"One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old." Christian homeschooling problems

Barely Literate How Christian Fundamentalist Homeschooling Hurts Kids Alternet

“I’ll admit it,” she confesses. “Because I was so overwhelmed with my life… It was a real struggle to do the basics, so it didn’t take long for my kids to fall far behind. One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old.”

Maybe it's a stupid question, but why their church allow the children to be illiterate so long? They are christian! They are MUST be able to read the bible!
Many Christians have never read the Bible. They feel it's their pastor's job to tell them what it says.
True enough. They're wrong.

“I’ll admit it,” she confesses. “Because I was so overwhelmed with my life… It was a real struggle to do the basics, so it didn’t take long for my kids to fall far behind. One of my daughters could not read at 11 years old.”

Maybe it's a stupid question, but why their church allow the children to be illiterate so long? They are christian! They are MUST be able to read the bible!
Many Christians have never read the Bible. They feel it's their pastor's job to tell them what it says.

How it was originally when mass was done in Latin no one in the audience understood.

How it was originally when mass was done in Latin no one in the audience understood.
They did that on purpose, because the Word clearly contradicted much of their teachings.

Most students I've know to be homeschooled do very well. In my state homeschooling is regulated. Kids have to take state tests regularly to insure adequate progress. Some parents homeschool their children through elementary grades and put their kids in schools once they get to high school. Not all parents have the time or qualifications to homeschool their kids, it it's a great option for families in which the parents are qualified.

Lesson Stylus

Alternative types of teaching encourage people to think about how kids learn and how they want to learn.

For example, if your homeschooling session included creative sculpting with clay, your young students will think more creatively about hands-on learning.

As long as there is active community discussion about homeschooling activities, people will not become myopic.

There's no reason that Christian homeschooling can not include instructional lessons on the use of socially symbolic tech-gadgets such as iPads.

:afro:

www.apple.com

Forum List

Back