Online Purchases Soon To Be Taxed Nationwide...

Why should brick and mortar stores be at a competitive disadvantage and online retailers get preferential treatment from the government?

becasue the transaction doesn't involve the state?

If I buy a book from amazon who has a depot in Nevada from which they post me the book, or I buy a digital book, why should I pay cali sales tax?

one more time- why would I have to pay a sate sales tax where I live, for this purpose?

This would not in any way "level the playing field" but it would destroy online sales, which would have to include state taxes as well as shipping charges. Amazon might survive but you can say bye bye to countless smaller online operations.

I don't shop online to avoid paying sales tax. I shop online because it is convenient and the stores I do business with, have 800 numbers, if you need to contact them. Amazon charges less for their products, than my local stores, which tend to be small, other than Walmart, because my town is small and so are the towns nearby.

I agree, however, that we should let the free market dictate . It is capitalism at it's best, which is not a perfect system, just the best system. There will be losers and winners. It is called, evolution.

Why should brick and mortar stores be at a competitive disadvantage and online retailers get preferential treatment from the government?

If I buy a book from amazon who has a depot in Nevada from which they post me the book, or I buy a digital book, why should I pay cali sales tax?

one more time- why would I have to pay a sate sales tax where I live, for this purpose?

Because in your state, presumably, there is also a Use tax that you trigger whenever you make a purchase out of state.

how in the world does an online retailer get preferential treatment? all walmarts, kmarts, sears, jc pennys, targets, home depots etc and do huge online business and ALL of these customers have to pay sales tax on what they purchase because these stores reside in their states.

Any person can order from a catalog center like Spiegals and if spiegals is not in their state, then their purchases are not taxed and HAVE NEVER been taxed. Any person can call llbean and order something from them, and if the customer is not a Maine resident, then the customer's purchase ships tax free....

If I have an online business in maine, maine's state laws say i must collect the state sales tax on all i sell delivered to a maine residence. I follow the law just like a brick and mortar store...i have absolutely no advantage given to me that is not given to llbean or walmart if shipped to a state without one of their stores.

What you are trying to do, make me and all other people with craft shops, making less than 1 hand full of thousands a year, is putting us out of business by making us set up sales tax for every state that we don't live in and every county that has a sales tax that we don't live in, with all the different intricacies of each states tax code where some don't tax things that other states tax and then collect this money for other State gvts and keep the book keeping on it and then transfer each state the tax monies that have NOTHING TO DO WITH ME and are of no benefit to me....

i'm sorry that's just bull crap.

no one saves money by buying from me online vs in person....if anything, the customer loses bigtime!!! WITH SHIPPING COSTS....which are usually 10 times more than sales tax.

Gawd you guys have no clue....most online sellers are TRULY VERY VERY VERY SMALL TIMERS....

The large stores present in every state with huge online businesses are already following the laws of every state they are in....

this tax cheating is NOT the mom and pop onliner's problem. THEY ARE following the laws within their states....the problem is with the cheaters or the tax laws within each state.

Maine is the ONLY STATE that has jurisdiction over me and THAT is the way of a Democratic Republic.....the state of california etc. can NOT tell me what to do, PERIOD

That's true. You could live under a bridge and access this site from the library.
Wait....

And your argument - that no one is forced to engage in a sales transaction - can be met with a similar response.

No, it cannot. If you dont want to buy food you can always grow it. If you dont want to buy clothes you can make them. You can move to ALaska,which has no sales tax. etc etc.
Fail.

Dude, I almost negged you for suggesting that...move to Alaska. We have enough now, we don't want or need any more lazy-assed leech-libtards.

Because in your state, presumably, there is also a Use tax that you trigger whenever you make a purchase out of state.

yes you are right and its a rip off.

California Use Tax Information - Board of Equalization

yes you are right and its a rip off.

California Use Tax Information - Board of Equalization

It's not a rip off. The purpose is to equalize the playing field between in state and out of state retailers. If one charges more than another, that is competition. But allowing one to sell tax free is not competition, it is crony capitalism.

Ha! I just made a couple hundred dollars worth of online orders with three different companies. Not one item was available locally. So how am I hurting local businesses? Tell me again.
I do shop locally whenever I can, but there are just some things that have to be acquired elsewhere.

So many more people are on welfare and states that took stimulus money to cover it are now scrambling to cover their bigger budgets. The Obama administration has conspired with Mexico to make sure all the illegals living here know where they can get their own EBT cards.

Time to squeeze every last penny out of everyone. It will only get worse.

I don't really see adding a tax into commerce for the federal government as a bad idea. A couple of percent tax is not crippling, and it would really help us cover our bills. It would also be an equal tax. Sales tax is the tax every consumer pays, and for the most part we all pay it equally. leeway is given to businesses that manufacture and resell to be sales tax free if the purpose of the materials is to be resold. That is where a business is allowed to avoid sales tax in order to help it exist.

Really, this sort of tax should be applied to all goods sold to the US market. This way when foreign businesses make their success based on the american people, they also contribute to america and it's market.

About the only complaint i can see is giving more money to the fuckwits in congress to blow on bullshit. Still, it is more revenue and i do not see it killing off small business at all. The days of tax free internet sales are limited in the US. Right now it is a tax dodge to use the internet. It actually promotes using non-local businesses and sending money away from where you live. You are supposed to pay tax on purchases inside your state which means if you want to avoid sales tax you purchase out of state, and the revenues go to making other places better.

I really fail to see how this actually cripples small business, and that is as a person who owns and operates them.

Did you read the story and discover that it's the BIG RETAILERS that are in favor of this?

Sheeeeesh!

Exactly. The big guys can't stand the fact that people shop online because its cheaper than buying the overpriced crap in stores. Of course they want a tax on online goods because it means they might get a few more customers.

Did you read the story and discover that it's the BIG RETAILERS that are in favor of this?

Sheeeeesh!

Exactly. The big guys can't stand the fact that people shop online because its cheaper than buying the overpriced crap in stores. Of course they want a tax on online goods because it means they might get a few more customers.

If the stuff they sell is overpriced compared to online sales and other things considered then they will not sell it. If the difference is only in the sales tax then it is not the B&M retailer's fault. He is competitive in price.

I don't really see adding a tax into commerce for the federal government as a bad idea. A couple of percent tax is not crippling, and it would really help us cover our bills. It would also be an equal tax. Sales tax is the tax every consumer pays, and for the most part we all pay it equally. leeway is given to businesses that manufacture and resell to be sales tax free if the purpose of the materials is to be resold. That is where a business is allowed to avoid sales tax in order to help it exist.

Really, this sort of tax should be applied to all goods sold to the US market. This way when foreign businesses make their success based on the american people, they also contribute to america and it's market.

About the only complaint i can see is giving more money to the fuckwits in congress to blow on bullshit. Still, it is more revenue and i do not see it killing off small business at all. The days of tax free internet sales are limited in the US. Right now it is a tax dodge to use the internet. It actually promotes using non-local businesses and sending money away from where you live. You are supposed to pay tax on purchases inside your state which means if you want to avoid sales tax you purchase out of state, and the revenues go to making other places better.

I really fail to see how this actually cripples small business, and that is as a person who owns and operates them.
A Federal sales Tax would apply to all online retailers AND all Brick and mortar Stores, added to the State Sales Taxes they are already responsible for collecting.

a federal sales tax might start at 2% but each year could go up as the gvt spends more and more, and some day could be an additional 5% or an additional 10% in federal sales tax, on TOP OF the federal income taxes, the federal Medicare taxes, the federal Social Security taxes, the federal gasoline taxes, and the federal cigarette taxes, and the federal liquor taxes etc etc etc...while ONLY the income tax being progressive and ALL OTHER taxes being REGRESSIVE, hitting the poor and middle class the MOST.

Sales taxes DECREASE sales, this is why some states have chosen not to have a sales tax, so to better compete in regions and get customers to shop in their stores. Up here we have new Hampshire without a sales tax...people from Maine, Massachusetts and Vermont, (and connecticut residents and Rhode Island too depending on where they live in the states) are only a hop, skip and a jump away....we even make the trip over to New Hampshire to buy our liquor for any big party we are having.

States are suppose to compete with each other, to make each State, the best that it can be...adding a federal tax on top of what states have chosen for themselves, would hurt this process as well, imho.

Care

A Federal sales Tax would apply to all online retailers AND all Brick and mortar Stores, added to the State Sales Taxes they are already responsible for collecting.

a federal sales tax might start at 2% but each year could go up as the gvt spends more and more, and some day could be an additional 5% or an additional 10% in federal sales tax, on TOP OF the federal income taxes, the federal Medicare taxes, the federal Social Security taxes, the federal gasoline taxes, and the federal cigarette taxes, and the federal liquor taxes etc etc etc...while ONLY the income tax being progressive and ALL OTHER taxes being REGRESSIVE, hitting the poor and middle class the MOST.

Sales taxes DECREASE sales, this is why some states have chosen not to have a sales tax, so to better compete in regions and get customers to shop in their stores. Up here we have new Hampshire without a sales tax...people from Maine, Massachusetts and Vermont, (and connecticut residents and Rhode Island too depending on where they live in the states) are only a hop, skip and a jump away....we even make the trip over to New Hampshire to buy our liquor for any big party we are having.

States are suppose to compete with each other, to make each State, the best that it can be...adding a federal tax on top of what states have chosen for themselves, would hurt this process as well, imho.

Care
You know that a federal sales tax will apply acroos the board how? There has been no bill introduced, no specifics mentioned anywhere I've seen. So I'm curious how you know this.
Of course I expect no answer at all since you are incapable of debate.

Care
You know that a federal sales tax will apply acroos the board how? There has been no bill introduced, no specifics mentioned anywhere I've seen. So I'm curious how you know this.
Of course I expect no answer at all since you are incapable of debate.
Well, it seems to me, it would have to be EQUAL UNDER THE LAW for all retailers....why would you make people that shop online pay for a federal sales tax on the goods sold and not make the people who shop in a store on the gound, pay it?

Right now, the law treats the on line seller and the brick and mortar seller the SAME in each State... As an online seller, I must collect sales taxes from my customers buying from me within the Sate. As a B & M store, by law they must collect Maine State sales tax from anyone that buys from them within the State.

If some customer calls me or uses my online site, and orders an item being shipped to another state, I don't have to charge Maine Sales tax for it. If some customer walks in to some mom and pop Brick and Mortar Store, or calls on the phone to order from some brick and mortar store or uses the brick and mortar online link and orders something that is being shipped out of state, that Brick and Mortar store does not, by law, have to collect maine taxes on it.

All things being equal under the law for both B and M stores and the online retailer....and fair to all customers.

adding a federal tax to ONLY online sales will NEVER happen...

Yes, more Government & more Taxes. Uh huh, that's the answer. Because that's working out great for our Nation right now. Man, how can so many be stuck on stupid? The phony Conservatives especially, really have hit rock-bottom with this one. Shame on em.

Forum List

Back