One item on Paul's platform

JimH52

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2007
US
One item on Paul's platform is to remove federal regulations for oil and coal companies and give oversight to the states. So, what you will end up with is states competing for oill and coal exploration. Each will see how few regulations they can offer to the oil and coal powers. That is a disaster in the making.

The race to the bottom. I find it bafflingly amazing that he still wants to give these oil companies essentially no oversight unless a state does something. You'd figure after one of the most giant environmental fuckups in history BP just pulled off, might want to rethink your position.

The race to the bottom. I find it bafflingly amazing that he still wants to give these oil companies essentially no oversight unless a state does something. You'd figure after one of the most giant environmental fuckups in history BP just pulled off, might want to rethink your position.

As the oil spill in the Gulf gets worse, you would think he would back off this position. Perhaps he has bought Limpbaugh's position of doing nothing and letting the sea take care of itself.

As this disaster widens, I don't think that there will be any chance of anyone doing any deep offshore drilling in US waters, perhaps not even off US shores beyond the territorial limit.

We saw the price in lives paid in the coal mines as operators were not held responsible for their safety violations. We see the price in Gulf of the penny ante nonsense that BP did in that operation. Do we dare not regulate these people? How much of our nation do we allow them to foul?

Time to look for a very quick exit strategy from the use of any fossil fuel at all.

The big oil spill is a bad thing. I'm not making light of that. However, we can't let a set back like that keep us from becoming less dependent on foreign oil by drilling out our own. Industry in the US, and everywhere else in the world, have always had set backs to over come. What I'm saying is don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

The big oil spill is a bad thing. I'm not making light of that. However, we can't let a set back like that keep us from becoming less dependent on foreign oil by drilling out our own. Industry in the US, and everywhere else in the world, have always had set backs to over come. What I'm saying is don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Any oil obtained from off our shore, will be put on the world market. When the worldwide demand is great, we will pay a very high price for that oil, when the demand is less, we will pay less.

The only way that we will see any energy independence will be when we have a significant percentage of our transportation running on non-petroleum derived energy. We had a viable EV being sold here in 1997, in 2002 made available to individuals. That was stopped by GM and Chevron.

Toyota RAV4 EV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In March 2002, due to a shift in corporate policy, the Toyota RAV4-EV was made available for sale to the general public, but only 328 of them sold. No one knows for certain what prompted Toyota to change their position on the RAV4-EV, since they had long since fulfilled their obligations under the MOA with the California Air Resources Board's zero-emissions vehicle (ZEV) mandate via its fleet lease program.

The MSRP was USD 42,000; but in California, ZIP-grant rebates of USD 9,000, decreasing in 2003 to USD 5,000, and a USD 4,000 credit from the Internal Revenue Service brought the price down to a more palatable USD 29,000 (USD 33,000 for some 2003 deliveries), including the home charger.[2]

By November 2002, the 328 RAV4-EV’s Toyota had committed to were sold, yet demand was continuing to build. Toyota was caught off-guard by the extent of the demand because the vehicle's retail buyers had outsold the projections far faster than the vehicles could be supplied to market - despite very little advertising, and very little public awareness of the product.

There was certainly a market for these vehicles, because many GM EV1, Ford Ranger EV and Honda EV Plus drivers had been reluctantly forced to surrender their cars – in some cases to the crusher – and had become disillusioned with the carmakers. Potential buyers were encouraged by the perception that Toyota was finally playing fair.

As it turned out, there were more RAV4-EVs sold than there were cars available. It is noteworthy that Toyota did, in fact, play fair and filled every last order despite the fact that the last few dozen vehicles had to be painstakingly assembled from spare parts due to a shortfall of production components. This unexpected development caused deliveries to trickle on into September 2003. It also caused variations in the vehicles such as heated seats, retractable antennae, mats, etc.

Once the last of the 328 EVs was sold in November 2002, the website disappeared and the EV program was unceremoniously scrapped. No additional cars could be bought because Toyota didn’t have anything to sell. The RAV4-EV was based on the 1996-2000 gasoline powered RAV4, which had become obsolete. Production of additional vehicles would only be possible under one of two different scenarios. The first would be if the RAV4-EV was redesigned to fit the 2003 RAV4, and the second would be if production of the 1996 version was resumed. Toyota claimed that tens of thousands of orders would have been necessary for them to resume or continue production, and development time would have been a major obstacle.

Whether or not Toyota wanted to continue production, it was unlikely to be able to do so because the EV-95 battery was no longer available. Chevron had inherited control of the worldwide patent rights for the NiMH EV-95 battery when it merged with Texaco, which had purchased them from General Motors. Chevron's unit won a USD 30,000,000 settlement from Toyota and Panasonic, and the production line for the large NiMH batteries was closed down and dismantled. This case was settled in the ICC International Court of Arbitration, and not publicised due to a gag order placed on all parties involved.[3][4] Only smaller NiMH batteries, incapable of powering an electric vehicle or plugging in, are currently allowed by Chevron-Texaco.[5]

The government should declare Chevron's control of that patent null and void due to National Security Interests.

I look for Old Rocksinthehead to start getting around on horseback in the not-too-distant future. :lol:

Well, you are partly correct. I have already been told by some of my cousins that own ranches that my help will be expected at times. when I move back home. While I am not that fond of horses, I do enjoy working the cattle with my cousins.

I will still be driving my vehicles. Hopefully, I will be able replace the present engine on my very useful big van with an efficient diesel that I can run on vegitable oil.

As this disaster widens, I don't think that there will be any chance of anyone doing any deep offshore drilling in US waters, perhaps not even off US shores beyond the territorial limit.

We saw the price in lives paid in the coal mines as operators were not held responsible for their safety violations. We see the price in Gulf of the penny ante nonsense that BP did in that operation. Do we dare not regulate these people? How much of our nation do we allow them to foul?

Time to look for a very quick exit strategy from the use of any fossil fuel at all.

yeah, the president certainly put the kibosh on any drilling when he announced the moratorium.

Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead - NYTimes.com

WASHINGTON — In the days since President Obama announced a moratorium on permits for drilling new offshore oil wells and a halt to a controversial type of environmental waiver that was given to the Deepwater Horizon rig, at least seven new permits for various types of drilling and five environmental waivers have been granted, according to records.

The records also indicate that since the April 20 explosion on the rig, federal regulators have granted at least 19 environmental waivers for gulf drilling projects and at least 17 drilling permits, most of which were for types of work like that on the Deepwater Horizon shortly before it exploded, pouring a ceaseless current of oil into the Gulf of Mexico.

he's as full of shit on this matter as he is on everything else.

yeah, the president certainly put the kibosh on any drilling when he announced the moratorium.

Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead - NYTimes.com

WASHINGTON — In the days since President Obama announced a moratorium on permits for drilling new offshore oil wells and a halt to a controversial type of environmental waiver that was given to the Deepwater Horizon rig, at least seven new permits for various types of drilling and five environmental waivers have been granted, according to records.

The records also indicate that since the April 20 explosion on the rig, federal regulators have granted at least 19 environmental waivers for gulf drilling projects and at least 17 drilling permits, most of which were for types of work like that on the Deepwater Horizon shortly before it exploded, pouring a ceaseless current of oil into the Gulf of Mexico.

he's as full of shit on this matter as he is on everything else.

Seems the problem with Obama is he tries to achieve compromise - giving in to the drill baby drill crowd who now blame him for drilling.
Why anyone would want his job amazes me. He'd be better off governing as did Bush, hire Cheney to make all the decisions and screw the American people. The oil may kill an entire ecosystem, but is that any reason to destroy a private company? Let BP and Hailburton off the hook, the tax payers can pay for the damage. That's the only legit form of entitlement - corporate welfare.

One item on Paul's platform is to remove federal regulations for oil and coal companies and give oversight to the states. So, what you will end up with is states competing for oill and coal exploration. Each will see how few regulations they can offer to the oil and coal powers. That is a disaster in the making.

The whole STATES RIGHTS debate is in large part motivated by the above, in my opinion.

Why?

Because it is easier for multinational corporations to pressure a state and get the states competing with each other, than it is to pressure the FEDs.

This is still another variant of the DIVIDE AND CONQUER system that is destroying the fabric of the Republic.

It appeals to the libertarian mindset because the libertarian mindset has deluded itself into thinking that local government is somehow more honest and sensible than FED government.

Sheer folly to image that, of course.

Last edited:
Because it is easier for multinational corporations to pressure a state and get the states competing with each other, than it is to pressure the FEDs.
Actually, it's harder.

How much less do you think it costs those dreaded multinational corporations to lobby only on Capitoline Hill, rather than in numerous state houses? You think paying, housing and shuttling all those lobbyists around would come cheap?

Really, you need to think some of your anti-libertarian rantings through a little bit.

Is there a link with some details on this?

Plus, you give the impression that states currently do not regulate oil and gas operations.

Last edited:
The only way that we will see any energy independence will be when we have a significant percentage of our transportation running on non-petroleum derived energy. We had a viable EV being sold here in 1997, in 2002 made available to individuals.

Where are we supposed to get the electricity to charge the batteries on all those electric cars, magic?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back