One reason for Van Halen's success

I think the reason they were successful was Eddie Van Halen's guitar playing. Nobody had perfected the fret-hammering technique before he did.

Check out Frank Zappa on the Mike Douglas show circa 1975. Eddie was battling teenage zits while Zappa was tapping "Black Napkins" on national tv

I never got Zappa and the MOI, but in retrospective, he was way ahead of his time. I believe his political views were also somewhat libertarian.

I cannot stand Zappa. He was a musical genius, but fuck him.

Do you know what's better than a Floyd Rose lock?

no......

O my, a Kahler 1 ..and 2..derp!

Kahler's are a tremelo bridge system aka-whammy bar, not to be confused with a locking system ,or which FR is one make/model

Stew Mac's top luthier might be worth a gander>

~S~

Go Fuck Yourself. Kahler 1> Anything Floyd Rose, boy.

You ever had an '87 Jackson Strat 24-fret with a Kahler 1? No?

I bet you can't play shit.

PS: That action was the sweetest! I put EMG active humbuckers on it, too.

Kahler and Floyd Rose tremolos were "new-fangled" back in my day. I was partial to the two-point fulcrum tremolos on the Fender American Standard Strats. The 6-screw tremolo tailpieces on the older Stratocasters were a bitch to set up and keep in tune, I don't know how Hendrix managed to do that with the old-style Fender 6-screw tremolo, especially when they're set up to float so you can use the tremolo bar to go sharp or flat.

Van Halen was probably using a .009 or .010 high E too, that lets you play riffs alot faster. I always favored a .0.11 high E, which gives a fatter tone. But then, I'm no Eddie Van Halen, I was more of a "Hendrix wanna-be" :biggrin:

The strings they used back in the 60's were like fat steel cables more than anything else.

Hah! My friend's grandpa has this old Les Paul and he plays flatwound strings. His high "e" is probably a 12 or 13.

He doesn't bend at all, but he slides a lot.

He's played with Atkins, he's sho' 'nuff good. People are amazing.

I never saw flatwound strings b4 my friend's grandpa.

The strings they used back in the 60's were like fat steel cables more than anything else.

What we would do is get a set of Black Diamond strings and move them down a string. Use the e for a b, the b for a g, and so on.

True. Once you got rid of that pesky wound G string, you were rockin'.

Wound G-string? :1peleas::cuckoo:

I know it sounds crazy but back in the 50's, all they had were wound G strings..

es300-5.jpg

100_2883a.jpg

What we would do is get a set of Black Diamond strings and move them down a string. Use the e for a b, the b for a g, and so on.

I know it sounds crazy but back in the 50's, all they had were wound G strings..

es300-5.jpg

100_2883a.jpg

And the stock string size on new guitars was 12s.

es300-5.jpg

100_2883a.jpg

And the stock string size on new guitars was 12s.

Yeah, I suppose I've exposed myself as being younger now. :tomato:

EVH is a great musician. The second best musician in VH was the bass player/backing vocalist Micheal Anthony believe it or not. The drummer sucks and the lead singer was obviously replaceable multiple times.

no offense but that's kind of an ignorant statement
Alex Van Halen is one of the best drummers in rock. Most drummers I've met won't even attempt to imitate him.
Roth was a great singer.

Michael Anthony didn't play on the records, Eddie played bass and showed him the parts.
Anthony's contribution was backing vocals

Eddie Van Halen used alot of different guitars, but he favored Kramers..

Edward Van Halen's Guitars

i'm pretty sure the only reason he played Kramer was due to endorsements.

the guitar he seemed to favor, at least in the early years, was an Ibanez Destroyer.
for trem bar stuff he used his frankenstrat which was parts of a Carvel

It's "Charvel". Jackson/Charvel.

I had one, the guitar was damn sure better than I was. I bet the guy I sold it to still has it.

Carvel is an ice cream shop.

legend says, before locking nuts, Eddie tightened the strings by keeping them perfectly straight, Randy Rhodes asked him how he was keeping his guitars in tune and Eddie wouldn't tell him

Forum List

Back