One of Life's Lessons.

I'm very sorry to hear this.

A couple months ago my 34 year old brother died unexpectedly. He'd had trouble breathing for about a month (the doctor said he must have exercise induced asthma.. he was a marathon runner..).. the inhaler didn't work.. so the doctor gave him antibiotics.. that didn't help.

Turned out he had blood clots in his lungs (from frequent flying). My brother had the world in the palm of his hands.. ate very little red meat, drank a little beer, exercised regularly.. and had the knowledge that our mother died (49 years old) from the same thing..

Life's a crap shoot.. here I sit, only 2 years younger, but I eat like a hog, weigh almost 300lbs, am doing nothing with my life.. and I'm still kicking (for now, I doubt I'll make it to 40, honestly).

I hope your brother gets a speedy recovery!

All this hype about eating right and getting plenty of exercise! Sounds good donut? Well my brother did all that stuff, no smoking, healthy diet, healthy weight and bike riding was his passion. He could ride a hundred miles a day in the hills of California and not even break a sweat. He told me, the couch potato; that he was gonna live to be a hundred. Two weeks ago he said he went down to wash the windshied and side windows of his car and had to sit down because he felt so tired and out of breath. Yesterday they did open heart surgery and the doctor said he had to do five bypasses. I didn't even know they could do five bypasses.. He's in a hospital in Montery Ca.

Bypass surgery is miracle surgery and saved more than a few lives of otherwise healthy people. Even though your brother has a history of clean living, cholesterol can still build up in the arteries as a result of high blood pressure, which most people don't even know they have until something like this happens. It must be frustrating, but I'm sure he'll be okay.

All this hype about eating right and getting plenty of exercise! Sounds good donut? Well my brother did all that stuff, no smoking, healthy diet, healthy weight and bike riding was his passion. He could ride a hundred miles a day in the hills of California and not even break a sweat. He told me, the couch potato; that he was gonna live to be a hundred. Two weeks ago he said he went down to wash the windshied and side windows of his car and had to sit down because he felt so tired and out of breath. Yesterday they did open heart surgery and the doctor said he had to do five bypasses. I didn't even know they could do five bypasses.. He's in a hospital in Montery Ca.

Bypass surgery is miracle surgery and saved more than a few lives of otherwise healthy people. Even though your brother has a history of clean living, cholesterol can still build up in the arteries as a result of high blood pressure, which most people don't even know they have until something like this happens. It must be frustrating, but I'm sure he'll be okay.

That's the thing Maggie. Being a well honed athlete he has a low BP and a resting heart rate of about 44.

Hugs

I hope he recovers quickly. :eusa_pray:

If you live in the uS it's nearly impossible to have a healthy diet unless you have $$$ and go organic on everything.
Your water and tooth paste is also deadly as are most medications, cleaning products and many other things..

That is not really true. While I will agree that affording organic foods isn't attainable for most, the bigger problem, at least as I see it, is with all the processed foods. If people would just get back to buying fresh or frozen veggies, and real meat, then they would improve their diets considerably. What it means is that people need to take a few extra minutes per day to actually cook a meal. And you what? It really doesn't take that long. I do it everyday. I can't remember the last time we ate a frozen meal. I make my own soup most of the time too. It can be done, and it actually costs less.

Genetics and lifestyle (and dumb fate) decide the final outcome of our lives.

But just in case we might want to forget it, we will ALL (if we're lucky enough) grow old, and feeble and die of something.

Perhaps a healthy lifestyle will also extend the length of your life, but that isn't quite so certain as it is that it will improve the quality of your life while you're lucky enough not to be dead.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLKk00OYKhU&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - Jesus Will Survive - Jesus Christ! The Musical[/ame]

That's the thing Maggie. Being a well honed athlete he has a low BP and a resting heart rate of about 44.

I think we'll all be interested in the diagnosis, then.

Very sorry. Hope he' ok.

• Thanks
Reactions: Cal

My prayers are with your brother and family.

There's a word for that Willow..... It's called FATE.

Up until about 18 months ago I was a couch potato as well. I'm between 5'-5" and 5'-6" tall and I weighed 210 lbs, I finally got off my fat ass and into a gym. I started working out, eating better, and it's made a huge improvement in my life. It has helped my heart rate, blood pressure, etc... However it does not mean that I might not drop dead of a heart attack at age 40. It does reduce the likelihood of it happening, but it doesn't eliminate it. That's why I'm not one of those militant gym types who thinks that what I do is what everyone else should be doing.

My suggestion is that your brother has suffered from a massive case of Hubrus. I do hope he's doing well and that everything works out for the best. I also suggest that you give him a good solid.... STFU the next time he comments on your lifestyle.

What is 'Hubrus'?

There's a word for that Willow..... It's called FATE.

Up until about 18 months ago I was a couch potato as well. I'm between 5'-5" and 5'-6" tall and I weighed 210 lbs, I finally got off my fat ass and into a gym. I started working out, eating better, and it's made a huge improvement in my life. It has helped my heart rate, blood pressure, etc... However it does not mean that I might not drop dead of a heart attack at age 40. It does reduce the likelihood of it happening, but it doesn't eliminate it. That's why I'm not one of those militant gym types who thinks that what I do is what everyone else should be doing.

My suggestion is that your brother has suffered from a massive case of Hubrus. I do hope he's doing well and that everything works out for the best. I also suggest that you give him a good solid.... STFU the next time he comments on your lifestyle.

What is 'Hubrus'?

Hummus gone bad.

Just think how much worse it may have been if your brother hadn't taken as good care of himself as he did.

Hope he makes a full recovery, WT.

Exactly. I was thinking the same. My nephew had a rare brain tumor, encapsulated by a rare cyst. If he hadn't been so athletic and so young, 24 at the time, he'd probably never have survived the surgery. Knowing that he thankfully used rehab to build himself up again, he had second neurosurgery 18 months later, then 3 months of radiation.

He's not out of the woods by any measure, but he got married 4 weeks after the first surgery. He had a son, a year ago yesterday. We went to first birthday party today.

Much of the success ratio under dire circumstances has to do with the general health of the person.

I pray that your brother makes a full recovery.

WillowTree, I am so sorry to hear this and I hope your brother recovers well. It is a tribute to him that he was living a healthful lifestyle, and at least can say he was trying. No guilt or regrets in that department. One thing I wish everybody would do is get an annual physical. That can show early or immediate signs of many problems. Blessings to all, sweetie.

He came home Tuesday afternoon. He's still hugging his little red heart pillow cause his chest hurts when he coughs, he has like a 12 inch incision right down his sternum. The doctors say he will recover and will be back riding his bike in a few months. :eusa_angel:

:clap2:

Willow

I hope your brother is back on his bike soon

Make sure you get yourself checked

Last edited:

Forum List

Back