One more down, many more to go.

Artevelde

Mar 20, 2012
Brussels, Belgium
Another Al qaeda terrorist killed. Many more to go.

From the BBC News site:

29 May 2012 Last updated at 09:26 GMT Share this pageEmail Print Share this page

One of the most senior al-Qaeda figures in Afghanistan was killed in a weekend air strike, Nato-led forces say.

In a statement, Nato described Saudi-born Sakhar al-Taifi as the group's second most senior figure in Afghanistan.

He commanded foreign insurgents and directed attacks against coalition and Afghan forces, the statement said.

But Taliban sources in Kunar deny Al-Taifi was killed and claim he left the area three months ago.

Sakhar al-Taifi died in "a precision air strike" in the Watahpur district of Kunar province on Sunday night, according to the Nato statement. Another rank and file member of al-Qaeda was killed at the same time, it said.

Al-Taifi, who also went by the names of Mustaq and Nasim, arranged for weapons and insurgent fighters to be transported into Afghanistan, Nato says.

He reportedly had strong links to Taliban fighters in the area.

Nato estimates that there are fewer than 100 al-Qaeda operatives in the country. However, the border with Pakistan where the fighters operate, is porous, says the BBC's Quentin Sommerville in Kabul.

Troops on the ground often report hearing the voices of Arabic-speaking insurgents over radios - when they do, immediate attacks are launched against those sites, he says.

So what? Remember when you killed the cockroach in your kitchen, did that make them stop coming after your food?

As long as the CIA is supporting them there's gonna be a never ending supply of "al qaida".

From the OP's post:
But Taliban sources in Kunar deny Al-Taifi was killed and claim he left the area three months ago.

Troops on the ground often report hearing the voices of Arabic-speaking insurgents over radios - when they do, immediate attacks are launched against those sites, he says.
What does that even MEAN?

How do we know that some leadership has actually been killed? Is it because obama says so?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/29/w...r-on-al-qaeda.html?_r=1&partner=MYWAY&ei=5065

WASHINGTON — This was the enemy, served up in the latest chart from the intelligence agencies: 15 Qaeda suspects in Yemen with Western ties. The mug shots and brief biographies resembled a high school yearbook layout. Several were Americans. Two were teenagers, including a girl who looked even younger than her 17 years.

His first term has seen private warnings from top officials about a “Whac-A-Mole” approach to counterterrorism; the invention of a new category of aerial attack following complaints of careless targeting; and presidential acquiescence in a formula for counting civilian deaths that some officials think is skewed to produce low numbers.

The administration’s failure to forge a clear detention policy has created the impression among some members of Congress of a take-no-prisoners policy. And Mr. Obama’s ambassador to Pakistan, Cameron P. Munter, has complained to colleagues that the C.I.A.’s strikes drive American policy there, saying “he didn’t realize his main job was to kill people,” a colleague said.

War by a$$asination has never been successful. This one is nothing to be proud of.

California Girl, et al,

Yes, California Girl is right on the money.

The correct analogy is the "Starfish;" not a snake. If you cut it in half, right though its core (brain), you don't get one dead starfish; but, two live ones.

So what? Remember when you killed the cockroach in your kitchen, did that make them stop coming after your food?

Point missed. Have you ever cut of the head of a snake and had that snake return?

AQ are a tad more advanced than snakes. Killing off their leadership, while a good thing, is not a long term solution. Leaders can be replaced.
(COMMENT)

Back in the days of the US HQ in the old Presidential Palace in Baghdad (North Wing), we use to joke that there was no more dangerous job in the world - then being the Number Two guy in any terrorist organization. It seemed like every week, we read a FLASH IIR that stated the #2 of AQ had been killed. The life expectancy of the #2 guy wasn't very long; sometimes only weeks. And no sooner we kill one, then another took his place.

Anti-Government Insurgents, Anti-Occupation Forces, and terrorist organizations bent on revenge, are notoriously difficult to eliminate through military and security means. This is particularly true in the Middle East, Persian Gulf, and Afghanistan.

The is a great little book: Terrorism Ends UNDERSTANDING THE DECLINE AND DEMISE OF TERRORIST CAMPAIGNS by Audrey Kurth Cronin.
  • Cronin, Audrey Kurth (2009-08-24). How Terrorism Ends: Understanding the Decline and Demise of Terrorist Campaigns . Princeton University Press. Kindle Edition.

One of the more effective ways to address these threats, at least hurt them significantly, is to deprive them of their popular support from the indigenous population. It has been known to happen that the more traditional military operations (search and destroy for example) over time create unavoidable events that energize the local population against US forces. When this happens, it will prolong the struggle, not shorten it; even if the S&D Op result in significant enemy kills.

There are many recorded instances of engagements with terrorist organizations. From Table 4 of the book (CHAPTER 4), you'll see a long list of factors that were key in the demise of a large number of these historical enemies. It does address how decapitation strategies impact terrorism; but usually, the demise is brought about, more often than not, by some sort of operational failure, as oppose to successful security intervention.

In the case of Afghanistan, The Taliban and al-Qaeda, represent two completely different kinds of threats, so while a single strategy may have some impact on both threats, it may not be focused enough to eradicate either threat entirely.

Just my thought, one man's view.

Most Respectfully,
R

Last edited:
California Girl, et al,

Yes, California Girl is right on the money.

The correct analogy is the "Starfish;" not a snake. If you cut it in half, right though its core (brain), you don't get one dead starfish; but, two live ones.

Point missed. Have you ever cut of the head of a snake and had that snake return?

AQ are a tad more advanced than snakes. Killing off their leadership, while a good thing, is not a long term solution. Leaders can be replaced.
(COMMENT)

Back in the days of the US HQ in the old Presidential Palace in Baghdad (North Wing), we use to joke that there was no more dangerous job in the world - then being the Number Two guy in any terrorist organization. It seemed like every week, we read a FLASH IIR that stated the #2 of AQ had been killed. The life expectancy of the #2 guy wasn't very long; sometimes only weeks. And no sooner we kill one, then another took his place.

Anti-Government Insurgents, Anti-Occupation Forces, and terrorist organizations bent on revenge, are notoriously difficult to eliminate through military and security means. This is particularly true in the Middle East, Persian Gulf, and Afghanistan.

The is a great little book: Terrorism Ends UNDERSTANDING THE DECLINE AND DEMISE OF TERRORIST CAMPAIGNS by Audrey Kurth Cronin.
  • Cronin, Audrey Kurth (2009-08-24). How Terrorism Ends: Understanding the Decline and Demise of Terrorist Campaigns . Princeton University Press. Kindle Edition.

One of the more effective ways to address these threats, at least hurt them significantly, is to deprive them of their popular support from the indigenous population. It has been known to happen that the more traditional military operations (search and destroy for example) over time create unavoidable events that energize the local population against US forces. When this happens, it will prolong the struggle, not shorten it; even if the S&D Op result in significant enemy kills.

There are many recorded instances of engagements with terrorist organizations. From Table 4 of the book (CHAPTER 4), you'll see a long list of factors that were key in the demise of a large number of these historical enemies. It does address how decapitation strategies impact terrorism; but usually, the demise is brought about, more often than not, by some sort of operational failure, as oppose to successful security intervention.

In the case of Afghanistan, The Taliban and al-Qaeda, represent two completely different kinds of threats, so while a single strategy may have some impact on both threats, it may not be focused enough to eradicate either threat entirely.

Just my thought, one man's view.

Most Respectfully,
R

What threat do the Taliban pose to the US, they have no nuke, no planes, no tanks, no nothing! They never attacked the US and never had any plans to, and they never did any "terrorism" against western targets. So why are we even there?

It's the only place he can be since he's still alive since there is ZERO proof that anyone killed him.

The only place he can be?:rolleyes: bullshit.:eusa_liar:

Ok, give me another place the Seals dropped him off at. And remember, there's ZERO proof that he's dead.

If hes not dead why are all wives deported and why did Pakistan try that Doctor for treason? also you don't have any proof he is still alive either.:eusa_liar:

The only place he can be?:rolleyes: bullshit.:eusa_liar:

Ok, give me another place the Seals dropped him off at. And remember, there's ZERO proof that he's dead.

If hes not dead why are all wives deported and why did Pakistan try that Doctor for treason? also you don't have any proof he is still alive either.:eusa_liar:

Nobody cares what happens to the people you mention.
Last time I saw a video of him, he was alive, therefore, until another video or picture or something proves otherwise, a rational thinking person can only conclude that he's not dead.

Last time I saw a video of him, he was alive, therefore, until another video or picture or something proves otherwise, a rational thinking person can only conclude that he's not dead.

The last time I saw a video of 2pac and Elvis they were alive, so they must still be living.:eusa_liar:

The last time I saw a video of 2pac and Elvis they were alive, so they must still be living.:eusa_liar:

When Cary Grant died, I mentioned it to a friend of mine, a woman, who said "He was so young! I just saw him in a movie. How did he die?" In some surprise I said, "Cary Grant was 80, the movie you saw was made in 1945."

This is the mentality you are dealing with. They know what they saw. Osama Bin Laden will always live and Cary Grant will always be young and handsome.

Forum List

Back