online computer stores

Slyhunter

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2014
Florida
Is there an online computer store where I can scan my computer so it knows what I have then when I say double my ram it would know which 8mb simm to sell me to match the one I already have or if I need to replace the one that I have with a 16mb simm card. Be useful in picking out graphics cards as well.

Someone told me PC Pitstop but that place just wanted to sell me virus protection.

So I buy any 8mb simm and it will work on my computer. I don't have to worry about nano seconds, speed or whatnot? Because all system information says is that I have 8gb of ram it doesn't say what kind of ram or what speed of ram.

If I were you I would open my computer and see what I have, then get another.
All it says is 8gb of ram.
So any 8gb ram simm will work on my computer? I thought it had to be the same or faster speed then the one you already had? That there are many types of ram.

So I buy any 8mb simm and it will work on my computer. I don't have to worry about nano seconds, speed or whatnot? Because all system information says is that I have 8gb of ram it doesn't say what kind of ram or what speed of ram.

If I were you I would open my computer and see what I have, then get another.
All it says is 8gb of ram.
So any 8gb ram simm will work on my computer? I thought it had to be the same or faster speed then the one you already had? That there are many types of ram.
No, there is no site that will do that except the computer manufacturer's site and only if you download their software (if it's available) to allow them to "see" your computer. And yes, you need compatible RAM for your system configuration.
That said there is free system/hardware info tools that you can download. In my opinion the two best are CPU-Z and Speccy.

CPU-Z

CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID
Select - 'Setup English 32 and 64 bit'

Speccy

Speccy 1.32.740 for PC Windows
Click - 'Download Latest Version' selection ONLY, don't download anything else you don't want or don't need.

Either of these will tell you exactly what kind of RAM you have.
Also more RAM may or may not speed things up for you, may speed it up a lot, may only help a little, again it depends on other hardware factors.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back