One of every five men 25 to 54 isn't working.

" a wage that is socially acceptable"
IOW, people do not want to work.
A wage is determined by the market, supply and demand.
Americans are becoming fat and lazy and uneducated. Foreigners come with a range of talents from no skills to advanced engineering degrees. How is it that these foreigners come and get jobs?
Work ethic.

Damn straight! Unions and their wages are a thing of the past in this global economy. People who CHOOSE not to work for a wage they feel is beneath them should not be counted in the official unemployment figures.

Americans are becoming fat and lazy and uneducated. Foreigners come with a range of talents from no skills to advanced engineering degrees. How is it that these foreigners come and get jobs?
Work ethic.

Is 50 cents an hour socially acceptable?

Work ethic.

Who cares about "socially acceptable"? The real question is, are people willing to do that job for that amount? If so, everyone is happy. If not, the employer will have no employees and will either close up shop, or raise what he is willing to pay. Either way, the market dictates.

What do you mean, busted again? The Norwegian worker has a far better deal than does an American worker.

Norway is the Saudi Arabia of Europe. Their national pension fund is filled with oil royalties (oil is 20% of their GDP). Comparing them to the U.S. is specious as we are doing everything we can to destroy the use of our natural resources.

How come the immigration quota for Norwegians to immigrate here is always maxed out if they have it so good over there?

Work ethic.

Who cares about "socially acceptable"? The real question is, are people willing to do that job for that amount? If so, everyone is happy. If not, the employer will have no employees and will either close up shop, or raise what he is willing to pay. Either way, the market dictates.

I pay $15-20 an hour depending on experience. No takers for weekend and night work for someone that will work hard and keep their mouth shut.

1 in 5 is bad, but imagine Greece

4 out 5 Greek men are not working
99 out 100 Greek men that are working, are not working hard:lol:

How come the immigration quota for Norwegians to immigrate here is always maxed out if they have it so good over there?

Here's how it works in Norway: a lot of people just don't work for part of the year because at some point, 100% of their income goes to taxes. People who really enjoye what they do and want to better themselves are stifled - they are the ones who seek immigration into freer economies.

This may be a bit off topic - but how do they compile those poverty stats? Do poor people in other countries have cable TV, air conditioning and cell phones?

Excellent question.

It's like comparing infant mortality rates. The U.S. counts severely premature babies as live births - many other countries consider them still born.

The poor in the U.S. have a better standard of living than what is considered middle class in many other countries. There is no uniform standard for such metrics, which is why they need to be interpreted with some skepticism.

This may be a bit off topic - but how do they compile those poverty stats? Do poor people in other countries have cable TV, air conditioning and cell phones?

I consider myself very fortunate to live in a country where even the poor have cable TV, air conditioning and cell phones.

Work ethic.

Don't worry... Europes on it's way to becoming a continent of banana republics. If shit doesn't change we'll be close behind.

Honestly I don't mind working fields. I do shrubbery as for a little extra cash on the side along with my day job in which I get paid $9.20/hr.

Thing about me is I don't advertise my services. I do what I do well and let the people I work for advertise for me, and I don't have a set price for my work. That's worked out great for me. I let the costumers make an offer, survey the property and decide whether it's acceptable or not. I've never had a problem with a costumer offering me a pretty fair price. Especially the rich folks that live in Montgomery County. They're pretty generous, and a lot of them have confined in me that they usually hire me because I do good work, I'm personable, not demanding, polite, respectful, and speak English.

Hard work and a good attitude pays well.

Forum List

Back