One simple statistic

onecut39

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2008
One number says it all, 100,000

That is the number of Americans who, year after year, every year, end up with bullet holes in their bodies. About thirty thousand die. The rest suffer injuries from the trivial to the life changing.

Assault rifles, while spectacular, are a negligible part of the problem. They are the phallus symbol for the adult child.

Hand guns are the problem.

What would I do?

I don’t usually think much about guns. I suppose it is because I live in an area where gun deaths are not an everyday occurrence, although even here the city looms near and such reports are becoming more common.

First the disclaimer. Personally I could care less about guns. I grew up in a small rural town where guns were so common the high school kids would bring them to school in the morning and leave them in the coatroom to go hunting after school. I suppose it would be honest to say that in the five years I was there two high school kids got shot in hunting accidents. Neither fatal.

Right now I own a handgun. Haven’t used it in over a decade and and have no plans for ever using it. I am not a gun expert, neither am I a gun fanatic and I don’t see any way in the world we can stop the kind of thing that has happened so often with our mass killings so long as our present culture exists. That means change, if any, will be long term and that change would have to be primarily cultural.

But in the meantime things have gotten a bit out of hand and serious people will try to mitigate our problem as best we can. Arguing about “gun rights” has as much effect as spitting in the ocean. If we are honest I think we must say that there will not be a gun ban in the foreseeable future. Maybe we should start talking about gun responsibility.

Cars are far more useful than guns but they are the only thing in the ballpark that can compete with the deaths racked up by guns. Maybe we could treat guns more like cars. If we already do some of this stuff then forgive me. I have not researched this it is simply off the top of my head.

We license cars and we should also license guns in a manner similar to car registrations. Like cars, these registrations should be renewed every year with an appropriate license fee. If a gun is sold, or stolen, or given away, or lost that should be recorded in the same way as car registrations and it should be done very quickly. Failure to do so would result in a very very severe penalty to the last registered owner.

We license drivers. We should license gun owners, all gun owners. We require that drivers are competent to drive. We should make sure gun owners are competent to use their weapon. We require tests every few years to make sure drivers retain their competence. We should do the same with gun owners. This should require not only a competence test but some kind of psychological evaluation. I have no idea what that would entail but then I am not a psychologist.

Car owners are required to have insurance. So should gun owners. Most of our gun accidents are just that, accidents. Since there are so many it only seems reasonable that owners guarantee some degree of financial responsibility should they screw up. As with automobiles if one screws up too often insurance would become prohibitive. Anyone causing an accident without insurance and any gun owner found not to have insurance would be very severely punished.

I would eliminate the so called “gun shows” thereby getting rid of all the loopholes, both legal and illegal that they produce.

I can’t see a lot wrong with semi automatics other than they can be modified fairly easily and inexpensively to become automatic or to come very, very close to an automatic. These modifications are out there and some are still not banned by the Fed. They should be.

Clips are another matter. In any of our massacres it was important that the gun be reloaded very quickly. If the weapon had to be reloaded with anything other than a quick replace preloaded clip much less damage would be done. The capacity of the clip is also a factor. How thirty round clips are allowed anywhere but the military is beyond me.. I would ban large capacity clips.

One can say, with reason, that a pocketful of eight round clips is little different. True enough but it is somewhat different. It slows things down a bit but I feel that every little bit helps. Handguns with large capacity clips are really hard to justify. I can’t begin to make an argument for them.

We should also keep a closer watch on our manufacturers and on the gun imports..

It has also been a long time since I have hunted but in my day the number of shells in the gun were limited. If I remember correctly it was three for ducks and five for bigger game. Were it strictly up to me I would get away from the clips altogether and load the shells manually like the lever action Winchester.

I don’t think any of these things would cause any thing but mild discomfort to the gun owner, any gun owner.

Arguments for and against guns are very different in rural and urban areas and these attitudes are as real as they are hard to address.

Having said all this can I say with any certainty they will make one bit of difference in mass killings? No, I can’t. These are usually by disturbed folks and often they appear normal. How about street killing and accident’s? Here is more of a probable thing with the honest answer being” it can’t hurt”. Until we can get a handle on all those guns now fooating free in the country it will be difficult to make a major difference., That doesn’t mean we should not try.

As I mentioned at the start of this most of our problems are cultural. We grow up with a certain mindset and too often that mindset is dominated by macho gun ideology. Big man, big gun kind of crap. It may be silly but you can see it on this board. Many seem to have a military fetish with visions of grandeur of themselves saving the republic in daring

Defective people are the problem....Criminals either steal their guns or buy them on the black market, which none of your moronic and completely worthless "solutions" will address.

But thanks for the standard leftloon gun grabber boilerplate rant anyways. :thup:

Defective people are the problem....Criminals either steal their guns or buy them on the black market, which none of your moronic and completely worthless "solutions" will address.

But thanks for the standard leftloon gun grabber boilerplate rant anyways. :thup:

And yours will?

How has pretty much every other first world nation managed to rid themselves of "defective people"?

How has pretty much every other first world nation managed to rid themselves of "defective people"?
You mean like in Norway, or Georgia, or England where hot burglaries are at an all-time high, or all across the Middle East?

Oh, wait...:rolleyes:

How about a 500 word limit on posts? If you can't condense your thoughts within that limit, you aren't thinking.

Of course controls will reduce the number of black market guns in the hands of criminals, putting the owner who allowed his/her weapon to fall into the wrong hands in prison would make more gun owners responsible.

The deaths of 20-first graders has no effect on many gun owners, putting one in prison for 20 years for providing a gun used to kill another would make many of them responsible. Keep in mind the contemporary conservative is primarily concerned with him/herself.

They deport them here, did you forget the van, the hood, the long nap, and waking up in a different place?

What's the break down of that statistic?

How many of those shot were shot by criminals?

How many are gang related?

How many are mentally ill people acting out their crazed fantasies?

How many are the result of domestic violence?

How many are law abiding gun owners killing people just for fun?

How many are law abiding gun owners defending themselves??

Of course controls will reduce the number of black market guns in the hands of criminals, putting the owner who allowed his/her weapon to fall into the wrong hands in prison would make more gun owners responsible.

The deaths of 20-first graders has no effect on many gun owners, putting one in prison for 20 years for providing a gun used to kill another would make many of them responsible. Keep in mind the contemporary conservative is primarily concerned with him/herself.

Another idiot that wants to punish crime victims. that will definitely solve the problem of innocent people dying on the streets, they will all be in prison and the criminals can kill each other off on the outside.

The OP fails for the simple fact that driving is a privilege, gun ownership is a right.

The idea of having to take a test to own a gun is like saying you should have to take a literacy test to vote, and it reeks a lot like a Daily Kos article: Firearms should be regulated like cars.

Everyone has a piece of the Constitution they want to tear off. Let's bring back literacy tests and poll taxes while we are at it.

Last edited:

why is it that when one presents an idea...in this case a possible solution.....one must be blasted, ridiculed and insulkted by those that disagree?

I disagree with his idea...I dont think it will solve anything....but I also think it is well thought out, well presented, and very possibly the idea that will satisfy the lefts need for a solution that involves guns, but does not infirnge on ones right to own a gun.

It may not solve the issue......for it does nothing about mental health.....but it may shut up the left.

I give liberals SOME credit. They know that if they disarm law abiding citizens only the criminals will have guns. They will buy guns the way they buy drugs. Legalize drugs and the criminals will immediately fill in whatever revenue they lose by pedalling arms. The way they do in gun controlled mexico.

The only conclusion is that liberals intend that criminals be well armed with a defenseless population as victims. It might be because the majority of gangs, and the majority of criminals are non white. From Chicago to Oakland, if it was not for non-white gangs, those cities would have the murder rate of Belgium.

The one simple statistic in Oakland is that 90% of gun violence is because of a gang war where the participants don't much pay attention to the laws. Pass all the laws you want. They have no intention of obeying them.
Oakland Officials Blame Woman?s Murder For Setting Off Violent Crime War « CBS San Francisco

You mean like in Norway, or Georgia, or England where hot burglaries are at an all-time high, or all across the Middle East?

Oh, wait...:rolleyes:

No I mean every other 1st world country that you conveniently ignored.

The OP fails for the simple fact that driving is a privilege, gun ownership is a right.

The idea of having to take a test to own a gun is like saying you should have to take a literacy test to vote, and it reeks a lot like a Daily Kos article: Firearms should be regulated like cars

How can you vote if you can't read the ballot?

Whether you qualified to vote was determined by those in power who had a racist agenda. White people did not have to take the literacy tests. Only blacks and immigrants.

A firearm competency test would be just as capricious, dependent on the whims of the bureaucrats appointed through the patronage system. You don't think some black people would fail the test while whites always somehow managed to pass in certain parts of this country?

Inalienable means inalienable.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back