Only 100 days?

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
I've seen many similar cases to this over the past 10 years and the penalty is usually 3-7 years. He got off easy. He killed a man and he'll be walking the streets in a little over 3 months.

Janklow Draws 100-Day Jail Sentence

FLANDREAU, S.D. - Bill Janklow, who dominated South Dakota politics for three decades as governor and then congressman, was sentenced to 100 days in jail Thursday for a car crash that killed a motorcyclist and ended Janklow's career in disgrace.

After 30 days behind bars, Janklow will be allowed to leave jail during the day for up to 10 hours to perform community service. After he completes his jail term, he will be on probation for three years, during which he will not be allowed to drive.

The 64-year-old Republican was found guilty Dec. 8 of second-degree manslaughter, speeding and running a stop sign for a collision that killed 55-year-old motorcyclist Randy Scott at a rural intersection on Aug. 16.

"If I could change places with him, I would. It's easy for me to say that, but I would," the former congressman told the judge before hearing his sentence.

"All I can say, judge, is I'm sorry for what happened and I wish I could change it," Janklow said, his voice choking.

Janklow said he never tried to excuse his behavior. He said he got a lot of traffic tickets, but none after he was elected to the third of his four terms as governor in 1994.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ap/20040123/ap_on_re_us/janklow_sentencing_19

If he were not a politician, the sentence would have been years.

Shameful.

Forum List

Back