Online College: Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Cain, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    So, I know a few people in the Active-Duty Military who work on Online Degrees and I was wondering: Does anyone really know the credibility of them? Are they worth to do? I signed 6 years of Active-Service, and plan to stay in for 20 years so if I go to college it is going to have to be Online I believe.

I, personally, have always dreamed of a MA or PHD in Military History, but I also dream of a degree in Agriculture Business BA. So, I am going to say, I am wanting to get a BA in Military History/History, and a MA in Military History, but I am pretty sure, I am going to have to go to a school for the MA.

What do you think/advise?

Also, I was told by a friend who is currently Air Force Active Duty [Fire Protection] that your first year is mostly spent working as a Apprentice, and trying to get something [honestly forgot] achieved, Level 5s I think he called it? Anyways, so the first year or two I am not going to be able to manage it, but just wondering anyways. Love to plan ahead.

2. aplcr0331

aplcr0331 ConvenientHeuristic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Your first year or two will be spent at boot camp, tech school, and then ojt and earning your 5 level. Which means doing your 5 level CDC's (correspondence courses). You'll be busy, but depending on your AFSC you could still go to college. Most Air Force tech school get you college credits as well, so you can apply those towards your CCAF degree (A two year degree from the Air Force) and then you can transfer to a 4 year college.

Online college is legit as long as the school is. Meaning if the school is accredited and they offer online degrees then there is nothing to worry about except ignorant people's perception of "online learning".

What is your AFSC going to be in the AF?

AgriBusiness and Military History? Pretty extreme difference in those two degree plans. What do you want to do with your degree?

Good luck,

C

3. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    My advice would be to use distance learning courses at a traditional school. Avoid the for-profits, like University of Phoenix.

You can test out of most of your freshman year requirements, if you scored highly enough. Saves time and tuition money.

Seems to me, the military would have advisors very skilled in just such questions.....mebbe ask a recruiter?

4. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Seriously, Cain, you are better off speaking to serving military and the USAF about options, not a bunch of idiots on a forum. One of my brothers did a Masters in Military History, one has a PhD in International Relations - both did correspondence courses. Ask those who have been there and done that, they know much more than we do.

5. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60

Security Forces. lol yea, I get that a lot. Ag Business would be for farm management, and Military History because I have always wanted to teach it. I am pretty sure I'll just give up Ag Business.

6. aplcr0331

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Just because you are not in the military or have an online degree does not mean you should call yourself an idiot.

<---------------------------13 years military, 6 active duty, 7 in national guard.
    <---------------------------multiple college degrees, some online and some in person.
    <---------------------------not an idiot (although my wife might object).

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. aplcr0331

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Security Forces? Yeeeeech :) That's a bit different than most AF positions. Your optempo will be greater than most. Meaning more training, more deployments and you'll probably work some odd hours. Which will make getting a degree a little more difficult.

The CCAF degree you will be eligible for will be in Criminal Justice. You might get some of that to transfer to a 4 year college but I imagine there is not too much overlap between SF curriculum and AgriBusiness or Military History for that matter.

Once you have served in the military for your initial active duty tour you can apply to the Troops to Teachers program. They can help you get started on your way to becoming a teacher. Just a note for further consideration: History teachers are a dime a dozen. You would be better off getting a teaching certification in Math or Science. Much higher need, thus you'll be more able to get a job, with those subjects than for History or Social Studies.

There are a number of colleges out there with history degree. And yes, you are much better off going to a traditional university that offers distance learning/online education than you would going to an online only school.

C

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  8. Mr. Sauerkraut

Mr. Sauerkraut Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +84
    a few moth ago i took a hitchhiker with my ride. He told me about his online studies (business administration). It´s simple and cheap, only the exam fees are a bit expensive because he needs a lawyer where he can make it. But he´s allowed to share one with some other students, so that these costs are affordable too.

It´s a question of acceptance but in general, i think this is the future.

9. old navy

old navy <<< Action Figures

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    I'd like to add a bit to what aplcr 0331 wrote. Special education is another area where there are teacher shortages. I teach high school and we get more students every year but not more teachers. The competition for non math and science jobs is tougher than ever. Some of the SPED classes only have 5 or 6 students. I have 170 students in 6 classes. Of those 170, I have as many if not more students with IEPs than the SPED teachers do.

To the online topic. I needed a couple of education courses to qualify for my five year teaching license. I did them both at an all online university. I had to get the school system to approve it prior and I was surprised that they did. Regional accreditation was the key. I have a masters in public administration and will start a political science masters in a few weeks. I may try for an endorsement to teach government. I should go for the SPED endorsement though. Less students.

10. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Don't do it.

You can take college course (usually on most large bases) and get a real degree from a real college.