Only dopes use dope

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Or maybe not.

Why do some individuals choose to drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, and use illegal drugs while others do not? The origin of individual preferences and values is one of the remaining theoretical questions in social and behavioral sciences. The Savanna-IQ Interaction Hypothesis suggests that more intelligent individuals may be more likely to acquire and espouse evolutionarily novel values than less intelligent individuals. Consumption of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs is evolutionarily novel, so the Savanna-IQ Interaction Hypothesis would predict that more intelligent individuals are more likely to consume these substances. Analyses of two large, nationally representative, and prospectively longitudinal data from the United Kingdom and the United States partly support the prediction. More intelligent children, both in the United Kingdom and the United States, are more likely to grow up to consume more alcohol. More intelligent American children are more likely to grow up to consume more tobacco, while more intelligent British children are more likely to grow up to consume more illegal drugs.

Smart People Drink, Dope, and Smoke - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Why shouldn't intelligent people be able to make the choice to use, or not to use, recreational substances without the government getting in the act?

Or maybe not.

Why do some individuals choose to drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, and use illegal drugs while others do not? The origin of individual preferences and values is one of the remaining theoretical questions in social and behavioral sciences. The Savanna-IQ Interaction Hypothesis suggests that more intelligent individuals may be more likely to acquire and espouse evolutionarily novel values than less intelligent individuals. Consumption of alcohol, tobacco, and drugs is evolutionarily novel, so the Savanna-IQ Interaction Hypothesis would predict that more intelligent individuals are more likely to consume these substances. Analyses of two large, nationally representative, and prospectively longitudinal data from the United Kingdom and the United States partly support the prediction. More intelligent children, both in the United Kingdom and the United States, are more likely to grow up to consume more alcohol. More intelligent American children are more likely to grow up to consume more tobacco, while more intelligent British children are more likely to grow up to consume more illegal drugs.

Why shouldn't intelligent people be able to make the choice to use, or not to use, recreational substances without the government getting in the act?

Because their choices keep impacting on other people. If people would pay for the outcomes of their actions, no problem. But they don't. People drink - then drive - and kill others. People get addicted to crap and do themselves enormous harm - and go to rehabs - which they claim on their insurance, pushing up premiums for others. People smoke cigarettes.... as long as they don't do it in enclosed spaces around me, I have no problem... but they can pay for their own cancer treatment and not push up my insurance premiums.

That's the problem - other people's stupidity impacts on me.

Or maybe not.

Because their choices keep impacting on other people. If people would pay for the outcomes of their actions, no problem. But they don't. People drink - then drive - and kill others. People get addicted to crap and do themselves enormous harm - and go to rehabs - which they claim on their insurance, pushing up premiums for others. People smoke cigarettes.... as long as they don't do it in enclosed spaces around me, I have no problem... but they can pay for their own cancer treatment and not push up my insurance premiums.

Not nearly as much as yours impacts me.

Leaving aside the issue of being irresponsible enough to get behind a wheel when you can barely walk, the cost of the drug war adds up to way more than the incidental medical costs of abusing drugs. Take a look at what is happening in Mexico if you don't believe me. That is a direct result of our decision to outlaw substances that were previously available over the counter or with a prescription, and our foreign policy goal of imposing that on every other country in the world. Without our war on drugs Mexico would have a significantly lower murder rate.

Or maybe not.

Leaving aside the issue of being irresponsible enough to get behind a wheel when you can barely walk, the cost of the drug war adds up to way more than the incidental medical costs of abusing drugs. Take a look at what is happening in Mexico if you don't believe me. That is a direct result of our decision to outlaw substances that were previously available over the counter or with a prescription, and our foreign policy goal of imposing that on every other country in the world. Without our war on drugs Mexico would have a significantly lower murder rate.

I don't drink and drive. In fact, I hardly ever drink alcohol. I don't do drugs. I don't smoke. My recreational habits do not impact on anyone else in a negative way. So, your "not nearly as much as yours impacts me" is bullshit.

On the day that I get a guarantee that your habits won't impact on me - financially or otherwise, you can do what you want. Until then, fuck off.

Last edited:
I do really stupid shit when I'm drunk. True story. Lol

That is why I never get drunk, and rarely drink. I can be stupid all on my own and resent the fact that people want to blame the alcohol when I am wasted.

Anyone who works with troubled kids will tell you that they ALL have one thing in common: substance abuse. They are either users and/or children of users. The cost goes beyond dollars and cents. Ever see a methodone baby or a child with FAS? You wanna get fucked up? Fine. Get sterilized first.

I don't drink and drive. In fact, I hardly ever drink alcohol. I don't do drugs. I don't smoke. My recreational habits do not impact on anyone else in a negative way. So, your "not nearly as much as yours impacts me" is bullshit.

On the day that I get a guarantee that your habits won't impact on me - financially or otherwise, you can do what you want. Until then, fuck off.

You support of the drug wars negatively impacts my free will and my pocket. That is how your personal choices impact me more negatively than the personal choices of a guy who sits in his apartment and smokes weed, or even the personal choices of a person who is a chronic heroin addict. After all, most of my costs for that heroin addict comes from the war on drugs, not from the health care I also have to pay for. If you are really concerned about the financial impact of their choices you should support the legalization of all drugs, it would save you a lot of money.

Last edited:
I just read a study that teens now smoke more pot than cigarettes. The theory is that pot has become more socially acceptable. I can see ten years from now, crack heads feeling the same way. Good Lord. No thank you.

Or maybe not.

That is true of many more activities and substances than illegal (or legal) drugs. Someone eats a lot of crappy foods - gets fat - has heart problems - which they claim insurance, etc. People play contact sports - get injured - etc. People don't exercise - you get the point. Your argument, which seems to center around things that have not just a direct, but an indirect effect on you, could be used to make all manner of things illegal or force people into all manner of behavior they would prefer not to do, and which a supposedly free society shouldn't force them to.

I understand that many drugs can have horrible effects on people, both illegal and prescription. I understand the desire to protect others, especially children, from that, and I understand not wanting to have to care for those who harm themselves with those drugs. However, the issue seems to me to be more with how we deal with those who use drugs rather than the legality of the drugs. Perhaps the worry should be about how insurance companies function rather than whether someone goes to prison for selling. This is especially true considering people are using the drugs despite their illegal standing.

Fuck. After reading this idiocy, I need to roll a joint.
First I'll do payroll since everyone is off on PAID vacation until Jan 3.
Then I need to run into town and pay their SS and my taxes for next year. I save 13% if I pay before Jan 5.
Peace.
The Drunken Druggie.

Forum List

Back