Army Wants Women On Front Lines
The Herald
October 24, 2004

The U.S. Army is trying to overturn a ban on using women soldiers in forward
support units in war zones to ease its growing manpower crisis in Iraq and
Afghanistan.

While females still would be barred from combat formations likely to experience
direct contact with an enemy, planners want to deploy them alongside fighting
brigades as drivers and logisticians to free up scarce male forces.

A shortage of trained American infantry in Iraq prompted the request for the Black
Watch to be sent north to Iskandariya to free up American marines for the assault
on Falluja.

Although women serve as jet, transport, and helicopter pilots, they are excluded
from ground combat. There are about 200,000 females in the U.S. Army - about
17% of its total strength.

About 8% of the 102,000 soldiers in the British Army are female, a proportion
which has grown since roles available to them were expanded in 1998. Women
represent 9.5% of officers and 6.8% of other ranks.

UK servicewomen are also excluded from direct combat and submarine service.
British governments have resisted changing the policy because they feared the
political impact of large-scale female casualties.

A Pentagon spokesman said yesterday: "The policy introduced in the U.S. in 1994
which prevented the deployment of women soldiers close to the front line no
longer has a basis in reality. There are no clearly-defined front lines any more.

"A high proportion of the 250 or so supply convoys which criss- cross Iraq's roads
every day come under attack. Many of the vehicles have females in their crews.
Bases supposedly behind the lines also come under regular mortar and rocket
attack.

He added: "It makes no sense to have to use male soldiers for tasks which could
be done easily by their female counterparts when we are short of troops trained
to close with and destroy the enemy."

The U.S. Army's high command hopes to be able to persuade Congress to lift
restrictions in time for the deployment of the 3rd Infantry Division to Iraq next
year.

I think it's a bad idea. Seeing women on a battlefield has a negative affect on a guy's psychology. They'll give them preferential treatment and might try to save them when they're beyond help. They might be able to reprogram that in boot camp, but I doubt it. The only solution is to get rid of one of the two genders on the front lines, and that would be the girls. Sorry ladies, but it's a biological fact that, due to millenia of natural selection, guys are built for combat.

Hobbit said:
I think it's a bad idea. Seeing women on a battlefield has a negative affect on a guy's psychology. They'll give them preferential treatment and might try to save them when they're beyond help. They might be able to reprogram that in boot camp, but I doubt it. The only solution is to get rid of one of the two genders on the front lines, and that would be the girls. Sorry ladies, but it's a biological fact that, due to millenia of natural selection, guys are built for combat.
So we put em all in tanks!!!

If anyone here remembers Desert Storm then they will understand this post. The women on some ships in the Navy got pregnant so they didn't have to go into a war zone.

Women are not a reliable force on the front, since some (not all) of female soldiers will choose to "accidentally" get pregnant.

I should state that I am female so I don't get jumped on by other women in this post. I wouldn't want to be on the front line and I wouldn't want it for my daughter. Men get captured and put in jail, women get raped.

Hobbit said:

Trust me - You *want* women on the front line...every 28 days. :D

Shattered said:
Trust me - You *want* women on the front line...every 28 days. :D

No, because there comes a time when a surrender or peace treaty is necessary, and if you've got some of those women on the front lines, they will neither offer nor accept either of these things. They will keep fighting until everyone on one side is dead.

Hobbit said:
No, because there comes a time when a surrender or peace treaty is necessary, and if you've got some of those women on the front lines, they will neither offer nor accept either of these things. They will keep fighting until everyone on one side is dead.

In which case, it never becomes a problem again. :p

Yea I agree insien, there isn't a gruge against women we just can't afford to depend on something thats ify such as if women feel well that day pregnancy. Although I think theres definenatly other places they could be used like tanks, subs, and pilot's. I as a future soldier don't want to be teamed with a female. Sounds mean but its the truth with any male soldier. GI Jane is a fictional story don't get caught up in the drama.

The only way female tank and sub crews would work is if the ENTIRE staff was female. The cramped quarters are too likely to create sexual tension otherwise.

However, if you could pull this off, I think it would work well, and we already have female pilots. Studies show that while they're not as tenacious in pursuing a single target, they can simultaneously track multiple targets. No better or worse, really, just different.

Trigg said:
If anyone here remembers Desert Storm then they will understand this post. The women on some ships in the Navy got pregnant so they didn't have to go into a war zone.

Women are not a reliable force on the front, since some (not all) of female soldiers will choose to "accidentally" get pregnant.

I should state that I am female so I don't get jumped on by other women in this post. I wouldn't want to be on the front line and I wouldn't want it for my daughter. Men get captured and put in jail, women get raped.

hell, on my ship, girls get pregnant just to avoid a regular deployment, let alone a war.

sex underway is rampant.

rape hasn't happened, but its happened a lot over in iraq.

Forum List

Back