One year after DADT......No big deal

A year after DADT repeal, no harm done - CNN.com

According to a leading senator, it presented "an intolerable risk" to national security.

According to a consortium of retired generals, it would "break" the U.S. military. And according to a leading advocacy group, over "528,000" servicemen and women would be lost.

Something this terrible must be averted. We must take action now!

Except it is too late. The scary danger that these generals, John McCain, and the Family Research Council were warning about wasn't a future terrorist attack or war with China, it was allowing gay and lesbian service men and women to openly serve in the U.S. military. That "grave risk" is now celebrating its one year anniversary, and none of the dire predictions proved correct.

Aaron Belkin"Don't ask, don't tell" was one of the most controversial issues in American politics, with tens of thousands of articles and speeches on the topic. And yet, once it happened, it played out a lot like Y2K. There was a huge amount of hype and hysteria, but the world did not end.

gop-cry-baby.jpg

John-Boehner_JFK-Inaug-Crying-300x244.jpg

6-crying-boehner-gifs.jpg

According to a leading senator, it presented "an intolerable risk" to national security.

According to a consortium of retired generals, it would "break" the U.S. military. And according to a leading advocacy group, over "528,000" servicemen and women would be lost.

Except it is too late. The scary danger that these generals, John McCain, and the Family Research Council were warning about wasn't a future terrorist attack or war with China, it was allowing gay and lesbian service men and women to openly serve in the U.S. military. That "grave risk" is now celebrating its one year anniversary, and none of the dire predictions proved correct.

Aaron Belkin"Don't ask, don't tell" was one of the most controversial issues in American politics, with tens of thousands of articles and speeches on the topic. And yet, once it happened, it played out a lot like Y2K. There was a huge amount of hype and hysteria, but the world did not end.

So, McCain was wrong.....again??

And a whole bunch of other RWers that were sure our military couldn't handle gays in their midst.

Maybe they can handle the gays because so many of them are dopers to begin with.

So "CNN" reports it's "no big deal," huh, assbreath?

Is "CNN" serving/deployed/being shot at?

Are you?

Idiot....

Maybe they can handle the gays because so many of them are dopers to begin with.

Members of the Armed Forces are 99.9% Drug Free my friend.

Frequent pee tests keep that in check.

I'd hire a vet in a second - always on time, dependable, hard working, mission oriented, drug free.

Of course we have a few scumbags who slip through the system.....

You need to pull your head out of your ass - this isn't the 1970s when yes, there was a hell of a lot of smokin' going on.

Are you?

Idiot....

Are you?

Members of the Armed Forces are 99.9% Drug Free my friend.

Frequent pee tests keep that in check.

I'd hire a vet in a second - always on time, dependable, hard working, mission oriented, drug free.

Of course we have a few scumbags who slip through the system.....

You need to pull your head out of your ass - this isn't the 1970s when yes, there was a hell of a lot of smokin' going on.

Then this isn't at all true, is it?

Study: Substance Abuse In The Military A ‘Public Health Crisis’ « CBS DC

Face it

Gays are defending their country and you are not

Thank God for the gays! How could this nation survive without them. :clap2:

As an aside - I already defended this country (you failed to do so) - 23 years - so people like you could "smoke pole" in the privacy of their trailers.

Next?

Are you?

Idiot....

I did and I was sure it would be no big deal when the ban was lifted. I was right.

Face it

As an aside - I already defended this country (you failed to do so) - 23 years - so people like you could "smoke pole" in the privacy of their trailers.

Next?

23 years?

Impressive....but too bad a vet with 23 years of service ended up being a disgrace to his country

We are afraid and fear things we don't understand or know. I know a lesbian,really nice friend of mine...don't treat her any differently than my other friends...I was against this and I am still against wearing uniforms in homosexuals parades and the such but I don't see WHY its anyone's business if the man or woman serving beside you likes other women or men....as long as they are protecting my back and I am protecting their's that's all that should matter.Personally I think the military brought this on themselves by putting a policy in place in the first place why not just let things be?

Seeing someone wearing a uniform in a gay pride parade is something that will probably never happen. Why? Simple, before an active duty servicemember is able to go to a demonstration, they have to check it out with their PAO (Public Affairs Officer) to see if they can even participate, and then the PAO tells them what they can and can't do (including the wearing of a uniform).

As far as the repeal? I knew this would be a non-issue, because prior to DADT, if a person was found out to be gay, the command would have them processed for discharge within 48 hours. After DADT? Took something along the lines of 6 months to a year, and there was a whole mess of paperwork that had to be submitted.

But I've got news for everyone.........I enlisted in 1982 and retired in 2002, and on EVERY SINGLE COMMAND that I'd ever been to, I knew of at least 2 gay people, most of who were male. And.............it didn't seem to cause much problem during those years, so why should it be a problem now? Especially with the changing views of the military in the late 90's towards gay people. Most didn't care then, most really don't care now.

However...............it HAS done some good for morale, because now openly gay members can use the Ombudsman system to keep in contact with their active duty partners.

Face it

Next?

23 years?

Impressive....but too bad a vet with 23 years of service ended up being a disgrace to his country

Hey...........bad people can slip through the system if they're careful. In the late 80's while I was serving at NATTC Millington TN (later they moved NATTC to Pensacola), there was a Master Chief who was caught having sex with his son. 25 plus years of service were wiped out for him.

But..................what else can you expect? The military is a cross section of the country.

Forum List

Back