One space or two after a period?

Idk...looks like I might have lost on the technicality that the "new" rule is one space.

She says the school systems are looking for one space now. I suppose that takes precedence.

Hey, either way I still get some :D

It depends on what style guide you're using. Chicago Manual of Style is the one most widely used and what schools are trying to move to, as I understand it, and that one says one space.

It has to be two, it's uncivilised to only have one. But I'm not surprised at the agitation for one. Everyone's in such a damn hurry these days. Two taps on the space bar, what's the big deal? It gives time to pause for thought as well. One tap and you're into the next sentence and probably not even giving consideration to paragraph structure. No, it has to be two.

It depends on what style guide you're using. Chicago Manual of Style is the one most widely used and what schools are trying to move to, as I understand it, and that one says one space.

I'm not sure I want to break it down with her and get that technical about it, there's going to be a certain mood in the air that I'd rather not potentially kill debating academics :lol:

I'll cut my losses and reap whatever rewards still lie ahead.

It has to be two, it's uncivilised to only have one. But I'm not surprised at the agitation for one. Everyone's in such a damn hurry these days. Two taps on the space bar, what's the big deal? It gives time to pause for thought as well. One tap and you're into the next sentence and probably not even giving consideration to paragraph structure. No, it has to be two.

In the interest of the green movement, maybe we SHOULD save paper space and go with one.

She's still in class. She gets home around 10. But I probably SHOULD go get the rugrats in bed though.

I've always used two, but it has recently been brought to my attention that there's only supposed to be one. Someone should bring that to the attention of my grade school English teacher, then.

I was taught one after commas, two after periods.

Now I'm confused. Regardless, I like two. I think it makes sentences more readable.

Apparently the two-space rule was a typing convention.

Probably like yourself, when I migrated from typing to the computer, I brought my ever so clever fingers with me. Those poor bastards had a dickens of a time relearning the new single-space convention.

Rebel that I am, I often still double-space after periods just because I feel like flaunting convention.

The "rules" of writing are somewhat arbitrary, anyway.

We have various "manuals of style". The Chicago Manual of Style is a good example. But the only real rule of writing is to do so in a way that conveys meaning to your audience.

One day, I plan to write my own idosyncratic manuel of style specifically for the internet.

Giving that we have the luxury of writing in an html environment, where we can hyperlink, publishing conventions of the past need rethinking.

Let me propose the following:

Using emoticons should be pushishable by death.

I know we all like them, but they are cute exactly once.

If you must augment your thoughts with images, sail out into the great sea of information and fish one -- preferable a great one -- out.

6969.jpg

Bon voyage​

Last edited:

I'm not sure I want to break it down with her and get that technical about it, there's going to be a certain mood in the air that I'd rather not potentially kill debating academics :lol:

I'll cut my losses and reap whatever rewards still lie ahead.

Lol. Sorry. I used to be an editor. I forget that people may not find intense discussion of grammar minutia to the be most fascinating thing ever. Maybe even a moodkill. :tongue:

I've always used two, but it has recently been brought to my attention that there's only supposed to be one. Someone should bring that to the attention of my grade school English teacher, then.

I was taught one after commas, two after periods.

Now I'm confused. Regardless, I like two. I think it makes sentences more readable.

The rule has changed. It used to be two. When I started in the newspaper business we still used two. With the advent of computers and the internet, it changed to one.

Forum List

Back