinions are just opinions?

Last edited:
Republicans have had daily meetings to pretend the senate is not in recess to block anything this president does. They hate him that much. al Qaeda has a lot in common with American Republicans. The enemy of my enemy is.......

So I take it you were equally disgusted when Harry Reid did the exact same thing to Bush? Liberals must have been just like Al Qadea when they did that huh?

you disingenuous hippo critical piece of human waste.

Only one Senate Democrat, out of 51 asked, told The Daily Caller that President Barack Obama was correct when he claimed the Senate was in recess Jan. 3. That’s the day Obama announced that he had exercised his executive authority to fill four top posts during a Senate recess.

A spokesperson for South Dakota Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson said he “supports the appointments,” but wouldn’t answer whether Johnson thought the Senate was in recess.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid endorsed Obama’s decision as a way around GOP opposition, but pointedly refused to say whether he thought the Senate was in recess.

Looks like the Senate is not entirely behind Obama on this. Could get interesting.

How many Senators have passed a measure declaring the President' appointment void due to their lack of consent?

How many Senators have passed a measure declaring the President' appointment void due to their lack of consent?

That would be a meaningless waste of time. Obama may not have had the power to do what he did, but he did it. Until such times as the Courts rule he did not have the power to do it, His actions have the weight of law.

The Companies effected by the new Agencies, or the NLRB will have to be the ones to sue, and bring this situation before the courts.

Simply looking at the wording of the Constitution it seems clear Obama over stepped his Powers, However we all know it's not that simple anymore, Even our Supreme Court has been corrupted by Personal Ideologies. Anything can happen, and anything can be ruled Legal, Even the illegal.

That would be a meaningless waste of time. Obama may not have had the power to do what he did, but he did it. Until such times as the Courts rule he did not have the power to do it, His actions have the weight of law.

The Companies effected by the new Agencies, or the NLRB will have to be the ones to sue, and bring this situation before the courts.

Simply looking at the wording of the Constitution it seems clear Obama over stepped his Powers, However we all know it's not that simple anymore, Even our Supreme Court has been corrupted by Personal Ideologies. Anything can happen, and anything can be ruled Legal, Even the illegal.

LOL! If the President did indeed make an appointment without recess, the Senate is the injured party, but if the Senate doesn't actually make a statement claiming to have been injured - to have had their authority usurped - then the supposed injured party is making no claim, and there is no case.

The "Companies affected" have no damages to claim.

Simply looking at the wording of the Constitution it seems clear Obama over stepped his Powers,
Really? Where does the Constitution define "recess" and state how long the Senate must be out of session for it to be considered in recess?

Yeah. The OP's underlying "story" seems fictional.

I mean, Charles Fucky Sucky UpChucky Schmucky Shumer cannot be the ONLY liberal Democrat Senator to pretend to support the President's glaringly dishonest move.

Bold, heavy handed...ya probably...dishonest? I don't see where he did any slight of hand.

It was pretty much "in your face".. Now Mitch the bitch and his republicans have the ball squarely in their court. If they do nothing about it then they are the pussies we all thought they were and Obama has lost nothing.

I mean, Charles Fucky Sucky UpChucky Schmucky Shumer cannot be the ONLY liberal Democrat Senator to pretend to support the President's glaringly dishonest move.

Bold, heavy handed...ya probably...dishonest? I don't see where he did any slight of hand.

It was pretty much "in your face".. Now Mitch the bitch and his republicans have the ball squarely in their court. If they do nothing about it then they are the pussies we all thought they were and Obama has lost nothing.

It wasn't bold. It was JUST dishonest.

President Obama to one of his lackeys: "Those fucking GOP Senators are blocking my brilliant nominations. Ah screw them. Bush did it often enough. Lotsa Presidents have. I'll just appointment these nominees via the RECESS APPOINTMENT Power!"

Lackey to the President: "But, Mr. President, the Senate is not going to BE in recess. They voted to remain in session pro forma."

President Obama to his lackeys: "Fuck 'em. I'll just CALL it a recess appointment, anyway! I can do it. I AM the President."

Lackey to the President: "Yes, Mr. President. Brilliant sir. When the truth, the Constitution and reality get in your way, CHANGE the script! Bravo sir. Excellent Executive decision. It's bold. If I might say so, it's heavy handed. It's 'in your face' to those horrible horrible miserable Republicans!" :eusa_clap:

This President is fundamentally dishonest.

The Senate did not confirm the appointee and by the exact words of the Constitution, the Big 0 has once again broken the law and in this particular case has done so in direct, and I see this as a literal interpretation of the word direct, violation of the the Constitution.

This is not a blow job in the pantry. This is a violation of his oath and of the Constitution.

You see, the reason the Founders put this language in the Constitution is that they did not want a King. Apparently, you do.

Move to Saudi Arabia to find one. Bring a burka. Leave your rights here.

And by the way, no appointment made while the Senate is in session as the Senate defines the term is legal unless 2/3 of the Senators present concur.

Section. 2.

Clause 1: The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

Clause 2: He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

Clause 3: The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

Last edited:
I do not believe this story.

Exactly what is it you don't believe? That the Constitution got pissed on or that the Big 0 did the pissing?

That they got an answer from all 51 democratic senators over the Xmas recess. Ludicrous.

I guess i don't either. The Dems don't do anything when the Senate is actually meeting. How could they be expected to do anything when they are on break?

LOL! If the President did indeed make an appointment without recess, the Senate is the injured party, but if the Senate doesn't actually make a statement claiming to have been injured - to have had their authority usurped - then the supposed injured party is making no claim, and there is no case.

Simply looking at the wording of the Constitution it seems clear Obama over stepped his Powers,
Really? Where does the Constitution define "recess" and state how long the Senate must be out of session for it to be considered in recess?

Next move is that Obama will burn the Reichstag, oops, I mean that , oh, you know, that building on top of that hill with the pointy dome thingy on it.

Last edited:

The Constitution does not and that is by intention. Only the Senate can define when the Senate is in recess. The Founders were a little fearful that a king might arise.

Their fears were apparently not unfounded.

It wasn't bold. It was JUST dishonest.

President Obama to one of his lackeys: "Those fucking GOP Senators are blocking my brilliant nominations. Ah screw them. Bush did it often enough. Lotsa Presidents have. I'll just appointment these nominees via the RECESS APPOINTMENT Power!"

Lackey to the President: "But, Mr. President, the Senate is not going to BE in recess. They voted to remain in session pro forma."

President Obama to his lackeys: "Fuck 'em. I'll just CALL it a recess appointment, anyway! I can do it. I AM the President."

Lackey to the President: "Yes, Mr. President. Brilliant sir. When the truth, the Constitution and reality get in your way, CHANGE the script! Bravo sir. Excellent Executive decision. It's bold. If I might say so, it's heavy handed. It's 'in your face' to those horrible horrible miserable Republicans!" :eusa_clap:

This President is fundamentally dishonest.

This is not dishonest. The Failed Stimulus was dishonest. This is just illegal.

Forum List

Back