One of the Biggest Swindles in History

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
This is a great story with some very interesting links explaining the way we got to where we are.

Let’s Start Calling Public Schools What They Are:

I especially liked this question:

What would we think of a company that produced a product everyone needs, but 95 percent of that product rolled off the assembly line substandard?

Could such a company stay in business? :rolleyes:

So, if this is the case, why are they still the way they are? Teachers unions? School administrators deep into keeping their own little kingdoms going?

Read more @ Why Public Schools Are Swindles PJ Media

I found the link to the history of the Common School Movement quite informative.

This is one of those topics that bother me.

Education is not a one-way street. It requires that the student put forth effort to accomplish something. And yet, when the students do the bare minimum we blame the teachers.

In virtually every school there are examples of students who took responsibility for their education and accomplished much.

Look at all the money that goes into the medical field - and yet 100% of people still die. Talk about an outrage!

Education is not a one-way street. It requires that the student put forth effort to accomplish something. And yet, when the students do the bare minimum we blame the teachers.

In virtually every school there are examples of students who took responsibility for their education and accomplished much.

Than maybe they should hand the job off to those who are more qualified.
Because their brand of education isn't working.

As long as the students aren't interested and not putting forth the effort, will any brand work?

As long as the students aren't interested and not putting forth the effort, will any brand work?

It did in the past. Sixty years of liberal policies sure doesn't seem to be working.

It did in the past. Sixty years of liberal policies sure doesn't seem to be working.

I have no doubt that liberal policies have had some effect.

But the lack of responsibility from the student & parents is probably the greater issue.

When I was a student in the 60's & 70's, if I got bad grades my parents held me responsible.
Now the parents hold the teachers responsible. Why?

I have no doubt that liberal policies have had some effect.

But the lack of responsibility from the student & parents is probably the greater issue.

When I was a student in the 60's & 70's, if I got bad grades my parents held me responsible.
Now the parents hold the teachers responsible. Why?

Because your parents weren't brought up in the liberal explosion of the 60's and 70's.
All of this countries problems lead back to liberal policies.
No more corporal punishment in schools or at home has led to a whole generation of mouthy punks with discipline problems.
In fact it's become quite common for kids to threaten to call CPS when confronted with an ass whipping.
You or I would have never considered something like that growing up because we both know damn well how it would have played out.

I think the biggest problem, by far, is the ridiculous emphasis on subjects leading to a college/university goal.

I can hear all of you scream that individuals with college degree make more than tradespeople. But, not all young people are adapted to scholastic goals.

My high school had a vocational program that students begged to get into. We learned everything possible and the vast majority of us graduated with good grades - I cannot remember a single member of my class in the vocational program who did not get a diploma.

When I returned for the 15th I think, every one of my fellow students either had good jobs as supervisors or owned their own businesses.

The vocational schools here in Southern Nevada have a 90% plus graduation rate with an equal job search success.

Some kids and parents don't give a shit. MANY students (at least at my school) show up for one or more of 3 reasons:

1) To sell drugs
2) To get free meals
3) To socialize

It may not be very PC to say, but I'm all for cutting out the rotten apples out of the orchard. At first that sounds mean/cruel...but honestly those kids hinder the ones who try hard and actually care.

The public schools would do a much better job if those who are there only because they are forced to be were allowed to leave.

I would agree but than you have a bunch of idiots running around with no education and will end up being a drain on society.
I would favor putting them in Trade school though.
I knew many a kid who wasnt cut out for school but would have jumped at the chance to learn auto mechanics,welding,machining or any number of blue collar jobs.
Instead our school system keeps em around to their determinate and to the determinate of college bound students.

The public schools would do a much better job if those who are there only because they are forced to be were allowed to leave.

I would agree but than you have a bunch of idiots running around with no education and will end up being a drain on society.
I would favor putting them in Trade school though.
I knew many a kid who wasnt cut out for school but would have jumped at the chance to learn auto mechanics,welding,machining or any number of blue collar jobs.
Instead our school system keeps em around to their determinate and to the determinate of college bound students.

Did you mean "detriment"?

Forum List

Back