One huge political difference between Dems and Reps...

Being a gun owner myself; I'm not influenced by the NRA or the pro-gun extremists and see a need for tightening up restrictions on who can own a gun. I'm willing to consider anything logical, including the posters suggestion.

As a gun owner ... I hate the NRA, and throw their publications in the garbage constantly.
I don't trust the government nor Progressives with honoring anything they agree upon.

I understand a hundred smalls steps down the road get you further than you think in the long run.
Logic didn't change between Friday of last week and Wednesday this week just because some fruitloop went nuts.
I am not influenced by an emotional knee-jerk response aimed at giving the federal government more power over my rights.

I can respect your desire to consider what you deem to be a logical ... Yet lasting sacrifice of your rights ... But I am certainly not going to agree with you.

Following THAT "logic", why should Iranians "sacrifice" their freedom to own a nuke?
They aren't, and any claim that they are is nothing but opinion.

Militarily speaking, for example, the United States will never invade Iran...The country is massive, and the mountains there make invasion / conquer damn-near guaranteed impossible - the challenge too great, the price to do so too high. 'Inviting terrible retribution' - that's another thing, as we could bomb the crap out of them.

Iran, btw, doesn't even have to acquire a 'nuke'. If they can create moderate to high-grade nuclear material they could build dirty bombs that could be given to their trusted surrogates to use against their enemies, giving them 'plausible deniability'.

Close the gun show loophole. Background checks on a national database. Ban semi-automatic firing systems.

I didn't ask what you wanted to happen ... I asked what was your compromise.
Getting everything you want isn't any kind of compromise ... :dunno:

My position is to ban all semi-automatic firing systems, permit only bolt action rifles, revolvers and pump action shotguns. I'm willing to compromise on some semi-automatic firing systems. That's my compromise. What's yours?

Ban all future sales of semi-auto's ? Or are you talking about a confiscation ?
I'd give citizens a five year amnesty program to turn in existing semi-automatics for a cash buy back. If they have not sold back their guns in five years, every discharge of a semi-automatic would garner a mandatory ten year federal prison sentence.

I'd give citizens a five year amnesty program to turn in existing semi-automatics for a cash buy back. If they have not sold back their guns in five years, every discharge of a semi-automatic would garner a mandatory ten year federal prison sentence.
There is only 1 problem - it is not illegal to own a semi-automatic weapon, and banning them would NOT have prevented the Vegas attack (IMO).

The millionaire murderer could still perpetrate the shooting with other weapons, and he could still have gotten semi-automatic weapons / automatic weapons from criminals who ignore the law.

There is only 1 problem - it is not illegal to own a semi-automatic weapon, and banning them would NOT have prevented the Vegas attack (IMO).

The millionaire murderer could still perpetrate the shooting with other weapons, and he could still have gotten semi-automatic weapons / automatic weapons from criminals who ignore the law.
Do you see a correlation between the flooding of American streets with the infamous 'Saturday Night Specials' in the 1970s and an increase in gun violence?

Laws are not panaceas. Speeders still prowl the roads in spite of speed limit laws. But enforcement of speed limits have proven to reduce highway deaths.

No law will prevent those with means from obtaining illegal weapons. But surely it can be said they will reduce the numbers of gun tragedies.

Nothing is perfect. But seeking the perfect is the enemy of the possible.

Do you see a correlation between the flooding of American streets with the infamous 'Saturday Night Specials' in the 1970s and an increase in gun violence?

Laws are not panaceas. Speeders still prowl the roads in spite of speed limit laws. But enforcement of speed limits have proven to reduce highway deaths.

No law will prevent those with means from obtaining illegal weapons. But surely it can be said they will reduce the numbers of gun tragedies.

Sounds wonderful...Then we see the REALTY.

The REALITY is that no legislation would have prevented the attack and will not prevent attacks in the future.

And the ones preaching so hard to 'save people' by limiting / stripping away the 2nd Amendment are the same people who illegally armed Mexican Drug Cartels, the Muslim Brotherhood, Al Qaeda, and ISIS.

Easy Observation:

Democrats: Criminal Gangs, violent Antifa Rioters, Terrorist sympathizers, Sanctuary Cities for illegal alien criminals, Klan, Nation of Islam, La Raza, Black Panthers, Muslim Brotherhood, racist Aztlán Nationalist, racist BLM separatist, deranged men in the women’s restrooms, ghettos, failed schools, cop killers, Mexican drug cartel, human traffickers, high school drop-out losers, crime, corruption, drive-by shootings, race riots, Mafia, mass voter fraud....….

Republicans: Chamber of Commerce, PTA, Rotary Club, American Legion, 4H Club, Lion’s Club, Boy Scouts, Little League, VFW, great neighborhoods, good schools, National Honor Society, Junior League…… juuuuust grilling and chilling…..

Why don't libs prove they can handle gun violence in 1 city - like Chicago - before declaring they know what is best and are most capable to take care of the entire country.

The only things more gun legislation would do would be to give liberals / politicians more power, make Americans less safe, strip Americans of Rights, and benefit the ctiminals who already igore existing laws.
What a great idea!

Let's make Chicago a testbed for new gun laws. When the killings stop there (and not because they run out of targets), we can implement them everywhere.

Go get 'em, Rahm!!!

The REALITY is that no legislation would have prevented the attack and will not prevent attacks in the future.

And the ones preaching so hard to 'save people' by limiting / stripping away the 2nd Amendment are the same people who illegally armed Mexican Drug Cartels, the Muslim Brotherhood, Al Qaeda, and ISIS.
Because you cannot see perfection in legislation, should we abandon the means we have to stem the tide of gun violence?

Perfection is the enemy of the possible.

And George Bush's administration floated the program 'End Around' running guns to Mexico. Don't let cheap political points obscure the debate.

Because you cannot see perfection in legislation, should we abandon the means we have to stem the tide of gun violence?

'To STEM': "...to stop something from spreading or increasing, especially something bad."

That is just the point - you have no means to stop the tide of gun violence. NO NEW LEGISLATION WOULD HAVE STOPPED THE VEGAS ATTACK OR FUTURE SUCH ATTACKS.

The reason we can not see the 'perfection in legislation' is because THERE IS NO PERFECTION IN LEGISLATION!

('If you like your plan you can keep your plan'...helloooooooo. :p )

And George Bush's administration floated the program 'End Around' running guns to Mexico. Don't let cheap political points obscure the debate.
See? You're not even willing to admit the problem.

".. gun violence.." Seriously?

Why don't we address the real problem? "... crazy people who want to kill the fuck out of other people .."

See? You're not even willing to admit the problem. ".. gun violence.." Seriously? Why don't we address the real problem? "... crazy people who want to kill the fuck out of other people .."

upload_2017-10-4_12-25-27.jpeg

That pretty well sums it up!

If Liberals can end gun violence / murder by passing legislation, because people ALWAYS obey the law, why don't they just pass a law that states it is illegal for someone to kill another human being? Oh wait - that's already been done. How's that working out?

:p

'To STEM': "...to stop something from spreading or increasing, especially something bad."

That is just the point - you have no means to stop the tide of gun violence. NO NEW LEGISLATION WOULD HAVE STOPPED THE VEGAS ATTACK OR FUTURE SUCH ATTACKS.

The reason we can not see the 'perfection in legislation' is because THERE IS NO PERFECTION IN LEGISLATION!

('If you like your plan you can keep your plan'...helloooooooo. :p )
Because there is no perfection in legislation, there should be no legislation? Is that your position?

See? You're not even willing to admit the problem.

".. gun violence.." Seriously?

Why don't we address the real problem? "... crazy people who want to kill the fuck out of other people .."
Your logic seems to say everyone who shoots someone is insane. Is that your position?

Because there is no perfection in legislation, there should be no legislation? Is that your position?

Nope. I did not say that - you did. You suggested there was such a thing as 'perfection in legislation', which has never been the case with any legislation.

Nope. I did not say that - you did. You suggested there was such a thing as 'perfection in legislation', which has never been the case with any legislation.
Where, oh where did I say there is perfection in legislation? I've said nothing of the sort.

From your argument, I inferred that since there is no perfection, no legislation should be considered. Is that about the whole of it?

From your argument, I inferred that since there is no perfection, no legislation should be considered. Is that about the whole of it?
So you did not say 'just because you can't see the perfection in legislation'?

As in post #109 where someone else calling themselves 'Nosmo King' stated:

"Because you cannot see perfection in legislation, should we abandon the means we have to stem the tide of gun violence?"

So you did not say 'just because you can't see the perfection in legislation'? Perhaps I have you confused with some other snowflake. If so, my apologies.
No one can see perfection in legislation. But because something is imperfect does that by default make it useless?

"Because you cannot see perfection in legislation, should we abandon the means we have to stem the tide of gun violence?"
No one can see perfection in legislation.

These are both YOU, right? Just checking....

Maybe when you say 'YOU can not see the perfection in legislation' you mean 'Just because there is no perfection in legislation'. Is that it?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back