One Way To Increase Revenue

US Postal Service has reported an annual loss of a $15.9bn...
:eusa_eh:
US Postal Service in $16bn loss
15 November 2012 - The US Postal Service has seen declining mail volume but increases in shipping services
The US Postal Service has reported an annual loss of a $15.9bn (£10bn), ending a year in which it defaulted on payments twice to avert bankruptcy. Its financial losses were more than triple the previous year's. Most of the mail agency's financial woes come from mounting mandatory costs for future retiree health benefits.

Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe said the Postal Service's hands are tied by congressional inaction on a bill that would allow it to reduce the payments. "It's critical that Congress do its part and pass comprehensive legislation before they adjourn this year to move the Postal Service further down the path toward financial health," Mr Donahoe said, calling the situation "our own postal fiscal cliff". One version of the bill would cut down on the required $5bn annual health-benefit payment and allow it to eliminate Saturday mail delivery.

Earlier in 2012, the Postal Service defaulted for the first time in its history on two of the health payments. The Senate passed a postal bill in April that would have reduced the mandatory advances and refunded overpayments to a federal pension fund. But legislation proposing an end to Saturday delivery has stalled in the House of Representatives. The mail agency has seen other structural problems in declining mail volume, but has seen growth in it shipping services, up 9% in 2012.

Fredric Rolando, president of the National Association of Letter Carriers, blamed Congress for mandating the annual health pre-payments in 2006, but suggested lawmakers should wait to act on legislation until next year. His union is opposed to the current version of the House bill, which gives the Postal Service wide leeway to close post office branches and make employee cuts to balance its budget.

BBC News - US Postal Service in $16bn loss

:cool:

Cutting costs only goes so far in easing serious budget deficits, so the USPS is looking to junk mail as a rescue remedy to add more revenues.

The postal service is planning to woo businesses and direct marketers with rebates and discounts to increase advertising mail.

U.S. Postal Service Hopes To Deliver More Junk Mail « CBS Pittsburgh

This is getting kind of silly. My mail box is already full of junk mail. Are they going to install a bigger mail box, or just back a dump truck up and dump it by the yard full?

Silly.

Cutting costs only goes so far in easing serious budget deficits, so the USPS is looking to junk mail as a rescue remedy to add more revenues.

The postal service is planning to woo businesses and direct marketers with rebates and discounts to increase advertising mail.

This is getting kind of silly. My mail box is already full of junk mail. Are they going to install a bigger mail box, or just back a dump truck up and dump it by the yard full?

Silly.

Then you willing to pay $0.50 , $0.75 to mail a letter?
In 2007 213 billion pieces of mail was handled by USPS.
If price of letter went to $0.75 on the above pieces: $159 billion or $70 billion more!

Stamps Going Up a Penny...
:eusa_eh:
1-cent increase to stamp price gets regulatory OK
Nov 16, 2012 WASHINGTON (AP) -- It will cost 46 cents to mail a letter
The cost of mailing a first-class letter will go up by a penny in January. The Postal Regulatory Commission on Friday approved the proposed rate increase, which raises the price of a first-class domestic stamp to 46 cents.

The price of a postcard will increase from 32 cents to 33 cents, while a new global "forever" stamp will allow customers to mail letters anywhere in the world for one set price of $1.10. Currently, the prices for international letters vary. The prices go into effect Jan. 27.

The U.S. Postal Service, which posted a record annual loss of $15.9 billion, proposed the rate increase last month. The rate increase is tied to the rate of overall inflation. It will make only a small dent in the mail agency's financial losses.

Source

When will the post office start being a healthcare provider? I have always wanted junk body parts deposited in my mail box.

Silly.

Then you willing to pay $0.50 , $0.75 to mail a letter?
In 2007 213 billion pieces of mail was handled by USPS.
If price of letter went to $0.75 on the above pieces: $159 billion or $70 billion more!

They call it 'snail mail' for a reason.

why did the right shackle the Post Office with a pension funding burden NO OTHER entity in the wolrd has to shoulder?

why did the right shackle the Post Office with a pension funding burden NO OTHER entity in the wolrd has to shoulder?

Bullshit. USPS’ problem in prefunding the retirement benefits of its employees came about in the first place because it wasn’t meeting those obligations either before 2006, when the Congress mandated that it follow the same accounting practices it requires of all other businesses in the United States.

The bill that imposed that "burden" was co-sponsored by Bernie Sanders...not exactly on the "right" and it passed by a vote of 410 to 20. Clearly, there was bipartisan support. But you should probably blame the right anyway...for consistency's sake. :lol:

Their losses are NOT all because of funding the health benefits of future Postal Service retirees, which accounts for about 60% of the loss. In other words, the prefunding of future retiree health benefits for current postal employees would not keep the Post Office from both losing money in its operations and also failing to meet its other obligations to its employees, like paying for their workers compensation insurance.

Lastly, without the prefunding requirement, it is estimated that the Postal Service’s unfunded liabilities will soar to around $100 billion by the end of the decade...exactly the situation causing California cities to go bankrupt.

The post office, even with their legal monopoly on first class mail, manages to lose $16 billion a year. But hey! Let's give the boss a raise!

Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe "earned" $512,093, compared with $384,229 in 2011, according to regulatory filings.

Despite $15.9 billion loss, U.S. Postal Service execs see boost in pay - Washington Times

Damn one percenters...:eusa_shifty:

You are talking about the monopoly that requires them by law to deliver mail six days per week to everyone including far off rural areas where they lose money daily? I don't see UPS, Fed Ex, or any other private companies begging for that deal.

The post office, even with their legal monopoly on first class mail, manages to lose $16 billion a year. But hey! Let's give the boss a raise!

Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe "earned" $512,093, compared with $384,229 in 2011, according to regulatory filings.

Despite $15.9 billion loss, U.S. Postal Service execs see boost in pay - Washington Times

In 1971, the “Post Office Department” was turned into a quasi-governmental corporation, the US Postal Service, which has a federally mandated monopoly on regular mail delivery. The majority of the USPS board are presidential appointees. There are no government appropriations, and a ‘Postal Rate Commission’ that determines rates.

In the ‘70’s the USPS tried to close 12,000 underperforming or underutilized post offices, but politicians amended the Postal Reorganization Act to prohibit the closings. In ’77 the same thing happened when the USPS tried to suspend Saturday delivery. The result lost $2.8 billion in ’08 and expects to lose another $3 to $6 billion in 2009.Who will ultimately be responsible for paying these debts? The taxpayer.

Such is it when government masquerades as free market entities.
http://jcrw.us/system/files/ruth/pdf/Glen Beck Arguing with Idiots.pdf

You are talking about the monopoly that requires them by law to deliver mail six days per week to everyone including far off rural areas where they lose money daily? I don't see UPS, Fed Ex, or any other private companies begging for that deal.

Then you're in favor of ending the monopoly. Excellent.

You know what I do with my junk mail? I save it....when I get enough."postage paid" envelopes, I stuff as much of it as I can(ripped to shreds, of course) into those prepaid envelopes and mail it back to whoever is the unfortunate soul is on the envelope. I don't get a whole lot of junk mail these days.

I didn't used to have to save it up. I used to send one out about every other day....now it's about once/week. Guess getting garbage back and having to pay for the postage puts you on some kind of "do not mail" list.

I would have no problem opening it up to private companies. They would have to work under the same guidelines as the USPS though. First class mail could only be charged one rate, regardless of where it is being delivered.

I would have no problem opening it up to private companies. They would have to work under the same guidelines as the USPS though. First class mail could only be charged one rate, regardless of where it is being delivered.

Ah yes, more central planning to fix the problems cause by central planning. Works every time.

How about this...if you live in the middle of nowhere, don't expect the rest of Americans to supplement the cost of your mail delivery. Pay for it yourself or move. Your choice.

Any argument for a postal service requirement under the Constitution was long ago rendered irrelevant. Postal delivery should be replaced with a free market, especially given technological advancements, such as email. Amend the Constitution to abolish the post office and pay for your own damn mail.

Great. Just what i want....more junk mail. Killing trees and clogging up my "paper" recycling bin.

Forum List

Back