one nation, under god

The problem is that, by saying that this "one nation" is "under god" we are saying that this god rules over us. Not the case. No god exists.

I often ask "conservatives" whether they think the laws of the USC or the bible take precedent. Many struggle with that question.

Some like a thocracy to run their lives a few of us do not. We like true free will.

Free will.. Yes god gave us the free will to submit to him or burn in hell for all eternity.

it was inserted during the cold war.

last time i checked, the cold war was over.

buh-bye

Words matter. Those words "under god" were placed there to divide us, and replaced "indivisible," which included everyone as a citizen and stakeholder, uniting everyone.

"Indivisible" is still in The Pledge

:eusa_shhh:

They should replace "Indivisible" with "Indefatigable".

demand new leaders?
So we will not be re-electing any congress persons?

I will be glad to see Mitch, Boner, Reid, etc go.

ACTON (CBS) – The Pledge of Allegiance is becoming a sore subject in the Acton-Boxborough school district, all because of the words “under God.”

“Atheists and Humanists do not accept the notion of God,” says attorney David Niose.

An Acton family, who is atheist and chooses to remain anonymous, is suing the school district claiming they are discriminating against their children during the pledge. They want the words “under God” taken out

Acton Family Wants “Under God” Removed From Pledge Of Allegiance « CBS Boston

thoughts?

We need to get rid of any mention of "god" until he gets rid of the gays.

I think we've gone WAAAAAYYYYYY overboard on this shit. You don't like the words? Don't say 'em and get a life.
......After all, what other "memorials" do we have, in "remembrance" of.....

.....right?

handjob.gif

If the religious institution employe people, the role as employer shouldn't get any special privileges AT ALL. Obama shouldn't have even tried to appease those power hungry, no uterus, no milk busybodies. See what happened when he did? They felt mighty, and spit at the offer. If they're going to be political organizations, they damned sure should be taxed as such.

So keep churches separate EXCEPT when they do "this" or when they do "that".
The Founders had it right.
They don't need your help.

"No Law regarding......the free exercise thereof"
/

Nothing so fuzzy as "this or that," employment law is established, and what they're insisting on is the right to discriminate. everybody means everybody, and it is THEY who are looking for special privilege.

No, they're fighting for religious liberty. There was a time when liberty was important to Americans. Now, it appears we just want "free" stuff.

The original pledge as written in 1892:

"I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."​

First changed in 1923:

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Which is how it stayed until 1954 when we just had to change it so we could set ourselves apart from those "godless Communists".

The daughter of the original pledge objected to the change.

Time to change it back.

Just out of curiosity... has anyone stopped to think how much it might actually cost to remove In God We Trust from all us currency currently in circulation...about to be circulated? To remake all plate, stamps, dies, etc.? Can't imagine it would be cheap.

The problem is that, by saying that this "one nation" is "under god" we are saying that this god rules over us. Not the case. No god exists.

I often ask "conservatives" whether they think the laws of the USC or the bible take precedent. Many struggle with that question.

I don't see why it's a struggle. Personally, the bible. As a citizen, the USC. Not rocket science.

On topic: I believe that 'under God' is inappropriate in the Pledge. The country is not made up of just believers so it is best to remove it.

But... I am a rational human being who can understand that, liberty means having to support things I do not personally agree with. The pity is that there are too few people like me... and far more who think freedom is for them at the expense of others.

And Jehovah Witnesses refuse to "pledge allegiance" to anything/anyone other than God.

You know what they do about The Pledge in schools????

THEY DON'T SAY IT.

They don't tie up our courts with frivolous bullshit to stop other people from saying it.
:cool:
AGREED! Just let the kids leave the two words out instead of tying up the Court system.

if a bunch of politicians hadn't added it to the pledge in 1954, we wouldn't be "divided" over it now. just another example of government trying to force their views on us. and i say that as a methodist.

Just out of curiosity... has anyone stopped to think how much it might actually cost to remove In God We Trust from all us currency currently in circulation...about to be circulated? To remake all plate, stamps, dies, etc.? Can't imagine it would be cheap.

Eh, just grind it off the old plates. :lol:

You don't have to replace current currency, just don't put it on the new stuff. Besides, this is about the "under god" in the pledge, not the US motto on coins. We don't require school children read their money every morning.

Forum List

Back