One space or two after a period?

Paulie

Diamond Member
May 19, 2007
I've always used two, but it has recently been brought to my attention that there's only supposed to be one. Someone should bring that to the attention of my grade school English teacher, then.

I was taught one after commas, two after periods.

Now I'm confused. Regardless, I like two. I think it makes sentences more readable.

The rule used to be two. Now either is acceptable.

I prefer two myself. But I'm old school like that.

And I'd wager a rep that it was Ravi that brought this to your attention.

No it was actually the girlfriend. She just had me type up a paper for her because she's in a jam making her friend's wedding cake, and she asked me to use one space.

After every single period I double spaced, I couldn't train myself to stop.

Anyway though, we bet sexual favors for later tonight on who was right. I hope the "either-or" rule doesn't disqualify me :lol:

Paulie, you're right. Two after a period, one after a comma. Unless by reducing the space after a period to one, it somehow reduces global warming or something. :rolleyes:

That's retarded. :rolleyes:

Why change a good thing? Nonetheless, I'll be using two still.

And a prop under my chin.

I never hear of that rule. But then, I never learned to type.

I think I like two spaces better also.

I've always used two, but it has recently been brought to my attention that there's only supposed to be one. Someone should bring that to the attention of my grade school English teacher, then.

Now I'm confused. Regardless, I like two. I think it makes sentences more readable.

The two space rule was created back when type communication was very primitive, I remember being taught in typing class it was two. The reason was to make the separation of sentences easier to spot from abbreviations and other uses for the period. However we have all become so use to type and print communications now that it's obsolete really, though some people still do it (preference or habit) it's not strictly followed now.

That's retarded. :rolleyes:

Why change a good thing? Nonetheless, I'll be using two still.

And a prop under my chin.

Have you tried the Venus Butterfly technique?

Heh, alright, never knew there was a specific name for it.

But yeah, of course I've done it. I got a couple tips from my reading though that I'll put to use :D

Depends on the medium. Business letters and books - two. On-line or newsprint - one.

Speaking of periods, can't his GF quickly think of an innovative way to get out of their bargain? :eusa_eh:

Yeah, like I don't know when her cycle comes. :rolleyes:

We're much too far into the relationship for her to be able to trick me on that.

Forum List

Back