One thing that should not be cut from the Stimulus Plan: Food Stamps Increase

Did it ever occur to you that you didn't go to the doctor for those things BECAUSE your mother was a nurse? And I'm betting you did go to a dentist for a toothache, because an abscessed tooth is a serious thing and can cause death and your mother, being a nurse, would know that. Warning, sarcastic remark coming.....Unless of course, she just wanted to get rid of you.

BTW, I don't go to the doctor for a cold unless it lasts more than a week and comes with a fever, and I have health insurance.

Anybody who is working should be EARNING a living wage.

Do you really believe those bank CEOs, EARNED $18 million bonuses?

No, I didn't go to the doctor because my mother couldn't damn well afford it. And she was a nurse. As a nurse she didn't make enough to get me braces, or to take care of throat and ear infections.

And it was the same with my friends. My best friend had a throat abcess because she had a bad sore throat that wasn't treated...but people didn't just run to the doctor every time they felt a little "iffy" like we do today. As a baby I had a perforated ear drum. My brother lived with abcessed teeth for MONTHS before she took him into the dentist to have them treated. By the time he was treated he was sick, and the pressure from the abcess was so great it sprayed the dentist when he performed the root canal.

Without anasthesia, btw.

When we pay our own doctor bills, believe me, people go to the doctor much less frequently. And that's what EVERYONE used to do.

I'm 44...I just got braces. I've needed them for 35 years. But nobody in my family felt like the gubment should buy them for me.

And a "living" wage is paying rent and food for ONE person. And the quality of the housing and the food is neglible, as anyone who has actually worked for a living and kept their eye on the ball will tell you.

Congrats on your braces, I'm 53 and never had them in spite of a birth defect in my mouth which would require both surgery and braces to repair. When I had a tooth broken as a child, it was pulled rather than fixed, and yes, it was a permanent tooth.

Your mother was an idiot to put her child in such danger, most dentists, especially back then would have taken payments. I would think a nurse would know better. Heck, I'm not a nurse and I know better. If you really want to compare who was poorer as a child, the first time I had a dress that didn't belong to someone else first was when I was in 4th grade, my mom bought 3 dresses for $5. and one of them was ugly, but I had to wear it.

If we had a livable minimum wage, people would need the "gubment" to help them. Why do you believe we should be subsidizing businesses who don't pay their employees enough to live on, and that's what it amounts to when they don't get paid enough to survive.

Obviously, you survived. $5.00 ugly dress and all. I can't imagine your parents jumping up and down screaming about how things were unfair for them, and they should have more just because. People simply didn't expect something for nothing back then. How you managed to evolve into that is completely beyond me.

If you can get someone to pay you $18 million, you earned it. Simple as that.

I have to agree with that statement. The only reason the wealthy are getting paid for doing almost nothing is because the laborers aren't fighting it at all. Instead of going after those who pay them too little they are whining to the government to do more. If all the laborers who make our lives tolerable took a week off the country would fall into chaos, but instead of showing that they just whine about not being paid enough. Increasing wages doesn't help them or anyone else, but if they showed some more backbone and stood up to those who write their checks then they would have no choice but to take pay cuts so they could pay the laborers more.

That is a very good point Kitten. Although that really is already happened it is not as visable as some might want it to be.

Someone forgot to tell some of these people an eight ten dollar or fifteen dollar an hour employee is not going to give them much effort when they cannot pay their bills.

I have a few specialty skills which very few have. I do not give them away to supplement someone elses pocket book that already is stripping the system sitting on their ass. The same goes for anyone out there that works for a living. That ole saying "you get what you pay for" is fairly accurate. Pay for turds your just going to get turds in return.

I'll hit up McD's for a job push comes to shove before giving away to these people what I earned with blood, sweat and tears through my own efforts.

No, I didn't go to the doctor because my mother couldn't damn well afford it. And she was a nurse. As a nurse she didn't make enough to get me braces, or to take care of throat and ear infections.

And it was the same with my friends. My best friend had a throat abcess because she had a bad sore throat that wasn't treated...but people didn't just run to the doctor every time they felt a little "iffy" like we do today. As a baby I had a perforated ear drum. My brother lived with abcessed teeth for MONTHS before she took him into the dentist to have them treated. By the time he was treated he was sick, and the pressure from the abcess was so great it sprayed the dentist when he performed the root canal.

Without anasthesia, btw.

When we pay our own doctor bills, believe me, people go to the doctor much less frequently. And that's what EVERYONE used to do.

I'm 44...I just got braces. I've needed them for 35 years. But nobody in my family felt like the gubment should buy them for me.

And a "living" wage is paying rent and food for ONE person. And the quality of the housing and the food is neglible, as anyone who has actually worked for a living and kept their eye on the ball will tell you.

Congrats on your braces, I'm 53 and never had them in spite of a birth defect in my mouth which would require both surgery and braces to repair. When I had a tooth broken as a child, it was pulled rather than fixed, and yes, it was a permanent tooth.

Your mother was an idiot to put her child in such danger, most dentists, especially back then would have taken payments. I would think a nurse would know better. Heck, I'm not a nurse and I know better. If you really want to compare who was poorer as a child, the first time I had a dress that didn't belong to someone else first was when I was in 4th grade, my mom bought 3 dresses for $5. and one of them was ugly, but I had to wear it.

If we had a livable minimum wage, people would need the "gubment" to help them. Why do you believe we should be subsidizing businesses who don't pay their employees enough to live on, and that's what it amounts to when they don't get paid enough to survive.

Obviously, you survived. $5.00 ugly dress and all. I can't imagine your parents jumping up and down screaming about how things were unfair for them, and they should have more just because. People simply didn't expect something for nothing back then. How you managed to evolve into that is completely beyond me.

How is expecting a living wage for the lowest paid workers on our totem poll, expecting something for nothing? Seems to me the business people who don't want to pay a decent wage that want a whole lot for very little.

"Minimum wage is only for low level entry jobs" and only used by places like Burger King or McD's is nothing more than a lie fed to the masses to keep them thinking what a good deal they have.

When a minimum wage is set that is all the employer has to pay.

When a minimum wage is set to low every worker suffers the inability to pay their own way.

Every asshole out there that thinks their shit does not stink because they have a six figure job they worked so hard for as they were climbing over the masses to get to, should be automactically required to pay double for their homes, their buildings, their cars and their groceries. No make that triple.

Yup looking good for skilled labor, not!

Yup tell them welders they have no right to expect a wage they can feed their families on. Better yet tell them work foor this and don't expect any assistance when you can't feed your families.

Experienced Welders: MIG, TIG 1st and 2nd shifts. Pay rates beginning at $9.15 per hour. Walworth County
Machine Operators: Light and Medium duty $8.00 per hour and up. All shifts. Walworth County.

Foundry Workers: 1st and 2nd shifts, $10.00 per hour. Walworth County.

Metal Grinding: All shifts, $8.00 per hour and up. Walworth County.

Light Industrial: 10 hour shift. 2nd shift hours, $6.90 per hour and up. Rock County.

Are you interested in joining the team here at Co-Staff and having our professionals search for your next job? If so simply stop into our Delavan, Wisconsin office any weekday between the hours of 8:00am-4:30pm to fill out an application.

Wow, didn't realize those positions paid so little....

in massachusetts electricians and plumbers get paid $100 bucks an hour, and here in maine the going rate for electricians and plumbers is $49 bucks an hour....half of massachusetts rate.

I would say in construction they get paid from $10 bucks to $20 bucks an hour up here, with no benefits like insurance, but not 100% certain....

I agree with you that it is NOT just kids with these lowest paying jobs.

I had read that near 25% of them are being paid to Seniors, another 30% are to working women with children....

Women are by far the largest gender making minimum wage.....not men.

Anyone who thing even a single person can make a serious go of it making $16,000 a year obviously hasn't tried it.

"Minimum wage is only for low level entry jobs" and only used by places like Burger King or McD's is nothing more than a lie fed to the masses to keep them thinking what a good deal they have.

When a minimum wage is set to low every worker suffers the inability to pay their own way.

Every asshole out there that thinks their shit does not stink because they have a six figure job they worked so hard for as they were climbing over the masses to get to, should be automactically required to pay double for their homes, their buildings, their cars and their groceries. No make that triple.

Yup tell them welders they have no right to expect a wage they can feed their families on. Better yet tell them work foor this and don't expect any assistance when you can't feed your families.

Experienced Welders: MIG, TIG 1st and 2nd shifts. Pay rates beginning at $9.15 per hour. Walworth County
Machine Operators: Light and Medium duty $8.00 per hour and up. All shifts. Walworth County.

Light Industrial: 10 hour shift. 2nd shift hours, $6.90 per hour and up. Rock County.

Are you interested in joining the team here at Co-Staff and having our professionals search for your next job? If so simply stop into our Delavan, Wisconsin office any weekday between the hours of 8:00am-4:30pm to fill out an application.

in massachusetts electricians and plumbers get paid $100 bucks an hour, and here in maine the going rate for electricians and plumbers is $49 bucks an hour....half of massachusetts rate.

I would say in construction they get paid from $10 bucks to $20 bucks an hour up here, with no benefits like insurance, but not 100% certain....

I had read that near 25% of them are being paid to Seniors, another 30% are to working women with children....

Many people do not realize this is exactly whats is going on in many areas of the country Care.

It is really pretty simple. If a company is ran by all administrators there is no one to do the actual work. These guys that do not wish to lookout for the workers pay or insure these people have enough to eat and just saying go get another or higher education are not realizing by doing so they are destroying the very foundation of the building that they sit on in their office chairs in.

Women have come a long ways but yes they get the shaft more than likely out in the regular workforce as far as wage and pay grade goes.

Anyone who thing even a single person can make a serious go of it making $16,000 a year obviously hasn't tried it.

A Single person making 16k GROSS, (of course Fica taxes and state taxes and property taxes and sales taxes and gas taxes etc, ALSO COME OUT OF THIS GROSS), but a single person making 16k DOES NOT QUALIFY for ANY federal government or state government help for most all programs because the gvt has calculated the poverty level for the purpose of qualifying for benefits of any sort is $10k for the single person. A couple, the poverty line is $14k....

so even someone single working 40 hours a week at minimum wage, may not qualify for assistance....they are making $6k a year more than the poverty thresh hold for a single person?

How the HELL does our government come up with a poverty line or poverty thresh hold? What the hay?
=================================================

I see it differently than skull....If you can not afford to pay more than minimum for a worker that is sweeping your porch and sidewalks or store, then maybe you should not have an employee responsible ONLY for this, or should not hire them at all and add on these menial duties to those that are producing enough to support at the higher wages.

I know when i first began selling shoes on the sales floor when i was in high school, we were paid a commission, 8% of what we sold vs. minimum wage... if we did not sell enough to cover the minimum wage....(which would be considered being in the "red"), and if you did not sell enough at 8% of the sale, to cover your hourly wage for 3 pay periods, you could and more than likely would, be terminated for not producing.

When i first began in this industry, we had Stock boys, that ran all the new goods in to the "wall" in the back stock room, by color/heel height/brand so that us salesmen could concentrate on selling only....and bring in the BIG BUCKS! :)

Well, when the industry went through the recession in the late 80's, stock people were all cut, and sales people had to run the new stock in to "the wall" along with having to sell enough to cover their hourly rates...so, sales people HAD to pick up this extra duty...and then even more duties as time went on too....this happened country wide with near all shoe retailers....

Then, the industry started moving towards cutting the 'commission position', and paying the sales people a flat hourly rate equal to what they were averaging commissioning....like if a shoe sales man was consistently averaging $14 bucks an hour for hours worked with commission we decided to pay them the $14 an hour and eliminate the commission all together.... why would we do this?

Because shoe sales people get better with age....meaning the longer they work for you the more they produce....they get more repeat customers coming back to them, they become more familiar with where all of the different shoes are positioned in the stock room allowing them wait on more customers than one, because they are quicker at finding the shoes and size the customer wants to view, they become more familiar with how the shoe fits....all are slightly different even if 'sized' the same so they can adjust the sizes of the shoe brought out to the customer...like if it runs short, the customers asks for the 7M, the experienced sales man brings the 7M for the customer request but also brings out the 7 1/2 M because he/she knows the shoe will not fit the customer in the size she requested....

So much more too, that makes this salesperson more valuable than the newbie on the block that might only produce a salary that gives him $11 bucks an hour! :)

Anyway, it was "sold" to the commissioned employees as something good...they would have a consistent hourly wage each week and it would be easier for them to manage their monthly bills instead of their checks varying each week, where some weeks they averaged $12 bucks an hour with their commission and some weeks they were making $16 bucks an hour on average in their commission....

We, the employer came ahead, because we only had to review what they were averaging selling an hour, ONCE a year.... and usually these people improved their sales each quarter, as they got more experience and if on commission still, they would have made more than the $14 an hour... we were paying them off of the previous year's average sales.

And the employer also came ahead by not having a complicated commission vs their hourly rate, (whichever was higher) system for payroll each week...it simplified it, freeing up those doing payroll to do other things productive for the company.

Basically, what i am saying to skull, is that if the position is not worth paying $10 bucks an hour for, verses the $7 bucks an hour minimum wage, you can divide up his workload among others or you can INCREASE the worker's productivity by giving them more responsibility than sweeping your store...etc... in order to compensate for the higher pay...taking nothing from your own profit.

care

You're getting screwed then. I can hire an electician for $20 an hour. Plumbers? Well they're more in demand so that rate sounds about right.

I can hire suitable laborers for $8 an hour and they're happy to get it. Seriously qualified carpenters hereabouts make $12.50 an hour.

Not by a long shot, but still the myth is so comforting to those who are either clueless or choose to be clueless that it persists.

Sounds about right.

Yup.

Fully adult men can't get those jobs in many cases either.

Why not?

Because women are more compliant (and in many cases more qualified for p[ublic interactions type jobs) than men, plus they much less likely to quit just because they are underpaid.

There are, I suspect, far more men in the discouraged worker category than women.

More men expect to make a living wage than women so more men will stay out of work longer than most women.

Last edited:
Women on a whole were taught to be subservient. That is one of the reasons you will not see as many women standing up to abuse/neglect/inadequate pay etc...

Fact is those men are now finding themselves in those same positions women had faced for years as HR recruiters are more than likely women now days.

I paid my bookeeper $8.00 an hour in 1988. I can still hire a bookeeper for $8.00 an hour guys. That in itself should speak volumes to these people slinging crap that is the same ole same ole bs people have been hearing for years now as the countries working people have been getting the shaft.

Forum List

Back