Only Four (4) Presidents In The Last Century Have Won 50% of The Vote Twice

Obama is the first president in our history whose margin of victory for reelection was smaller than his first one.

Indeed, his margin of victory dropped by over 60% and he lost many demographic groups that he won handily the first time around.

For example, Romney handily beat Obama among every income group except the bottom two: the poor and lower middle income ($0 to $25K and $25K to $50K). Romney won soundly among voters who earn $50K or more, i.e., the middle class, the affluent, the rich, and the super rich ($50K-$99K, $100K-$199K, $200K-$249K, $250K and above). Romney's margins of victory in those groups were 6%, 10%, 5%, and 13% respectively.

Romney also carried independents by a margin of 5%, 50% to 45%.

On the other hand, Obama soundly beat Romney among high school dropouts, winning that sad demographic by nearly 2 to 1 (64% to 35%). By the way, those uneducated voters accounted for about 3% of all votes cast, so we're not talking about some insignificant number. By any measure, a group that makes up 2-3% of the electorate is important, especially when the election is decided by less than 3%.

If low-income and lower-middle-income voters had not gone so overwhelmingly for Obama--63% to 35% and 57% to 42%--Romney would have won.

So, in a very real sense, one can say that Obama owes his victory to the two bottom income groups and high school dropouts, the two least-successful demographic groups among us.

Last edited:
It changes the concept you outlined in your post.

Doesn't change what they said about the way the document was constructed, and no offense but I trust them more than you. It's a shame more Americans choose to believe the lawyers instead of their own eyes.

The document was written by a lawyer.

Jefferson read law while working as a law clerk for Wythe. During this time, he also read a wide variety of English classics and political works. Jefferson was admitted to the Virginia bar in 1767.[14]
Thomas Jefferson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excuse me, Jefferson wrote the DOI, Maddison wrote the majority of the Constitution and the bill of rights. BTW I find no mention of him being a lawyer.

Obama is the first president in our history whose margin of victory for reelection was smaller than his first one.

Indeed, his margin of victory dropped by over 60% and he lost many demographic groups that he won handily the first time around.

For example, Romney handily beat Obama among every income group except the bottom two: the poor and lower middle income ($0 to $25K and $25K to $50K). Romney won soundly among voters who earn $50K or more, i.e., the middle class, the affluent, the rich, and the super rich ($50K-$99K, $100K-$199K, $200K-$249K, $250K and above). Romney's margins of victory in those groups were 6%, 10%, 5%, and 13% respectively.

On the other hand, Obama soundly beat Romney among high school dropouts, winning that sad demographic by nearly 2 to 1 (64% to 35%). By the way, those uneducated voters accounted for about 3% of all votes cast, so we're not talking about some insignificant number. By any measure, a group that makes up 2-3% of the electorate is important, especially when the election is decided by less than 3%.

If low-income and lower-middle-income voters had not gone so overwhelmingly for Obama--63% to 35% and 57% to 42%--Romney would have won.

So, in a very real sense, one can say that Obama owes his victory to the two bottom income groups and high school dropouts, the two least-successful demographic groups among us.

Romney got less votes then McCain.

Just barely, yes (58.8M to 59.9M). On the other hand, Obama got far fewer votes than Obama in 2008, well over 60% fewer (62M to 69.4M).

Again, Obama owes his victory to the two least-successful groups of voters: the bottom two income groups and high school dropouts.

Last edited:
Doesn't change what they said about the way the document was constructed, and no offense but I trust them more than you. It's a shame more Americans choose to believe the lawyers instead of their own eyes.

Jefferson read law while working as a law clerk for Wythe. During this time, he also read a wide variety of English classics and political works. Jefferson was admitted to the Virginia bar in 1767.[14]
Thomas Jefferson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excuse me, Jefferson wrote the DOI, Maddison wrote the majority of the Constitution and the bill of rights. BTW I find no mention of him being a lawyer.

My bad.

A slave holder and plantation owner authored the Constitution.

James Madison, Jr. (March 16, 1751 (O.S. March 5) – June 28, 1836) was an American statesman and political theorist, the fourth President of the United States (1809–1817). He is hailed as the “Father of the Constitution” for being instrumental in the drafting of the United States Constitution and as the key champion and author of the United States Bill of Rights.[1] He served as a politician much of his adult life. Like other Virginia statesmen in the slave society,[2] he was a slaveholder and part of the élite; he inherited his plantation known as Montpelier, and owned hundreds of slaves during his lifetime to cultivate tobacco and other crops.

Still..he's hardly the "simple farmer" you seem to make the founders out to be.

Well they better be clearing a spot on Mount Rushmore..

with 8%unemployment his whole term Obama should go down in history where everyone in the country can admire him..

Just barely, yes (58.8M to 59.9M). On the other hand, Obama got far fewer votes than Obama in 2008, well over 60% fewer (62M to 69.4M).

Again, Obama owes his victory to the two least-successful groups of voters: the bottom two income groups and high school dropouts.

Which means what?

Adams, Hayes, Harrison and Bush all lost the popular vote but still became President.

Obama won both his elections. By both Popular and Electoral votes.

Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Reagan and Obama.

Think about that, doesn't it warm your heart? :)

Indeed, stats are funny things...
by putting in the constraint of two terms it leaves out
Presidents who only served one term

Technically, your statement is wrong.
McKinley won both terms over 50%
one just happened before the turn of the century
and one after (1900).

Out of your group..
only Reagan and Eisenhower
got more votes in later elections

Warm the heart ? Yes it does
:eusa_angel:

Of course if we remove the constraint of
two terms

Presidents over 50% in the Last Century

William McKinley
Theodore Roosevelt
William H. Taft
Warren G. Harding
Calvin Coolidge
Herbert Hoover
FDR
Eisenhower
Richard Nixon
Jimmy Carter
Reagan
George H.W. Bush
George W. Bush
Papa Obama

Oddly enough, the Democrats seem to be the worse at it
Warms the heart
:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:

My bad.

The "glorious" Athenian democracy that gave birth to Western civilization was led by slaveholders and allowed legalized slavery on a grand scale. Some of the "brightest lights" and "most enlightened" Greek and Roman intellectuals who are still praised in our history textbooks owned slaves. We have major college football teams named after the Spartans, the Trojans, etc., yet both the Spartans and the Trojans held slaves among them.

George Washington, Patrick Henry, and Benjamin Franklin owned slaves.

This is NOT to say that slavery was not wrong. It IS to say that one must be very, very careful about judging one generation by the standards of a much later generation.

My bad.

James Madison, Jr. (March 16, 1751 (O.S. March 5) – June 28, 1836) was an American statesman and political theorist, the fourth President of the United States (1809–1817). He is hailed as the “Father of the Constitution” for being instrumental in the drafting of the United States Constitution and as the key champion and author of the United States Bill of Rights.[1] He served as a politician much of his adult life. Like other Virginia statesmen in the slave society,[2] he was a slaveholder and part of the élite; he inherited his plantation known as Montpelier, and owned hundreds of slaves during his lifetime to cultivate tobacco and other crops.

Now you're trying to put words in my mouth, I didn't say they were simple farmers, I said they wrote the Constitution were a simple farmer could understand it.

My bad.

The "glorious" Athenian democracy that gave birth to Western civilization was led by slaveholders and allowed legalized slavery on a grand scale. Some of the "brightest lights" and "most enlightened" Greek and Roman intellectuals who are still praised in our history textbooks owned slaves. We have major college football teams named after the Spartans, the Trojans, etc., yet both the Spartans and the Trojans held slaves among them.

This is NOT to say that slavery was not wrong. It IS to say that one must be very, very careful about judging one generation by the standards of a much later generation.

As it is to ascribe characteristics upon people that didn't exist.

The founders were not "simple folk". Quite the contrary, the were the best and the brightest. They were also the progressive liberals at the time.

They were breaking from a notion that government should be ruled by people who were born into it and chosen by god.

That was pretty "revolutionary" at the time.

My bad.

The founders were not "simple folk". Quite the contrary, the were the best and the brightest. They were also the progressive liberals at the time.

They were breaking from a notion that government should be ruled by people who were born into it and chosen by god.

and don't forget limited gov't
and liberty

My bad.

Now you're trying to put words in my mouth, I didn't say they were simple farmers, I said they wrote the Constitution were a simple farmer could understand it.

No it wasn't.

The Constitution is a template for government. That isn't "simple". Many simple farmers are not going to get the concept of "patents". That's pretty alien to them. They aren't going to get the whole idea of the Electoral College either. There's a good deal of complexity in the Constitution and that's good. Because it sets up a system of checks and balances that don't allow one branch of the government to become to powerful or overwhelm the other branches.

While the text is pretty clear and direct. The concepts are not. And we've been arguing them ever since the document was completed.

Indeed

even Blacks in the US owned slaves,...

yep, but they want to leave that out..

Sure
the whole basis of this thread is a testament to how weak the
Democratic party has performed over time. The left is just too dumb
to realize it.

Keeping it in perspective
Papa Obama is the first Democrat to win over 50% of the vote
since Carter

And you notice they make this thread as if it's special where Obama is with other Presidents, then trash the Republican one in it..

Liberals are mental cases:cuckoo:

and don't forget limited gov't
and liberty

The "limited" idea is something you folks just don't get. Limited means a concept that Obama has brought up that got many of you folks in quite a tizzy. The government has "Negative Liberties". What does that mean? The government has limited power in restricting the rights of it's citizens and people in general.

And that's something conservatives have been chiseling away at for quite some time.

Well you all can forget about Limited government

Obama's visions are BIG DADDY government running your lives with him as your Dear Leader..

ObamaCare is just A START..

ENJOY

Actually, the concept of Negative Liberties is a leftist idea

It bothers the Left that the Constitution only tells the gov't what it can't do
The Left would prefer if it was more like leftist constitutions and told the gov't
what it was suppose to do, e.g. provide home, work etc.

The Founding Fathers understood that with each power one gives the gov't
more power is lost by the individual and that is a bad thing. Thus they formed
a constitution with specific enumerated powers to limit the gov't.

But why fret your pretty little head over this...?
The left has been chipping away at this for years
Soon enough and thanks to the work of the Left
the US Constitution will be no more than a historical document.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back