One Way Trip to Mars...Would You Go?

The infrastructure and supply train will be the biggest problem to overcome. Even if the humans can build shelter, supplies will need to be continually sent. Stuff break or wears out, food will be a drain (even if some local agriculture is grown in greenhouses), weather will be an issue (e.g. hurricane force sandstorms will al but necessitate underground dwellings), short of fusion generators, some kind of power system will require periodic resupply.

I wish them all the best, but what happens if the company backing this project goes bust? At least if some government was behind the scheme, there would still be money flowing into the project.

Effort would be better spent establishing a moon base as jumping off point to test your designs. You would also be able to boost up a larger, better space ship in sections and provision it for a large crew.

I have always maintained that Moon is going to be a very useful entry and exit point for space voyages. Only thing is that although it is much smaller than Earth, it still is large enough to have significant gravitational field which will require lots of energy to break away from it. That is why we will have to build a large space station orbiting Earth that is no more than the size of a city. It is easier to type it but building it will be a tough undertaking. This is where we will take large ships in parts and assemble. Then these ships will take off for longer voyages. Mars is in our backyard. So I think we can shoot off to it directly using much smaller spaceships like what we have been doing.

So the finalists have been named for a One-Way Trip to Mars. Is it suicide...heroic...stupid...daring? Mars One

I would do it...only if I had a guarantee that I would be able to copulate with a female in space.

But seriously, are these guys heroes or wanna be reality stars?

It looks like a scam to me. Call back when they lift off.

Thought the thing MIT said about they'll die long before they reach Mars was interesting. CO2 build-up in the craft will become toxic by day 70 or something like that.

Beyond that, radiation in 'open space' is going to be lethal in not too long.

Any number of reasons this isn't going to work that proposing to do it reveals a flippant mindset of some very calous people looking to get money for funding at the expense of peoples' lives.

Build the fucking base
Supply the tools to get water and air.
Build the greenhouse
Build the interplanetary ship that can go back and forth.

Work with China, India and Europe if we need too. At the same time we will gain the capability to protect our planet from asteroids much better.

Why not?? The resources of space will more then make up for the resources used to do so. It is human fear and stupidity not too.

Build the fucking base
Supply the tools to get water and air.
Build the greenhouse
Build the interplanetary ship that can go back and forth.

Work with China, India and Europe if we need too. At the same time we will gain the capability to protect our planet from asteroids much better.

Why not?? The resources of space will more then make up for the resources used to do so. It is human fear and stupidity not too.

Mars perhaps is the most attractive destination because it has/had some striking resemblance with Earth and the distance seems manageable but even Mars is far in future. We are a very long way from human space travel that will explore distant corners of our solar system provided we do not go extinct before that. Our existence is very fragile. There are a number of cosmic events that can wipe out life on Earth. That is why, ideally speaking, it is desirable to have an alternate home other than Earth in case Earth gets hit by an asteroid or so but realistically speaking, that is not possible in any foreseeable future. This of course doe not mean that we need to abandon our space ambitions. We just have to keep on going till we can and I think we will.

Certainly, I can't be the only person here compiling long lists of USMB members who I wish would take the trip, am I?

Propose a destination to a habitable planet with breathable atmosphere and such and I'd condier it. Going to Mars though is just trading a terrestial tin can enviroment like under the ocean, for one on the surface of Mars. If you want a different visual get a projector-tv and put one on the wall. :)

So the finalists have been named for a One-Way Trip to Mars. Is it suicide...heroic...stupid...daring? Mars One

I would do it...only if I had a guarantee that I would be able to copulate with a female in space.

But seriously, are these guys heroes or wanna be reality stars?

Another IDIOT OP. Good lord! Have mercy on us.
geez.gif

No way. For some people it might be a life long dream ( unexplored space travel) that I understand. What I don't get is the desire not to come back.
...and if I had a terminal illness I for sure wouldn't waste it on space travel.

We don't raise people to commit to anything lifelong any more. Used to be marriage was supposed to be for life but hasn't been for some time now. Cars are leased a few years then abandoned. Homes are flipped. So I don't think asking people to sign something saying they're in it for the rest of their lives makes any sense.

New Topics

Forum List

Back